Been waiting for my tractor

bdoss

Been a member for about a month - been listening in :hide: ...

Finally bought a tractor (Though some some may disagree my with my term "tractor" :smartass: )

Bought a brand NEW 1944 Ford 2N (SN 9N132716).

Only have 2 acres and needed a workhorse with a shredder-- Got both...

I'm an oldie (59) who is a newby in the tractor business so I'm going to be asking LOTS of questions...

I live in Henderson County (by Cedar Creek Lake (Tool, Texas) ) and work in Dallas (62 miles one way :pat: ).

Found my tractor on craigs list. Everyting still on it 'works' for now but as I clean it up I'm finding more and more age spots....

please go easy on me--- I bruise easy...

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome Bdoss. congrats on your 9N. My fist tractor with a 3ph was a 1952 8N. Loved that tractor, but it was high maint. A single stage clutch should be fine for you if your land is fairly flat ..and since you are in Texas I'll presume it is.
Look forward to the questions, insights and even some pics when you can.
Enjoy and post often. :thumb:

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Welcome bdoss,
Hope you enjoy your time here. And let's see pics of that tractor

bdoss

Hi All

HMK-
We live in the county between Tool and Seven points.
I have problems telling the city folk where we live-- They want a city name so I give them some of the towns nearby- Seven Points, Gun Barrel City, Kemp, Styxx, Trinidad, Tool, Aley, Paine Springs, Mabank, Malikof, Kerens-- and they still don't have any idea of where we are ...

Been down here for 9 years and love my little part of the area--

If you've been in the area you probably know right where I am- I'm right behind Big Daddy's Flea Market.

Finally bought a tractor (Though some some may disagree my with my term "tractor" :smartass: )

Only have 2 acres and needed a workhorse with a shredder-- Got both...

I'm an oldie (59) who is a newby in the tractor business so I'm going to be asking LOTS of questions...

I live in Henderson County (by Cedar Creek Lake (Tool, Texas) ) and work in Dallas (62 miles one way :pat: ).

Found my tractor on craigs list. Everyting still on it 'works' for now but as I clean it up I'm finding more and more age spots....

OLDIE???? Yer a young pup! (I got a year on ya!)

There's one or two of these guys think they HAVE to have "technology" in their tractors. Not a lot you can do with "new" that you can't do with our old ones. You have AT LEAST one on your side on that issue.

Glad you found us. Have fun. Ask all the questions you want. I don't know much, but I like to show off what I do know:yum:

bdoss

Here's the 9n red belly--- Not sure who painted her -- I added the bumber and radiator shroud. I named her Missy- My wife calls her trouble... It's got the 12 volt conversion package--Only thing I can't figure out is why the ground wire on the generator is disconnected-- I'll open another post for that....

Attachments

• IM002188.jpg
    IM002188.jpg
    398.5 KB · Views: 205

Erik

welcome!
and there's nothing wrong with older tractors if they do what you want them to when you want them to do it.
look forward to hearing from you more.

N

Nicahawk

icon1.gif
Been waiting for my tractor

Welcome bdoss. :tiphat: Come on in and make yourself home. Look forward to seeing more pictures of the '44.

My first tractor was a 9N. Had the Sherman 2 speed trans and came with a 5' bush-hog. First time I mowed I ran it thru my split rail fence. DUH!!:pat:

Hi All

HMK-
We live in the county between Tool and Seven points.
I have problems telling the city folk where we live-- They want a city name so I give them some of the towns nearby- Seven Points, Gun Barrel City, Kemp, Styxx, Trinidad, Tool, Aley, Paine Springs, Mabank, Malikof, Kerens-- and they still don't have any idea of where we are ...

Been down here for 9 years and love my little part of the area--

If you've been in the area you probably know right where I am- I'm right behind Big Daddy's Flea Market.

You bet, I know exactly where you live. My brother used to live in Mabank about 5 years ago. I used to head up that way every saturday night. They have an auction over in Athens and Me and brother used to go and bid/buy rabbits, hogs, goats. There is a cafe right up the road from you. Go through the red light and it sits behind a service station. They have the best chicken fried steaks around. Small world huh?

bdoss

HMK- That's McClains Cafe-- it's slogan is square meals make round people.. Good people- Less than a mile from my house -- easy to get to on the ONE day we have ice each year (My appologies to you Northeners- Couldn't help myself :yum: )

Bindian

Bdoss, :wave:
Glad you found us. Welcome. I gather by your last sentence you have been reading a lot of our banter!:yum:
hugs, Brandi

jbrumberg

bboss:wave: :

Welcome to NTT :D and its cast of 100's of "colorful, but lovable" :eek: characters :cool: ! Love your "new" tractor :). Use it safely and well. Please keep us posted and we love pictures. Jay :letitsnow:

irwin

Another welcome at ya bdoss!:tiphat:

Let us know how that older beauty works for you.

I'm in my fifties also and fairly new the tractor world, Learning fast, I'm sure you will too.

I've got a Deere 770 with a FEL and backhoe, I'm lazy, so time is important, I don't want to take that backhoe off, it's too useful right where it is. I want to add another tractor, so I'm looking for something cheap and heavy.
I need heavy to move big rocks and want to pull a big boxblade. The cheap is because I like the no debt lifestyle, want to keep it this way.:wink:

bdoss

Tim--
I know the *cheap* feeling-- There have been 2 layoffs in the last 5 years at the paper I work for (Dallas Morning News) and we outsourced 2 of the 3 positions I had to IBM last year (that was- is- and always will be a mess :shitHitsFan: .

Wife an I cleared our credit card debt and plan on keeping it that way!

Paid cash for the 2N and am fabricating as much as I can on my own -- I'm a hack welder/fabricator - Made the radiator sheild from an computer cabinet door and the push plate from a computer tip tray - I grab as much metal as I can when the company throws it out :wink: .. .

Only thing I *Need* is a box blade but I've got a neighbor that has one I can borrow (along with a PTO tiller)

As it is ol Missy is going to cost me in the short run- Need stabilizer bars and need to get the brakes checked but we'll get what we get when we get it! But it sure is FUN figuring out how to fix what I got...

mobilus

Tim--

Wife an I cleared our credit card debt and plan on keeping it that way!

Great job, bdoss! I think that is the singular most intelligent move that folks can make. No other investment pays off like the freedom that comes with no credit card debt!