rear wheel bearing torque

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
looking at a service book for 2014 X1100C---rear aluminum wheel stud is 66 to 81 ftlbs
steel wheel stud is 79 to 95 ftlbs
rear axle slotted nut 141 to 147 ft lbs

wheeler

WSM info from Messicks lists 110 ft. lbs. for rear wheel slotted nut on 1100C. But I thought I had read somewhere that there was an update to 140 ft. lbs. Now I am confused. I checked ours at 140 ft.lbs. and did not move, so I will leave as is.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
sorry for confusion. info i posted above is from a work shop manual published in 2014 for the same model year X1100C. i can't vouch for earlier or later information. i hope this helps some.

wheeler

sorry for confusion. info i posted above is from a work shop manual published in 2014 for the same model year X1100C. i can't vouch for earlier or later information. i hope this helps some.

No problem. I think I read about the update somewhere on a snow grooming forum. The bearings seem to feel fine, so I am leaving them as they are.

wheeler

pretty sure those aren't taper bearings anyway. i think the nut just holds on the hub???

So tightening the castle nut does not tighten the bearing, only stretches the threads until a cotter pin hole lines up. Which to me would mean that the torque is not too important unless you strip the threads.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
So tightening the castle nut does not tighten the bearing, only stretches the threads until a cotter pin hole lines up. Which to me would mean that the torque is not too important unless you strip the threads.[/quote

i went to the 2014 WSM for the X1100C and confirmed the bearing is a ball bearing. it states to torque the split nut to spec and if the slot doesn't line up to continue tightening until it does.

Last edited: