RTV900XT Front Propeller Shaft CV Joint

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
Hello All.

Tried to search this subject, but search option wouldn't allow time to enter subject.

So, I'm hear a new noise while traveling. Crawled under while NOT traveling and shook the from prop. shaft near the front cv joint. Seems loose to me.

Who's performed repairs to the prop. shaft. The big K only sells the complete assembly at $590 or a boot assembly at $80. Complete gravel road robbery!

Haven't found any non-OEM mtg that have these parts.

My desire is to only replace CV joint (s). Any ideas?

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
Thank Border Collie! Amazing that axles are readily available, but not the front drive shaft (propeller shaft).

RKP in SB

Hello All.

Tried to search this subject, but search option wouldn't allow time to enter subject.

So, I'm hear a new noise while traveling. Crawled under while NOT traveling and shook the from prop. shaft near the front cv joint. Seems loose to me.

Who's performed repairs to the prop. shaft. The big K only sells the complete assembly at $590 or a boot assembly at $80. Complete gravel road robbery!

Haven't found any non-OEM mtg that have these parts.

My desire is to only replace CV joint (s). Any ideas?
Could you describe that noise for me, please? Do you hear it all of the time -- or just at very slow speeds like when you're coming to a stop? When you **DO** hear that noise, is it constant -- or intermittent, like a shaft coming around to rub on something, then rotating away from contact, then rubbing again?

Thanks for your help!

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
Intermittent flopping and squealing noise. Inspected today and both CV joints are sloppy allowing the shaft to rub the perforated shield beneath it.

Sorry for the delayed response.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Let us know what the processes are when you can please Pepr. It will sure be appreciated. and best of wishes to you in this endeavor.
For those curious members, this is a link to Messicks fine site where you can find a diagram of this troubling shaft. This is the updated one piece design listed under RTV 900 xt. https://www.messicks.com/ku/86233?sectionId=228381&diagramId=451210&searchTerm=drive shaft several pages over from initial link . G12700 FRONT PROPELLER SHAFT .