Considering a new RTV 1100 or Polaris Ranger Diesel???

PA Jeep

New to UTV's and new to this great forum. I'm looking to purchase either an RTV 1100 or the Polaris Ranger Diesel. Cost of both are close when you buy all the accessories to make the Ranger similar to the RTV, Any input is appreciated. I'm concerened with the RTV on the trail with ground clearance, weight and cab height being my biggest. Looking for any input from those that use their RTV to hunt/trail and light farm work. Thanks for the help I'm purchasing something in the next two weeks.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hi PA Jeep. Welcome to Net Tractor Talk. Glad you found us.

I do not know the polaris vehicle at all. I do wonder who makes their diesel? To me only, Kubota has a leg up since they've been making their own diesels for decades. Caveat, I'm a huge fan of the RTV 1100.

Here is a link to a practically new RTV 1100 (6 hours on the meter :eek:) Depending on where you are in PA, it might not be to far from you.
http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14001

semper_fi

Looked at them both before I bought. I ran Polaris' 4wheelers and really was trying to justify the Ranger, but one look at the quality difference between them and it was no contest...... Kubota! I've got a couple of hundred hours and two winters on my 1100 and I am now sure I made the right decision. I plow snow with a power angle blade in my shirt sleeves and sold my Polaris with its plow! I live up north in Bradford County, Pa. and we really got dumped on this year. The Kubota never hiccuped at all. And the air conditioning in this heat is a real plus.

PA Jeep

I'm in Somerset and we get a bunch of snow also. I have a Bobcat for the snowplowing and a snowmobile for the deep stuff. Do you ever take the RTV on the trail or through the woods to pick up a deer. I'm concerned about ground clearance and weight.

semper_fi

Jeep, I have a camp in Forest County and hunt the last week of muzzleloader season (second week of January). I go out on the trails before my buddies ( they ride 4 wheelers) and never had a problem. The only thing that bothers me is that they are freezing and I'm nice and warm in the 1100! lol

XTROOPER

Hi PA Jeep. I live in Beach Lake PA, next to the N.Y. border. I have had the RTV 1100 for three years and am very happy with it. I plow a 1/3 mile driveway with a Blizzard plow. The cab is great. In the winter the cab with heat keeps you so warm, I too only wear a shirt when plowing. It was 96 degrees here two days ago. although I would not have gone out of my way to get an air conditioner, I was very happy to have it. I haul all my wood and had a Cub Cadet UTV before the Kubota, no contest. The Kubota has served me very well, I would highly recommend it. Good Luck XTROOPER

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum!

I'll toss out a consideration as you probably have hills as well. What kind of engine braking does the Ranger have? When I bought my RTV in 2004, one of the main facets was that I could go down steep hills without using the brake. The Ranger liked to free-wheel which scared the crap out of me. With the RTV, you just hold down the gas pedal at the desired speed and it stays there.

PA Jeep

Great information. Thanks for all the input. Lots of hills in my area. The Polaris does not have any special engine brake feature. Polaris has added this feature on their ATV's but not the Ranger lineup. How about the ability of the RTV to go up hills? I've been searching the forum non-stop for a few days and have seen concerns in the power department. I've had the Diesel Ranger out on the dealer test area and it seems to have lots of power. Same HP as the RTV but a half ton less weight.I probably need the Kubota dealer to drop one off to play on my test track.

Leaning towards the RTV. It just has so many features that I would have to buy as expensive options on the Polaris.

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
after doing some work to polaris utvs i would say stay clear of them .the frames are made of metal less than 18th"thick and nearlly all of them have stress cracks on all the welds.if you want something to dold up get a 855d gator or kubota they will outlast you .i'm nearing the completion of the razor job and i'll post some pictures of just how cheaply they are made.plus i don't really think the frames could take the rattle of the diesel engines so stick with john deer or kubota.

PA Jeep

Peanut, reading a bunch of your posts I see you have a rhino and alot of Kubota expierence. How"s the RTV offroad? I really want the Kubota but the weight and ground clearance concern me. In reality I'm not going rock crawling just trail riding. I'm going to call the dealer and have the RTV for a test.

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
i had a hpx gator and a rhino but never had a rtv but if you want offroad test talk to twoguns he uses his to hunt with and bordercollie uses her's in the muddy fields they would be the best ones i could thing of for off road test.all i can tell you is they are built like tnks.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
The Kubota RTV does weight more, but has the bulls to roll it.
Have had mine in some pretty bad places, and NEVER had a problem.

If you are looking for speed. The RTV is NOT for you. Go buy something else. But if you want dependable power,
and something that you can depend on, everytime, & everyday, sit in a RTV.

Running OEM tires in the summer months.

Would suggest getting the 26" 589's for serious mud / and or snow !!!!

We cannot count the deer & hogs this machine has helped us get out of the swamps.

All I can say is, think really hard before you purchase anything else.

Attachments

• Two Guns RTV.jpg
    Two Guns RTV.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 405

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I am sneaking up on 4,000 hrs -being at 3984 actual hours. I agree with Two Guns on the uses of it. Also, realize I am talking about an 05 model 900. The 900 I have is quite a workhorse and the main issue I have is the high price of replacement parts- which can also be high with other brands. I was so ticked by this issue that I had looked at other brands in my future planning but quickly determined that the belt drive was out of the question for me. The deere diesel looked promising but it's a belt drive- so no - it looks still like the RTV will be the only thing in my future. I had a one time thought about the mini truck with the variable transmission but I don't know enough about them and I do know from experience that the Kubota will take the roughness if it is not misused. A test drive by you is in definite order- The new models have supposedly taken care of the past problems with the braking and the drive shaft. On my old model ,I can go up a levee in L always. M- sometimes and only H when I have a really good running start. I don't ever pull heavy loads in H or it will just sit and grunt and not take off . In L it will move the load nice and slow. M -sometimes it will and sometimes it won't move the load.. There again , the new machine model demands a test drive. I use my RTV to spray fence rows , pull a 9' weed wiper , pull heavy mineral troughs on skids, pull backrubbers, check cows /calves. spin wire when building fences, and basic grunt work on the farm. I am very happy with the 589 tires Two Gun mentioned- I can part the mud around the feed troughs with them . I got stuck with the WS oem tires all the time . Good Luck with your decision, bordercollie

Last edited:

PA Jeep

Ths is a great forum. Thanks for all the input. Calling my Kubota dealer in the AM to get one dropped off. I'll post my findings. Thanks again.

DocGP

I am a huge Kubota fan, and run the trails with my RTV 900, but to me, that is where its weaknesses really show up. Most any other SXS out there will out pull you on the hills, but the 'bota really struggles in M, and is super slow in L. Also there is no suspension to speak of. You get into the "woops" and it will absolutely beat you to death. I haven't run a diesel ranger, but was running with a gas ranger. That thing ran circles around the RTV on the trails. It has more ground clearance, and did better in the mud, up hills, and less drag in the sand.

All that said, everything is a compromise. I will not be getting rid of my RTV. It is a work horse. I have tricked mine out to do things it wasn't really designed to do (in my opinion). I have no doubt that Peanut knows what he is talking about, and the welds and build of the RTV are stout. If you are MAINLY looking for a trail running machine, you might explore all your options. If you are looking for a dang stout work machine that is quite capable on the trails (with a few weaknesses), will last forever, and sips fuel, the RTV may be the machine for you.

Just my .02
Doc

Edit to add, looking into a turbo kit to help with the hill climbing.

stubby62

RTV experience

I have had experience with the 1100 and 900 RTV, elk hunting in New Mexico (8500') elevation. Both units required turbo chargers for fuel economy and power at that elevation. Both units climb very well in Low, up very steep cattle roads and trails. Both units work well going up mountains and fields. Lots of volcano rocks where we hunt and some roads we were rock clinbing, only problem going over rocks, was when you stopped, they struggle to pull over big rocks 16" or so tall. Did fine as long as you were rolling. We did have to put the larger rims and tall heavy tires on both RTV. Had no problem hauling two mule deer or an elk any where we needed to go. Had coast valve on 900 rtv, but put the factory valve back in in NM so it would help with the breaking.

71sschevelle

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
hello to all, i was bigdeer2000 on the old site but couldn't get logged in with that name for some reason, so now i am 71sschevelle. i would compare the rtv to a ton truck. stiff suspension, not much flex in the frame. mine is great for work and most trails if you go slow. it doesn't do well in rocky or off camber situations if one of the wheels is off the ground it struggles. ranger does way better on the trails but that is the only thing it does better.peanut i sold my 1st gen 1100 to get the new one and the guy wanted to keep the bed rails you made for me. how much are the bed rails for the rtv's now.

Last edited by a moderator:

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome back!

In general, I normally lay it out as something like:
RTV is 10% fun factor, 90% work.
Ranger (gas) is 50% fun, 50% work.
Rhino is 70% fun, 30% work
RZR is 90%fun, 10% work.

I don't have any seat time in a Ranger diesel and it's been years since I've driven a Deere so I can't put a ranking on them.

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
if i'm not mistakin isn't the new 855d's clutches enclosed now?if they are i would go with the deere.oh and bczoom you got them stats wrong on the rhino.i think if i was to use it for 30%works it would give out on me.lol don't get me wrong i love the machine and it takes me everywhere's but the most work you'll get out of it is haulling deere out the woods.loli pull my trailer with my welding machine on it around the yard and it just seems to not wanna go til i give it alot of pedal.now i did pull my buddy who had his 1 ton hooked to his 5th wheel camper who was stuck in his yard.no he wasn't in ruts it was just a slick thing where he couldn't get any traction so i pulled him and his trailer with my rhino.i wish i had my old hpx back man that thing was a beast it never grunted at any load.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Tommy,

My 30% on the Rhino was based on it's capabilities of:
Snow plowing
Hunting/carrying deer
A bit of hauling in the bed (with 400# capacity)
Towing capability/capacity