Same ol' ft driveshaft problem

ironsled77

Hi all! New guy here....I just picked up a new to me '07 rtv 900. Guess what it rattles. So after a little research I have come to find that I already have an "updated" front shaft with cv joints. It is worn out. It appears to be the softer splines in the cv are worn out and not the bearing. A quick call to kubota and a match up of the serial number they have the right shaft in stock :beatdeadhorse5: yup......$489 . They don't make a rebuild kit!?!? Wow way to corner the market. So my question is has anyone found a new source for a ft driveshaft? Or a rebuild kit? Thanks!

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the best forum around. :) Oh yes, many of us have been through this. The two piece shaft in the older models is also known as the rattler. I replaced the front shaft several times on my 2005 model RTV 900 during the 4200 hrs I had it. Mark Sibole has replaced the joints in his and there is a thread on it here. My 2011 RTV came with the one piece shaft from front to back and it has yet to rattle in the 3500 hrs on this machine.
As those cast yolks on the two piece become worn , they will also gradually wear on the steel spline they rest on, so it is a good idea to keep a check on them or replace. There is also a fellow that did a fix many years ago on the old style. It is called cornejo- post on that here as well. :)
I think that you were probably quoted a price on the updated one piece shaft at 489. If so you will need to do a little altering where the carrier bearing is on the old style. One good thing -the new one piece shaft will eliminate that bearing. It also has rubber boots on both ends. bordercollie

edit http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12167&highlight=cornejo

ironsled77

Thanks for the reply. Yes I am away of all the fixes and mods that are out there. I already have the updated one piece cv style drive shaft and it is worn out. I have 3900 hrs on the machine. On the traditional one you can replace the u joints. On the cv ones you should be able to rebuild the cv joint and the bearing. I called kubota and of course....... no parts diagram and calls for total replacement. Has anyone ever rebuilt the cv style one with new joints? Or found an aftermarket one from a third party like rhino or lonestar?

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
take it to a good machine shop. i am sure they can convert it to a readily available joint. or they might have a source for one like it.

ironsled77

Thanks but what fun is that... I'm a DIY type. I may have a line on something for a rebuild. I will keep ya posted. Thanks

ironsled77

It looks as if NTN makes the CV for Kubota only and will not release a set. Smells like bull shit to me. I am out of options and the white stuff will be flying soon. I will be forced to buy a new one from kubota

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
might check Ebay. there are some kubota propeller shafts on there for cheap. better know your part number though

ironsled77

So I eneded up buying a spare and I sold the machine. New owner didnt want it! Its for sale now if anyone is interested.