Here's a "Talk About Anything" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
So proud for YOU folks out there of what HE has finally come through and given you.......Have been watching the rain patterns over the last several weeks. Though painful to go through for some, all of this rain has definitely been fantastic for the reservoirs and crops.............God bless........Dennis

Mark.Sibole

final piece of my range is done.With money being tight I went to my local Kubota dealer and they supplied me with enough pallets to build this.All I had to do is buy a box of nails.No more laying on the sandy ground while shooting.
Personally id still like to obtain a maniquine for a target.This is on a 100 yard range in my yard.I did get a friends range done with my tractor set at 400 yards with multiple shooting stations for all situations..
shootingplatform.jpg

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Nice Mark!

Do you have a blanket or piece of outdoor carpet you lay over it to keep the splinters away and your spent cartridges from falling in the cracks?

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Good idea for reusing those old pallets. Maybe add a roof for shade/rain protection. Add a cooler for beverages, a few chairs, etc. a real hangout for like-minded friends. Yippie!

Mark.Sibole

Going to use an old chase lounge cussion to lay on for padding and waiting untill i shoot off of it to see where im going to add a side shield for brass and a basket for it to fall into.Im getting to lazy to chase brass around in my old age.

Mark

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Do you have a side shield already? I've found a golf practice net captures most everything. If you have some screening laying around that will work as well. (I like an option that's light/easy since I put it away after use.

Mark.Sibole

No shield yet.I have a few old laundry bags that are net type that will work fine. I just need to figure out there the casings eject and mount brackets there for 3/4 inch pvc for the frame.I should have enough to make a side shield and a catch basket.As soon as I get it figured out and done ill post pics as always.I cant make a project and talk about it without pictures lol.You know meeee

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
For the catch basket, may I suggest you consider using a sheet or something instead of a physical basket?

With a sheet, you have a much larger coverage area and no "aiming" (pun intended) for the basket is needed. You just grab the 4 corners of the sheet and lift then you have a nice pile in the middle you can then transfer to wherever you keep your brass.

OrangeBuggy

So proud for YOU folks out there of what HE has finally come through and given you.......Have been watching the rain patterns over the last several weeks. Though painful to go through for some, all of this rain has definitely been fantastic for the reservoirs and crops.............God bless........Dennis

Thanks, rained last night and they are calling for more over the next few days. Was able to mow about half of my place Wednesday evening, was still plenty wet thought. Hopefully I'll be able to finish Saturday with any luck.

Mark.Sibole

For the catch basket, may I suggest you consider using a sheet or something instead of a physical basket?

With a sheet, you have a much larger coverage area and no "aiming" (pun intended) for the basket is needed. You just grab the 4 corners of the sheet and lift then you have a nice pile in the middle you can then transfer to wherever you keep your brass.

Thats more in line waht i was refering to as in basket.Just something to keep it off of the ground and easier to recover all brass.Ill work on it this weekend and see what I end up with.So many options to work with.Im just trying to find the most practical way of doing it with little or no cost with what I have laying around here.Either way ILl let you all know how it works out or turned out with pics of corse.
Have a safe holiday weekend!!!

Mark.Sibole

1 brass catcher.If all goes well brass will hit the back stop and fall down into the pocket of the netting to be collected when done.
brasscatcher.jpg

Mark.Sibole

The pisser of my day.Get rifle range complete.All safe in every aspect.Sey up brass catcher.Shoot 4 rounds check target. Shoot 4 more rounds check target. Case rifle and as soon as im done the Local police pull up on a complain that im shooting in my yard.Ive been shooting here 15 plus years with no problems.Today I let 10 practice rounds fly and someone complains lol.Nice way to piss me off first thing in the morning....

herman48

If you have a safe backstop and there is no noise ordinance in the area you are within the law. But nowadays with so many anti-gun idiots on the loose you can expect this kind of thing to happen more often. When I was in Kodiak there was a rifle range (used by private citizens, the Coast Guard, and U.S. Navy SEALS) distant more than two miles as the crow flies from a small unincorporated community (lots of hippies, Greenies and potheads) outside the city limits--and people there were complaining about the noise!
Thank God no one has been complaining about my shooting crows from the window with a 12 gauge, here.

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
The pisser of my day.Get rifle range complete.All safe in every aspect.Sey up brass catcher.Shoot 4 rounds check target. Shoot 4 more rounds check target. Case rifle and as soon as im done the Local police pull up on a complain that im shooting in my yard.Ive been shooting here 15 plus years with no problems.Today I let 10 practice rounds fly and someone complains lol.Nice way to piss me off first thing in the morning....

Mike

Because I live a bit south of you, I'm curious what the Sheriff said to justify stopping you. I thought as long as we/you were 400 ft from a dwelling and had a small game license it was fine as long as the down range was safe.

Did he site a noise ordnance or shooting regulation issue when he asked you to cease and desist.

Just curious, Thx Bob

Mark.Sibole

Oh he didnt stop me and i wouldnt let him stop me.I told him very nicely I didnt appreciate him even stopping by for the discussion and everything is safe and legal.He said a neighbor complained about the noise and I told him its ather 10 am and there is NO noise restrictions.If they want to make up rules then there should be no deer hunting before 11Am and he left.But I told him on his way out you will probably get more calls because i Have friends coming up with about 1000 rounds and it will get noisy.

Mark.Sibole

redesigned the brass catcher as it wasnt doing what I wanted it to do the way I wanted it to work.Modifications were redoing the netting stretched to the back side to make it look like a hockey net then placing a piece od laminated board on the bottom.Now it works great and catches everything.All I do at the end is lift it up and tip it over to empty brass.Ill post a picture of the modification later today.But its working great and the new shooting platform works wonders.Very comphy to shoot off of now.
Just need to sell wood for ammo purchases now as this can be an expensive hobby.A friend brought over his 338 lapoua over the weekend and what a beast.% bucks per round and damn does that think bark.You have to be very rich with a lot of money to shoot that thing daily or even weekly at 5 bucks a round..

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Hope you are able to continue to use your firearms in a sensible and legal manner. Keep watch that some tree-hugger doesn't try to push through a noise ordinance in your area. Our rights continue to be taken from us by a minority that screams the loudest no matter what the cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.