Newb Questions

Iride66

Greeting All..new member, SE Texas, new owner of a 16' camo, 1140 CPX.
I've spent several hours reading the years of posts here. Wow...what an amazing resource! You guys really know your stuff. Wondered if I might get some advice on the following...

1. My RTV is showing some rust on the underside of the cargo bed frame. The frame containing the plastic panels. Can just this frame be replaced without replacing the entire cargo/dump bed?

2. How are the plastic panels in cargo/dump bed taken out? Looks like they might just bend a little and pop out, but don't want to break them trying to remove.

3. Does anyone sell the above mentioned panels, just the plastic part?

4. I'd like to add very bright LED bar to the front of the RTV and possibly back. Recommendations on brand, place to purchase?

5. I want install to look neat, no wires hanging etc. Best to mount pvc or conduit type thing to the vehicle? Would like to use the switch blanks in the dash to operate them, anybody have pics that could guide me some?

6. Last, I promise (at least for now!)...has anyone mounted a cell phone charge bank to the dash (or elsewhere) you think is clean and works for you? Would like to be able mount/charge two devices...and again look clean.

Really looking forward to getting a lot of use out of this super versatile machine! Thanks all for expertise I've already seen here!

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum!!!! for the rust i use fluid film,it stops rust fast. for the rest i am sure others will chime in.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I don't have that model but am so glad you are here . :) Welcome aboard !! My 2011 RTV is now 7 years old this month(3800 hrs) and still going strong. My 05 (4200+ hrs) was the same way when I sold it at the time I got this 2011. Have fun and enjoy - bordercollie

Iride66

Thanks for the welcome Bordercollie and congrats on your long running equipment. I have seen A LOT of your posts and see you have much experience with them. My "new" 1140 has about 650 hours and other that what I noted it is in great shape. Already had several uses for it. Hauled limbs to burn, hauled chain saws, fuel and lubes to pasture to cut trees, moved a compressor to my water tank and back etc. Will use next weekend to haul people, tents and ice chests around at a charity event.

I bought Kubota because I have an older Kubota tractor that has been fantastic and I loved the ability to change from 2 seats to four and the long/hydraulic dump bed.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new RTV!

5. I want install to look neat, no wires hanging etc. Best to mount pvc or conduit type thing to the vehicle? Would like to use the switch blanks in the dash to operate them, anybody have pics that could guide me some?
For your light bar and this conduit, are you wanting to go to the roof with overhead lighting or out the front of the machine? I used PVC going up the back of the ROPS to some overhead switches to run lights and such. Will post pictures if you're looking to go with the overhead approach.

6. Last, I promise (at least for now!)...has anyone mounted a cell phone charge bank to the dash (or elsewhere) you think is clean and works for you? Would like to be able mount/charge two devices...and again look clean.
I wouldn't say mine is "clean" but I just use the 12v cigarette lighter port and plug my phones into that. To hold the phone, I like the RAM-mount products. They're quality and have all kinds of different mounts based on your particular need.
https://www.rammount.com/

https://www.rammount.com/device/phone-mounts?format=html

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Welcome, all has some great help here. All you do is ask .....

............... two guns

Iride66

Thank you BCZOOM...I would love to see your pics. I am intending a roof mount LED bar. Not being familiar with the term ROPS (seen several times on the forum) I am guessing they are the down tubes from roof frame?

I am familiar with ram mount from motorcycle applications. I'll give them a look. Thinking I will use the power source in the dash and some kind of mount up top. Saw some in a shop this weekend when buying new tires, but looked like device could be bounced or vibrated out of them.

I am still curious about replacing the frames around the bed panels and if those panels will just pop and back in without damaging them of anybody has advice on this.

Thanks to all for your responses!

Iride66

Thanks for the welcome 2 Guns. Really great resources here and great of folks to share advice with rookies!

Maine

ROPS - Roll Over Protection Structure, aka roll bar or roll cage.

Kubota sells replacement panels and bed parts. Messicks and other dealers have parts diagrams and lists with prices online. Kubota also has the parts books online - search for Kubota parts.

Iride66

Ah...roll bars...okay. Thanks, Maine!

Ohio Pawpaw...thanks for the link, I may not have searched it right, but only found wraps for current plastic panels, not replacement panels or the metal frame for them. Same with Messick's. I may just not be searching correctly.

Iride66

Did find parts diagrams on Messick's. Might could call them. Thanks for the start! If anyone knows a link for the plastic panels or the metal frame please let me know.

Also...do the plastic panels just bend a little and pop in and out?

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the RTV Forum. Lots of good folks here ready to offer help and advice. Keep positive and always bring your photos and sense of humor when you visit the Forum. If we don't have an answer we might make something up that will cost you lots of $$$$.
Do some research and buy high lumen LED lights.
Use Fluid Film liberally where rust might occur.
You might want to do a Fluid exchange on your new buggy. Use Kubota brand oils and filters.
Do you have a hi rise air filter?
I'll attach a photo of some LED lights that work well for me.

Keifer

Attachments

• IMG_0717.jpg
    IMG_0717.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 100

Iride66

Hello Keifer...thanks for your input! I have bought three cans of Fluid Film and will give it a try and see how much it helps. Still looking for the frame or maybe even a new bed. Not sure what that would cost, haven't called Kubota dealer yet. Had hoped to find a used or aftermarket one.

I did pull off the floor mats and had the floorboards and firewall spray lined to prevent rust and make spray clean easy. Added new tires all the way around and side mirrors.

I like your lights...was thinking I'd install on the roof, but this works too.

Ref fluids, previous (only) owner had been using Rotella oil. I use this in my diesel truck and have good luck. I used Kubota oil and filters in my tractor for years, but the price pushed me to other products after awhile. Do you think their products are really better, enough to justify the high price?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Do you live in a snowy environment? If so, lights under your line-of-sight work better so you don't get "snow blind".

As for oil & filters, the engine won't care if you use Rotella. The tranny is really particular and works best with the Kubota oil and filters. Lots of horror stories about performance if you use other brands for tranny fluids and filters.

Iride66

So stick to Kubota for transmission. Can do that. Performance may be an issue...so far high speed has been 17 mph and that was only once. Didn't buy it for speed, but does seem a little slow.

Definitely don't live where it snows. SE Texas. We get a dusting once every several years.