X1100 starting and stopping (engine braking)

zenchal26

New to us 2016 x1100 is pretty jerky when pushing go pedal and hst braking is a little harsh for our taste. My old 900 I installed the coast cave and liked the feel of that. Would like the new one to act the same. No cost valve available for this model, read there is an adjustment I can make to lessen the braking?? Is there something I can do to stop the jerky stars? Also why haven’t they put a grab handle on the drivers side?? Anyone find a grab handle that will work??

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i am not sure but i think you are correct that there is an adjustment for the dynamic braking. my x1100c does stop a little firmer than the old 1100 with the coast valve but not much. as for jerky starts,that sounds like something is out of adjustment. mine is smooth as silk.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i looked up the dynamic braking in the service manual. it is a function of the high pressure relief valve. the book gives guidelines on how to check the setting at aprox 3900 psi and states if there is a problem to replace the valve. messing with this could cause severe damage. if you suspect someone has try to adjust it then i would take it to a dealer for repair. the book states the HPRV also works in conjunction with the anti cavitation valve. could this be why you have a shutter?

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
probably just need to adjust the linkages from the peddle all the way through to the HST and throttle.

zenchal26

Adjusted the the pedal linkage and it still jerks fwd when pushing the go pedal. The engine does idle up slightly now before it starts moving but the jerky ness is a little better. On my model the go pedal did not bind up on its own as stated in the adjustment thread instead it would just cam over the linkage. I set the pedal stop so the roller on the cam was shy of the camover point and did the rest of the adjustments from there. Where should the roller be on the cam at max travel? Maybe where it’s set now is too far down the cam causing the hst rod to not start moving fast enough??

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
still not sure you did this correct. when you start you need to have the peddle stop completely screwed down and out of the way. disconnect the throttle cable from the belcrank and if need be disconnect the hst cable from the belcrank too. then push the peddle down until it binds against itself. then adjust the peddle stop up until the peddle just hits the stop at the same time it binds or just a little less. then proceed to adjust the other end at the bellcrank and from there the throttle cable. what you will accomplish is a full travel from neutral to full throttle. the bellcrank cam is designed to match the torque curve of the engine and HST. sorry this is hard to explain

zenchal26

I did screw the stop all the way down and removed throttle cable but the cable was still attached to the pedal and the bell crank under the bed.

zenchal26

Yes it did cam over with the cable attached to the pedal and the bellcrank. I’m assuming you are calling the rod that goes across the top of the trans that the hst link and throttle cable attaches to the bellcrank. I will try disconnecting the pedal cable from the bellcrank and going from there. Although one would think if the throttle is on its high stop and hst lever is at its high stop when pedal is pushed and throttle at low stop and hst at neutral when the pedal is up that the pedal cable adjustment would be correct no?

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
yea it shouldn't cam over. i would disconnect the belcrank from the peddle and adjust the peddle travel first so you are sure you have all available travel that the peddle offers. when you reconnect the cable you may need to disconnect the cable clamp and readjust the whole cable so it will reconnect with the belcrank in detente

zenchal26

Readjusted all the linkage and it’s a little better but still jerks when you step on the go pedal. Definitely not as smooth as my older 900

zenchal26

There is a screw and a jam nut on top of the hst servo. What does this adjust? I know the one on the bottom is the adjustment for creep

Last edited:

zenchal26

Yes the rod with the dust boot on it on the left hand side of the trans? I’m more concerned with the jerky ness on takeoff than the braking. I have the cost valve coming in the mail. If you push on the real slow the jerk isnt too bad but I’m talking so slow you have to think about it. My 04 900 does not have this jerkyness

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Anyone know about the hst adjustment on top

you don't want to mess with the servo adjustment. all that screw does is center the servo piston that affects the swash plate.

is your complaint about "jerky" that the unit takes off from a stop aggressively with a jerk?

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
Does the engine rev up before the buggy moves? That dampener is tied to the main linkage so it helps provide resistance when you push the pedal.

zenchal26

Yes the jerky is when it first starts to move in fwd or rev. The hst linkage is moving slightly before the engine speeds up. I have adjusted the cables and the linkage so full pedal gets throttle lever to high stop and hst lever is at full through less .040”. As this is a used machine How can I tell if the servo has been adjusted. What’s the factory setting? Thought I read somewhere it’s 1.5 turns out when seated all the way? Possible that the lever on the hst has been removed and on the wrong spline keeping it in “neutral” longer than it should or would that pull it too far and make it think it’s in reverse? I have no creep with wheels off ground and will get up to 25mph on flat dirt rd little faster with a down grade. Pulls up hills in high no problem.