anyone run b15 biodiesel in their rtv?

When filling up my fuel tank at the pilot truck stop yesterday I used a pump that was marked "b15" biodiesel blend. This is my first fill up of the tank and I have previously filled my truck and extra diesel cans here before I bought the large tank. I had no idea the station was selling b15, though, and I would have moved on in ignorance had I not used the one pump they had marked with the b15 sticker yesterday.

So basically I've been running this biodiesel blend for as long as pilot has been selling it through my tractor and truck for the past three years without issue. would y'all have reservations using the same fuel in the rtv? I've closely read over the biodiesel insert that Kubota put in with the manual, I am familiar with the extra maintenance steps, and my rtv only has 3.5 hours on it, so I am not going to change the oil and filters like the guide calls for when running biodiesel as it seems like a waste on a machine with practically no hours.

I know Ford recommends using 5w40 full syn in their diesels when running bio blends to prevent oil dilution. The Kubota biodiesel insert doesn't mention this, but I am leaning to the side of using rotella t6 5w40 in the new rtv after 50 hours for the same reason. but the manual only recommends saw 30, 10w30, or 15w40 oils.

Thoughts? I wish I could talk directly to a Kubota engineer, but y'all are the closest thing I got!

Mark.Sibole

Personally for the little cost difference I keep away from Bio fuels.Its bad enough that regular diesel has limited sulpher for lubrication and im not sure how bio is in lubricating but I just add some additive to regular deisel to make sure everythinng is well lubricated.Id rather spend a little xtra to make sure there are no future problems than cheap out on fuel and have issues down the road.

Mark

Biodiesel blends offer a lot more lubrication than standard #2 diesel. It's one reason why not everyone is up in arms about the prevalence of biodiesel at the pumps now, because it brings back some of the inherent lubrication properties of diesel before it went ULSD. I had started filling my truck and 5 gallon fuel jugs at the pilot truck stop because (1) they move more diesel fuel than anyone in town, so it's always fresh and (2) I had noticed that my truck ran noticeably quieter and smoother when filling up at the pilot truck stop. I did fill up other places on occasion, but whenever I had time to go to the pilot I did.

I am leaning towards running the blend in the rtv and not worrying about it. Kubota says it's fine as long as you change your fuel filter twice as often as originally called for and replace the fuel hoses sooner. the thread you referenced was related to water damage problems which shouldn't be an issue since I wont be letting the fuel sit around for longer than a month. I'll also be using a water absorbing biodiesel filter coming from the fuel tank.

If this was a used machine I don't think there would be any question that I would try to find a source of straight #2 diesel.

In Mn, that's all we can get. I was told to run an additive such as Howes fuel conditioner for lubricity. It's not that expensive and I think it's worth the money. I also use it in my B3030 & my M9960. It doesn't take that much of it. I hope I'm doing the right thing...??

Don, I think you are doing the right thing. Biodiesel is more volatile in terms of going bad than regular diesel, so adding an additive for additional cetane and fuel stabilization purposes is a good idea.

I currently am adding diesel Kleen tank cleaner, diesel kleen biocide (to prevent microorganism growth), and motorcraft (ford) brand cetane booster to my tank before I fill it. All of that combined with the filtration coming off of the tank should prevent any problems, I hope. There was a little bit of an upfront cost for the additives, but not much is needed to treat 100 gallons of fuel and it feels good to know that "my" stock of fuel is properly treated and lubed up to my liking.

I am guessing many of you probably fill up your tanks or jugs at stations that sell a biodiesel blend and not even know it. I know pilot/flying j only sells the blend now, same with loves, and shell stations appear to be only selling a b15 blend now as well. Not all station owners mark the pumps properly (which is required by law) so just be aware. If the diesel you are buying isn't clear as moonshine (ie it has a yellowish or greenish tint) then it is a biodiesel blend of some sort.

thunderdome

Gold Site Supporter
The diesel I have been using is red! Off road diesel that is dyed red (because no road tax has been paid on off road fuel.) I think it is #2 fuel with dye in it.

Off road diesel is always red, you are correct. Sadly the dye will prevent you from knowing that one small detail re: whether it is a blend or not. I would assume if the station is selling bioblend "on road" diesel then their off road would be the same formula fuel with red dye added to it.

For example: at the pilot station I've been referencing I have the option to buy was is called "reefer fuel" at the truck stop lanes. This fuel is used to run refrigeration units on cold storage trucks and is the exact same as "off road" diesel. But considering that the pilot sells bioblended on road fuel, I can only assume the off road is the same. No real way to tell unless you ask someone, which I plan on doing.