throwing bushhog

grizz43

where can i get a somekind of sheild for my 4 ft bush hog the opening is in front of the shredder throwing dirt and grass all over me and the back of tractor please help grizz

ki0ho

Gold Site Supporter
Chains

Go to your dealer, look at one with chains...then go home and build your own for about half price.......:tiphat::tiphat: Later Jerry

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter

Yup, that's basically it. It's a length of metal rod running the width of the mower with about 3 links of chain dangling from it. The top link can be tack welded to the rod or it can have spacers between each length of chain. It doesn't necessarily stop things being thrown but it does slow them down a lot.

Nothing hurts worst than being hit on the back of the head by something hard and spiky traveling at 60 mph. It'll bring a tear to your eye for sure.

Good luck.

rj's barn

half inch rubber cattle mat. cut it to fit just short of the bottom skids of the brush hog. drill some holes in the front and seal it down with some grade 2 bolts and washers. If you dont have enough of a vertical lip on the front weld some mild angle iron to it to create that lip. that'll cut down on the chaff getting blown up on you and deflect some of the larger obstacles you might hit. nothing worse than looking back at your rows when you hit a fresh cowpie with an unshielded brush hog. lotsa yuck.

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
half inch rubber cattle mat. cut it to fit just short of the bottom skids of the brush hog. drill some holes in the front and seal it down with some grade 2 bolts and washers. If you dont have enough of a vertical lip on the front weld some mild angle iron to it to create that lip. that'll cut down on the chaff getting blown up on you and deflect some of the larger obstacles you might hit. nothing worse than looking back at your rows when you hit a fresh cowpie with an unshielded brush hog. lotsa yuck.

I tried the heavy duty rubber method. It may have been the way I rigged it up but it didn't last a season before it was all torn up. It did work well though while it lasted.

rj's barn

Yup. It wont last you too long Tex. It holds back more blown chaff than chains but doesnt have near the longevity. I've had my eye out for some mat that is layered rubber with cloth woven between the layers that will flex better than the solid pressed together rubber plate we commonly see at the big chain farm and ranch stores. My landpride brush hog came from the factory with a rubber front that has managed to last 2 hard seasons of cutting and its time to replace it.