First off, Thanks.

I've looked through these forums for a while now, looking for answers or better ways to modify something, or just looking for ideas. Thanks are in order because you all have made my job a little easier.
Me? .. I work for a non-profit company. They employ disabled (I know that not "politically correct" anymore) persons, at least 75% of our workforce. We have the grounds maintenance contract on F.E. Warren AFB in Cheyenne Wyoming. My job, besides maintaining and repairs, is to modify or purchase equipment that our employees can operate safely, givin their certian needs. Love my job!
Some days I might get frustrated, and my posts may reflect it. But, "fire that guy" is not an option. It's my job, and it's the right thing, to find another option. "Accomidate" is the goal. On the other hand, there are some employees that simply have no respect that play "bumper cars" with my RTV's. (they are gone, by the way).
I've turned wrenches for about 15 years now, and I worked for a real mechanic once. Someday, I'll be that guy. Untill then, I'll offer any experience I have and I'll keep on asking questions.
Thanks.

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
Yup, that's one of the good things about this forum. It's not too big but there's enough people on here with a lot of experience. No matter what you want to do you never have to rediscover the wheel unless of course you want to. Whatever you're thinking of attempting, there's always somebody who's tried it before you or knows someone who has. It does save a lot of trial and error on a project.

Glad you're here.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Your welcome Thomas and welcome to the team. We all like to help each other when we can, especially when it comes to talking about one of our favorite pastimes; Tractors, RTV's; ATV's etc. :D

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
I am disabled myself and confined to a wheelchair for the last 24 years, but that doesn't stop me.

But I've never played bumper car:bonk:

Too funny:14_6_12:

If you knew the frustrations you could justify the release.

Was a card carrying mechanic for 9 years, fireman for 9, draftsman and now work in an IT dept. Spent 3 summers a long time ago welding, no, being a gofer, sometimes allowed to weld. Took a course on machinist.

Life has a way of turning things around so you have to adapt.

I have the heart of a mechanic, but it's frustrating when you just can't do somethings like before. So you find new way, not always, but hopefully you have friends. I talk they work.:whip:

Anyway, I had a 450 Honda TRX and replaced it with the RTV900. Then got the 11. Hand controls are an old hockey stick shaft with a #10 screw in the end and an old kids shovel with the shovel broken off and a #10 screw in the end of it. Gas/brake pedal have hole drilled to just allow the head of a #10 screw through. Oh and t-handle on the end of gas stick. This lays by my right leg, brake stick between my legs. Head of screw keeps sticks from bouncing out of hole yet any else can drive by just removing sticks and laying them on the floor.

And off I go a plowing snow at 13 below and loving every minute.

Frustrations forgotten.:14_6_12:

Just installed a turbo, all by myself, and we, my son, have just got it dialed in yesterday. Happy camper or what:dancing:

Thanks Thomas for being the Man or all those kids!

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
Thomasnchy,

You probably have run into all sorts of issues with your RTV vehicle fleet. Have you had issues with shifting, hard to get out of first/reverse, and adjusting the netural settings with the HST rod adjusters?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
SpudHauler, congrats to you for adapting and keeping on keeping on. :thumb: :tiphat: :applause: :applause:

I'm hoping Thomas will have a thought or two on the rod adjustments. :thumb:

I did have to adjust the HST on both of my 900s'. I jacked up the drive wheels and started the machine. After finding the "sweet spot" (no wheel movement) I ran them through L and R a few times and usually had to fine tune it again. That took care of my hard shifting most of the time. One mistake I made was adjusting the throttle linkage, in the older models the HST engaged WAY before the throttle, and I thought by adjusting the cable to the throttle it would help get it moving better when up against a plow full of snow. Getting the RPMs even slightly higer at idle before the HST engages seemed to make shifting difficult. The new ones seem to be set so that the HST and throttle are engaging much closer together. One one of the machines I did end up replacing the valve plate in the pump before I could get everything to adjust right.

Something I forgot to add.. When I first started adjusting things, the local dealer mechanic (heck of a good guy) reminded me to to check the linkages under the hood. The range select lever can bend right where the ball and socket connects and cause problems.

Spudhauler, how did that turbo work out for ya? Any noticable improvements? (I'm thinking or buying one of my 900 trade-ins for myself)

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I did have to adjust the HST on both of my 900s'. I jacked up the drive wheels and started the machine. After finding the "sweet spot" (no wheel movement) I ran them through L and R a few times and usually had to fine tune it again. That took care of my hard shifting most of the time. One mistake I made was adjusting the throttle linkage, in the older models the HST engaged WAY before the throttle, and I thought by adjusting the cable to the throttle it would help get it moving better when up against a plow full of snow. Getting the RPMs even slightly higer at idle before the HST engages seemed to make shifting difficult. The new ones seem to be set so that the HST and throttle are engaging much closer together. One one of the machines I did end up replacing the valve plate in the pump before I could get everything to adjust right.

There is a locking hand throttle available. You can set the RPM's independent of the pedal. I use it and have found no difference in the difficulty of shifting.

your right,

our new 900 has the hand throttle and it dosent have any trouble shifting when throttled up... now I'm not sure why that one I adjusted the throrrle on had a hard time engaging a gear. I think that was the one that ended up with the bad valve plate... I'll have to go back through my records and see!

SpudHauler

Site Supporter
I really like the turbo.

It just made the 1100 come alive.

Mine always felt like you were starting in 2nd gear of an automatic car, just no pep. And acted like you were hauling a heavy load when you started up and pulled out of the garage.

With all the adjusting it seems to roll easier and after 3-4mph it comes alive.

It took me 10-12 hours to complete, you would be faster for sure, and I took apart my servo unit at the same time so that took extra time as well.

Doesn't go any faster, just gets there quicker as in getting to 20mph faster.

Hours on these units make a big difference. Mine only has 60+ so it's like new.

The instructions changed between the time I first inquired and was sent a copy and when I received the turbo the new instructions were quite different. I would assume the 900 instructions would be different again. So it shows they are still learning about the subtle changes from year to year for both the 9's and 11's.

If you do decide, let me know and I'll give you my play by play for an 11.

Yes I would do it again.

'RTV1100 servo' post has the issues I found with this unit while installing the turbo.