Boom pole

haffasst

I just bought a boom pole at TSC to help with clean-up. I am planning on putting it on my MF to lift downed tree etc. I've never used one so I would appreciate any suggestions.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I bought one with my 8N. It was called a pig pole, but I think that's the same thing. That is the only implement I never used, ever. As long as they are you can get a good bit of leverage going on. Be sure to use your seat belt and ROP if your tractor is so equipped.

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
If it's for logs/trees, keep it down as low as possible. It will raise the front end REAL quick. I rigged a 12V winch on mine to hoist some stuff out of the basement. That worked real well for me.

haffasst

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm going to put it on the tractor Saturday. I just want to take the weight off of some downed trees so i can cut them with the chain saw. If it works well then I will try to move the cut trees to a burn pile.

urednecku

be careful not to pinch the saw blade, it can be a PIA to get out, not to mention if it messes up the bar...

haffasst

urednecku, To late, the reason I got the boom pole is that I tried to cut an 18" tree that had fallen. It pinched the blade and bent the bar. Now I am going to try to lift the weight so one end is free.

This is not for raising stuff too high, I have one for the loader for that. can't remember if i posted this here. I made it a couple of months ago and it works great. I have a larger set of tongs and picked up a 3footer with ease. The winch is a bit slow due to gearing and the large hyd motor, but it will pull the tractor backwards in a hard pull. You might notice too that I put a connection for the toplink and a reciever for a hitch. Just remove the top with the tongs and put the regular link in. When lowered the tongs will go right to the ground and when lifted they are quite high. When pulling with them I just have it high enough to clear obstacles. That way if the frontend wants to lift it won't lift far. So far I haven't had any problems with that with the loader on.

I also have the same winch in the loader. It is much faster as the gearing is 4x higher and a smaller hyd motor.
I just loaded my quad and some goodies for alaska and used the boom pole on the loader to put it on the trailer. I was in a hurry so just ran the cable through a shackle, didn't use the winch at all. That crate weighed in at almost 1300lb.

Attachments

• P1020888(1).JPG
    P1020888(1).JPG
    235.4 KB · Views: 135
  • P1020889(1).JPG
    P1020889(1).JPG
    233.2 KB · Views: 129
  • P1000003.jpg
    P1000003.jpg
    498.4 KB · Views: 130

shinnlinger

I will add that they can lift 1000+ pounds but laterally they don't take abuse very well. More than one has been folded sideways on a fence post.