Cold Feet -- Not RTV

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Cold Feet -- Not RTV

Needsome help from some of the members up north in cold weather area ....</p>

Do anyone of you have the " Muck" brand boots, and will they help in cold weather. Reason for asking. Down here, we really don't have cold weather like up north. Or should I say, It will get only cold oneto three days, and then it will warm up. BUT, during the few days it's here, my feet feel like they are going to fall off they get so cold. I've used the LaCrosse boots, they are to hard to get onand off. I was told the Muck boots was good in my area for cold / warm weather. Any and all help will be appreciated.</p>

Can pick up a pair of Artic Sport Boots for 90.00</p>

They make another pair call " Wetland Premium Boots " for the same price ~~~~</p>

~~~~~~~~~ jamie </p>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Re: Cold Feet -- Not RTV

I have both of the Muck boots you mentioned (the Arctic Sport and Wetland). You'll be happy with either. I don't get it but the camo versions are something like $30 more.</p>

They're very nice boots as they allow your feet to breathe much more than the LaCrosse or others. Being as the tops are not hard rubber you can just fold the tops over and cool your feet/legs if they get too warm.</p>

What's important is that you allow for insulated socks when you size them. It's important that your feet with the heavy socks on don't make your feet fit tight in the boots. If you don't already have decent insulated/winter socks, you'll want to get a couple pair. Actually, if you aren't already using them you may want to start with socks just to see if that takes care of you coldness problem. If it's not muddy outside, I normally just wear sneakers (tennis shoes) and a pair of heavy socks which is fine down to about 20 degrees (unless you're outside all day or standing on concrete for prolonged periods).</p>

</p>

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter

I know it makes very little sense; but heavy socks are great; but then your feet sweat and THEN get cold. Something that wicks that moisture out is totally needed. Heavy wool is great; but doesnt wick........Some of the newer polyesters do. Anyway, no matter what you do, just as your powder, keep those toes dry...........Old Arctic Army Warrior talkin here..........Dennis</p>

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter

I agree with you bc. I'd rather wear a good quality light weight waterproof boot and the right kind of socks. Talkingto the choir here I know but.... We tell the boys in Scouts that by "layering" their clothing they have a number of options depending on how the weather turns. Put on alight weight sock first thenaheavier insulated winter sock. The key to warm feet is to keep them dry. Of course, when outside and sitting next to a warm fire and drinking hot chocolate isn't too bad either.</p>

Keifer, a RTV wannabe</p>

muleman2

< /p>Jamie: If you are going to be out riding you will be fine with the muck boots. If you are going to be hiking get a good pair of polypropelene socks to wear under isulated socks. they wick the moisture away from your feet. I wear polypro long johns when walking out in the cold. having had 2 sons stationed at fort drum,ny and alaska they hooked their dad up when they moved south. I have neck dickies made of polypro and full hood units for under my artic hat. they make all the difference for these old bones on blood thinners. Bill B.</p>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter

I also think the neck warmers make all the difference in comfort along with the boots. We use the microfleece ones here on the farm and they really help keep the warmth in . Try 'em you'll love them . once I made one out of an old knit hat from the dollar store and it worked good in a pinch.My sister has the generallady type Muck boots and loves them. I plan on getting a pair when I wear these la crosse out. the la crosse seem to always crack across the top of the foot where they flex.... Bordercollie</p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter

my dad worked in alaska and i have his suit he had to wear. it's ok but down here the only time you can really wear it is if your sitting down and not doing anything other than that it builds up to much heat. it's from a company called refrigiwear or something close to that. i also have a military issue extreme cold weather jacket i found . i plan to try it out this winter. as for as neck warmers go i use them hothands heat packs and put two on my neck because i can't take the cold .</p>

Deerlope

I live 80 miles north of Fort Drum and it gets much colder here. I wear silk longjohns because they wick moisture much better than the polypro's that the military issues. I have 2 pr of the military a issue and don't like them. Because I do so much walking in the winter I only wear leather, insulated, steel toe work boots. Waterprof of course. I just ordered a new pair of Wolvernies today. They got 1200 grams of thinsulate and a goretex lining. Lets moisture out but not in.</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter

[quote user="bordercollie"]</p>

I also think the neck warmers make all the difference in comfort along with the boots.................</p>
<div style="CLEAR: both"></div>

[/quote]</p>

I agree with you bordercollie very much !!!! I use a wool military neck scarff, sure helps so much. Along with a Mad Bombers hat, something that keeps the ears from getting chipped off while they are frozen.</p>

For I want to thank EVERYBODY for the help, ideas, and please throw more help if one thinks it is needed !!!! The older I get, the worst it gets. If my feet get cold, I am ruined~~~~~~~ PERIOD !!!</p>

Went ahead and purchased the Muck Artic Sport boots, they will be delivered for $93.95 to my doorstep. I've just purchased the polypropelene socksup in town today. They look and feel like " CHURCH / DRESS / FUNERAL socks .... But if they keep the feet warm, heck, I will wear 'em if they are pink and have little ruffles on the edges, as long as my feet don't feel like they are going to fall off. Wonder sometimes if I'm getting any blood to the feet section while I'm on the deer stand ....</p>

Again, that's for the replies !!!! This is when a man knows who his friends are !!!!</p>

Always,</p>

jamie</p>

</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter

[quote user="bordercollie"]</p>

I also think the neck warmers make all the difference in comfort along with the boots.................</p>
<div style="CLEAR: both"></div>

[/quote]</p>

I agree with you bordercollie very much !!!! I use a wool military neck scarff, sure helps so much. Along with a Mad Bombers hat, something that keeps the ears from getting chipped off while they are frozen.</p>

For I want to thank EVERYBODY for the help, ideas, and please throw more help if one thinks it is needed !!!! The older I get, the worst it gets. If my feet get cold, I am ruined~~~~~~~ PERIOD !!!</p>

Went ahead and purchased the Muck Artic Sport boots, they will be delivered for $93.95 to my doorstep. I've just purchased the polypropelene socksup in town today. They look and feel like " CHURCH / DRESS / FUNERAL socks .... But if they keep the feet warm, heck, I will wear 'em if they are pink and have little ruffles on the edges, as long as my feet don't feel like they are going to fall off. Wonder sometimes if I'm getting any blood to the feet section while I'm on the deer stand ....</p>

Again, that's for the replies !!!! This is when a man knows who his friends are !!!!</p>

Always,</p>

jamie</p>

</p>

Mannie

COLD FEET! NOW YOU ARE TALKING CANADIAN EH! Jamie, I must have 5 pairs of boots for winter alone. All different weights and for different purposes. We hunt Deer with dogs up here and when you are on stand it can get very, very cold. MY FEET ALWAYS FREEZE FIRST! So what did I do? Well the final straw was me buying Canadian Military Mukluks at a surplus store for $50 Never, ever had cold feet in them including while ice fishing standing on ice when it was so cold the beer in the bottle kept freezing. I would not use them for any distance walking as the ankle support is minimum and they are too bulky.....but no cold feet. Other than that I have the usual 800 and 1200 gram thinsulate waterproof boots that my feet still get cold in.</p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter

when i used to drink beer i could never drink it when it was cold outside .i always worked in metal fabrication and i was outdise in the wind and after work you just didn't feel like drink a beer on ice. now summer time was diferent with the torches and hot iron and 100+ degrees and400%humidity that beer was nice at wkockoff time. i woudn't wanna be you up in canada.not with my bones.lol</p>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Mukluks or Mickey Mouse boots (the latter being the nickname for US military cold weather boots) would both be good options for extreme cold. What I don't like about them is their weight. Also, the US version has an air pocket with a valve. If you ever forget to close the valve and water gets in, the boots are pretty much worthless (forever).</p>

We have to change brands of beer in the winter due to the temps. Normal American beers (Miller, Bud...) freeze at about 15-20 degrees. When it gets colder then that, we switch to Labatt's. Really cold, you have to switch to something like Molson Ice. Also, beer doesn't freeze in the can. It's only when you open it does it start to turn slushy and/or freeze.</p>

</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter

Yes bczoom, Ihave owned several pair of Mickey Mouse boots... They are bulky, and down here in the gumbo mud, theyjust get bigger and bigger witheach step taken.Gumbo mud down here isLouisiana stick like bubble gum, and your boots / feet will soon be as big as a foot-tub >>>>> They might be warm, and great for some applications, but down here, don't really have much use for them...... They for sure are not really made for strolling threw the woods >>></p>

Gotta watch out for that gumbo mud and trying to " sling " it off, one will throw a hip out of socket quickly !!!!</p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter

i broke my fender on my hpx slinging a chunk of gumbo off aftercoin out a mud hole and runnin down the headlane. them 27's looked like some big 44"gumbo mudder's.lol</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter

Tommy,</p>

I believe that for sure. Once, we had a single axle trailer that we hauled deer corn to the feeders .Little while after a small rain, headed out across a field and tires got balled up really good.. Of course, had no fenders on it. At one point, we were moving pretty good with the four-wheeler and all of the sudden and big chunck of gumbo, about half the size of a washing machine come a flying pass my head. Damn, if that thing would of hit me, it would of been death for sure. So slowing down was a must, and when the trailer got back to the barn. Welded some heavy steel " make-shift " fenders on there to make it safer !!!</p>

Another thing, witnessed one time a chunck of gumbo flying out from between a low-boys trailer that was a coming out of a field. The big chunck hit a road sign and stuck. Just about covered the road sign. ONe would have swore someone evil done this on purpose if it wasn't witnessed and the gumbo weight was so heavy as it usally is ~~~~~</p>

I laugh sometimes for seen deer with there feet clogged up with gumbo mud. Sometimes, there feet will be as big as a full size horse.... </p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter

man it's bad when the cane trucks come out da fileds when it's rainin and the throw chunks all oner the road. man them chunks get big and i drive alittle chevy aveo.lmao. darn near flip my car over if i hit one.two of;um fill up the back of my gator .lol well maybe not that big.lol</p>

Mannie

Tommy, you are right. Sometimes it's just way too cold up here. I am looking outside at the frozen lake. 8 degrees. Yikes! LOL</p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter

the only frost or ice i like to see is ice cubes in my feezer and frost buildup on the inside walls of my deep freezer. my back and neck can't take that cold..whew!!</p>