ground pressure

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i have been studying psi ground pressure since i now have so much swampy land to traverse with the RTV. according to wiki a male adult puts 8 psi on the ground. and a pneumatic tire exerts approximately it's inflation pressure. i noticed that since i replaced the stock tires on the x1100c with 26-11-12 radials that i can just about get anywhere i want with 20 psi in the tires and about 600 lbs payload. i did get in a pinch and fell into a bog so i let the air out and drove it out. i probably need to experiment with 10 psi loaded lite.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
seems that maybe the tire pressure rule might not be accurate. i used some calcs from a skid steer site and estimated the surface area of the tires on the ground and divided the weight of an x1100c with 26x11x12 radials at 20 psi and came up with just a tad over 4 psi ground pressure.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Aurthuritis, This post is a good one for those of us that have boggy land in places and get trapped in mire. I watched the video you posted and the ones associated with it on the Roxor site that Doc has here. You have to wonder how many people get stuck and don't realize they have a way out right under their noses. (like me that time)
I'm still getting some mud grips because I have to get on and off the road so much in the wet seasons but the information about lowering tire pressure to get out of a sticky spot is excellent ! Thanks again ! bordercollie

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I agree. Good post.
I was having trouble keeping track of my low pressure gauge, and getting i mixed up with the one that will not do low pressure ...the kind that just blows out a plastic stick with the numbers on it. ...
So I opted to buy this one on amazon. It has worked for all my vehicles so that I bought a 2nd to keep in the car that was having trouble sealing around the aluminum rim.

Works great for low psi to high.

https://www.amazon.com/AstroAI-Digi...ix=digital+tire+pr,aps,152&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

Attachments

• TirePressureGauge.jpg
    TirePressureGauge.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 35