Clamp on Forks Pictures for Bonehead

PBinWA

Bonehead wanted some pictures of clamp on forks:

Here's my thread on making the forks.

http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=3679&highlight=weld+forks

I've attached some pictures. They did change a bit as I had to re-inforce the top flat bar of the forks since they kept bending. I made some triangles for the edges to reinforce them (shown in the above thread) and then added another section of flat bar on top (not shown). No bending anymore.

Attachments

• forks3.jpg
    forks3.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 494
  • forks6.jpg
    forks6.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 476
  • forks2.jpg
    forks2.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 482

Av8r3400

I made a set like this for on my BX2230. The problem I always had was that they would rotate around the clamp and be crooked when ever I tried to move anything around with them. I was never happy or felt safe using them.

The ones I made for the L3400 are a little different and one piece to prevent rotating. Also, I drilled through the bucket floor to pin them to the bucket. No matter how tight I clamped the others, they'd always slide off when backing up.

I'll try an remember to take some pics.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have some forks .... similar but different.
I'll get some pics of them later today and post them (if I can remember).

PBinWA

My Forks will slide a little from side to side. I usually mount them over my toothbar and that helps to keep the sliding to a minimum.

I want to make a little bar to hold them perfectly straight some day. I made three forks and use them as brush forks for large piles of branches.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Paynes Fork:

Attachments

• DSCF0030r.jpg
    DSCF0030r.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 473
  • DSCF0033r.jpg
    DSCF0033r.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 468

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
What are those things worth? I never considered them for just the reasons ya'll are discussin. If you have a QA, just get pallet forks. They have to be easier to deal with and you don't have to worry about something happening with load shift near as much. My QA pallet forks were $600. Is there a task that these things can do that I'm missing....:confused:

Av8r3400

I took some pictures last evening. My only regret is that the fork-legs are a little short (6" short of nominal). Yes, I did drill two holes in the "floor" of the bucket to attach the forks. It's much more secure and I don't regret it. (The tooth bar has to come off to attach the forks.)

Attachments

• Forks s.JPG
    Forks s.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 460
  • Forks (1) s.JPG
    Forks (1) s.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 450

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Is there a task that these things can do that I'm missing....:confused:

I doubt it. Pallet forks with a quick attach would do the same if not more, since the bucket is not in your way.
The set of Paynes forks cost me 389 dollars or thereabouts.

PBinWA

For those of us without those big fancy Kioti tractors (and no Quick Attach) clamp on forks are great for the occasional time you need them. I've moved some big brush piles with my forks, lifted large rental tools out of my truck with them and so far they have been great.

I spent $80 on steel and could have made four forks but decided that three was enough and saved the rest of the steel for future use.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Will,
My bucket edge is far from pretty, but I would not consider the 'buggered up'. :D
Really the forks do not mess it up at all. The place that the clamps make contact do wear the paint off that area, but that is about 6 inches behind the bucket edge.

shinnlinger

WIll,

I share your concern. If the clamp is toward the center of the bucket and you catch it on a rock or someother immovable object I fear you would bend your bucket.

To toot my own horn, THat is why I did the forks set up I did. It is in this forum under carry all forks or something. Mine are also easier to make and install and have rooted out many rocks in the feild when I bushhog.

WIll,

I share your concern. If the clamp is toward the center of the bucket and you catch it on a rock or someother immovable object I fear you would bend your bucket.

To toot my own horn, THat is why I did the forks set up I did. It is in this forum under carry all forks or something. Mine are also easier to make and install and have rooted out many rocks in the feild when I bushhog.

When I bought the old Oliver I used to own, it had a FEL with some homemade bale forks on it. The FEL worked fine, but the bale forks had clamped midway in the bucket and bent it down and cracked it. So there was a crack running the full length between the forks. That was direct evidence of a problem with using clamp on forks. However, I have seen fork designs that run the length of the bottom and then up the back of the bucket to clamp on there. Kinda like an " L " . That way there is full support on the bottom of the bucket with the back of the bucket taking much of the strain where it is designed to.

larryRB

I have an old set of clamp on forks. They were a pain in the rear,, What actually holds them to the bucket is a set of old International truck leaf springs and threaded bolt.,. Last month I finally broke down adn bought a new set of Bradco 48" with SSL hook up. Used them yesteray and boy what a difference..

Dougster

Old Member
I have an old set of clamp on forks. They were a pain in the rear,, What actually holds them to the bucket is a set of old International truck leaf springs and threaded bolt.,. Last month I finally broke down adn bought a new set of Bradco 48" with SSL hook up. Used them yesteray and boy what a difference..
I almost bought a Bradco medium-duty set out at the Eastern States Exposition... a.k.a. "The Big E"... in late-September from the new TYM dealership in Springfield, MA. Only thing is that I had been warned about imported forks being used on domestic frames... and I couldn't figure out if the Bradco medium-duty forks are domestic or imported. The price was decent... not great... so I figured I'd wait. Anyone know for sure about the source of those Bradco forks?

Dougster

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Where's Bonehead? Everybody has made an appearance but him!

My first welder project was a pair of strap-on forks secured by load binders around the back of the bucket. They work fine. I described them with photos over in this thread.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey Larry, how about a picture of those bradco 48's? I don't know what a SSL hook-up is.

larryRB

Yep
he's right. when you order the quick attach it's listed as SSL system, at least wherever I have been, it is,. Good set of forks with headboard, I bought them from Woodbury tractor in Woodbury CT. Bob Wolf the owner is reall nice to deal with and a very straight shooter, I wanted a set that costs about 500.00, HE wouldn't sell them to me because if I tried using them,, they would bend in half at first use. They were not made in the USA,, The ones I have, are USA made and a lot stronger.