4600su spindle breaks

scoutn4help

O.K. I can not understand why I keep breaking spindles off of the left side of my tractor. Does anybody have some ideas

Mith

Maybe you can give us some more details such as the location of the break, if you have a loader etc...

Welcome to the site.

If I am not mistaken, the 4600su is a Ford tractor, I will move this into the Ford forum. :thumb:

scoutn4help

I have but nobody replys. I do have a loader my front tires sit like this / \ they should be this \ / . They should not be breaking so offen.

urednecku

No idea, but somebody with more experience should be here, hopefully with some ideas pretty soon.

But in the mean time, welcome to the forum!

scoutn4help

the break is at the planetary bearing where it makes the L shape for the wheel bearings, and starting at the tire going to the center of the pivot I can not see anything bent. Yes it is a ford with 52 hp

scoutn4help

Thanks for having me mith and urednecku. Nobody that I know or that I have found on can seem to tell me what to look for. Does everybody have newer 4wd smaller tractors. I will try to get pics when i get it back together so people will know what iI am trying to show them.

Mith

The wheels should tip together at the bottom slightly I believe ( \-----/ ). Almost certainly shouldnt be splayed out ( /----\ ).
Maybe you could post a picture of the front of your tractor.
The other possibility is that there is a pothole that you regularly go down with the left wheel.

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
The wheels should tip together at the bottom slightly I believe ( \-----/ ). Almost certainly shouldnt be splayed out ( /----\ ).
Maybe you could post a picture of the front of your tractor.
The other possibility is that there is a pothole that you regularly go down with the left wheel.

I agree with Mith, the wheels should be either vertical or "toed in" slightly, not out. I can also see it causing a problem if you regularly run across slopes with the left side downhill. I would think that would put a whole lot of extra stress on the axle with your front wheel in a splayed configuration. Sorry I can't be more help but it's not something that I've experienced. Maybe some photo graphs might help.

Oh, and welcome.

Jeep

do you put new or used spindles on have you checked your axle sounds like you have a bent axle with the tires leaning in at the top,, I have a 4400 ford the center pin came just about out glade I found it in time Jeep

scoutn4help

when i snap a spindle i always put in a new one. the pivot pin i replaced with a new one along with the center section of the axle 2 yrs ago. the front stood up a little but not enough. they still sit weird /----\ i can not find anything bent or wore out. the tractor was set like that when we bought it 12 yrs ago. we never thought anything about it. we thought it was the loader until i took it off one day to work on it the tires stayed the same. then we noticed they did not move. from then one i look to see if there is more like mine so far i have not found one yet. and if i would break it to the down hill side i would roll the tractor over on me it is always on flat ground thank GOD.

Jeep

is the spindles upside down maybe somebody put them on wrong before you got the tractor or could the axel have been put upside down at one time I know anything is possbile I'm thinking the way the tires are leaning in at the top I'm just trying to think of ways this could happen Jeep

scoutn4help

the spindles can not be in wrong they go in 1 way cause they are made like an L. the conter section when you lay it down the holes are straight from one end to the other. you can turn it over and it is still the same. i have just about give up. unless the dealers sold me the wrong pieces but all that i have is a 3000 on steriods(cranked up pump and injectors stronger rear end) all front end parts are the same a 2000 up to a 4600su from 68 until they did away with that line so i have been told

Jeep

4600 spindles

I looked at my tractor today your wright they can't be turn upside down so back to the drawing board some spindles had a canter to them dealer could be ordering the wrong parts mine has a time or two smile it will get better I'm thinking will fiqure this out I've been around tractors over 60 years now can you take one of the old ones to a tractor junk yard and see if it is the wrong ones the dealer been getting you see if you can match with another tractor our talk to a old time tractor man I'll bet they would know I'll think some more Jeep

scoutn4help

well we dont have a junk yard close to me. i should start 1. i live in north east ky not much demand for used parts unless its a whole piece like tractor or plows or blades etc. i can take other parts and put on mine and it will not change nothing. and as for being around since i was 5 and im 37 now but i do not know everything about them and all the books that i have does not say nothing about the front end like a car manual does and i am not going to a dealer so they can charge me $75/hr to tell me da i dont know what is wrong with it but we can sell you another one

Jeep

4600 spindle

I agree on the da part been thier down that I've still had to figure it out myself I'll have to go back and think some more have you tryed to check the part # on the CNH parts site they have a picture break down on parts just trying to help Jeep

scoutn4help

I know that it has been a while that I was on here looking for help. I think that I finally found my problem with the spindles. When we bought the tractor someone widened the front end out one hole and never lined up the tierods, so after breaking another one I decided to narrow the frontend one hole, and it lifted the frontend maybe 2 inches and stood up the tires to almost straight up and down. So it is not like /--\ it is like this now|---| so I am so happy now.