Turbo

RogerwhO,

Every list I have found has a whole bunch of different KP35s listed for different apps. You are the first person to answer me about trying this on our own, thanks for the help.

How do you like it?

Al

Rogerwh0

The Turbo is used for many different applications but as far as I know they are allthe same turbo regardless what they are used on.
I love my setup. Runs great and have had no problems at all. I bought steel piping from speedway motors for all the cross over pipes. They had the correct bends just had to shorten them a little.

Attachments

• IMG_5321.jpg
    IMG_5321.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 289

Rogerwh0

I can get a list of the main parts I bought if you need. Some of the couplers are just eBay inter-cooler couplers. There are exact fit couplers and elbows out there for less than $15 if you know what you need.

Rogerwh0

Need 2 Combo Exhaust Bend/Header Tubing, 1-1/2 Inch Part number 91013870, From Speedway motors
These work for the crossover pipes with a little modification.

Need 1 Blue 1.5" to 2" 90 Degree Silicone Elbow Reducer Coupler New Silicon Turbo.. From Ebay to hook up to stock air cleaner.

also need 2 1.5 couplers to attach to turbo and intake. I bought a 3" piece but wasted most of it.
I bought 2 turbo install kits to get the feed line and drain flange but Should have made the flange and threaded a 1/2 45 deg nipple into it. As that is what I ended up doing anyways. A few brass fittings and some 1/4 inch plate to cut the mounting flanges out of is all. I did also have a piece of heavy wall 1"id tubing bent to come from the manifold to the turbo.

I had everything laid out prior to install and did not have any snags other that a few fitting for the feed and drain lines.

Cajunrotor

Site Supporter
I'll be interested to "hear" how that works out for you, Orange Buggy.

I operate my '05 RTV 900 in the same area.

OrangeBuggy

I'll be interested to "hear" how that works out for you, Orange Buggy.

I operate my '05 RTV 900 in the same area.

Yup, me to....from all I've read, it should do the job. We were riding at elevation from 9700ft. to 13000ft and she just didn't like it. This should take care of the problem.

Meinfiled

Wow, what a great job on the turbo install. Is the unit still performing well? Just wondering if you have had any heat issues or oiling problems.

I would like to do an install on my 900....couple of questions:

Where did you buy the "turbo install kits"?
Where does the pressure oil line that feeds the turbo tap into the oiling system in the engine? Is there a fitting in the head or something?
You mentioned you have the engine timing and fuel adjustment parameters to match the turbo, is it possible to share these?

Thanks again, looks great!:wow:
Chris

Meinfiled

Another question...I cant tell from the pictures but does that unit have a wastegate?
Also might be fun to add a mini intercooler!

Thanks again,
C

ovrszd

I'm also concerned about a wastegate??

How do you control the amount of boost??

Or are you just running on the maximum the turbo can create and hoping it's alright??

This looks like a great Winter Shop project to me!!!! Thanks for the thread and any updates anyone can offer.

Looking forward to an update from Orangebuggy as well!!!! :)

ovrszd

Wow, what a great job on the turbo install. Is the unit still performing well? Just wondering if you have had any heat issues or oiling problems.

I would like to do an install on my 900....couple of questions:

Where did you buy the "turbo install kits"?
Where does the pressure oil line that feeds the turbo tap into the oiling system in the engine? Is there a fitting in the head or something?
You mentioned you have the engine timing and fuel adjustment parameters to match the turbo, is it possible to share these?

Thanks again, looks great!:wow:
Chris

Chris,

Here's a link to the instructions they were talking about. Great info with excellent pictures.

http://www.orangeaftermarket.com/assets/images/SWAG/RTV900Install.pdf

Rogerwh0

THe Turbo and the machine are performing flawlessly. Starts and runs better than it ever did before. The waste gate is welded shut.... The kit manufacturer did it before they sold me the turbo. The turbo/engine does not build enough boost to need a waste gate as it would never build enough pressure to need let any blow off..

The oil pressure feed line comes off a T installed on the oil pressure sender, I returned the oil to the port that is the dipstick hole on other motors. It is where Kubota returns the oil on the factory turbo engines. They sell a fitting that slides right in.

Todays project is to paint the high intake I built!

Attachments

• IMG_6560.jpg
    IMG_6560.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_6554.jpg
    IMG_6554.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 118

Meinfiled

Looking good....I thought about doing that on mine.

I read through the instructions from SWAG...couple of things bothered me. No way I am drilling into the oil pan to install the oil return line. I can't believe they would recommend doing this without removing the oil pan. Metal shavings pumping through the engine could easily clog an oiling hole in the crank or main bearing journal, cause oil starvation and ruin an engine.
Also, you mentioned the wastegate was welded shut. Not so sure that is such a good idea on a turbo that has an adjustable boost. If the adjustment malfunctioned, it seems that unit might build boost to an unsafe level, creating engine compression that might blow head gaskets, bend rods or damage pistons. I cant see any advantages on welding it shut.

And I assume the relief valve adjustment is to increase hydro-static pressure? This could be good overall in the performance of the RTV, but I would want to see the factory parameters before I moved ahead with this.

Another thing....the injection pump on the mini series 3 cylinder engines is mounted into the engine block and doesn't look very adjustable. Probably could only get a degree or two of timing change. Anyone have experience adjusting these little units? Anyone modified the injectors?

I have not seen the factory service manual, does anyone know if it lists the amount of HP and torque the hydrostatic transmission will handle? I plan to design a turbo system and need to know these limits.

After doing some research, these are heavy duty little engines. I think they might be a great candidate for some minor tweaking and could probably produce some great HP and torque safely if modified correctly. I plan to dyno the engine, monitor boost and exhaust gas temps, etc to ensure a long lasting reliable modification. More to come!

Thanks for all the input!
C