Reviving Nicad batteries for your tools.

N

Nicahawk

While surfing I ran across this informative web site. There's a topic on how to revive your nicad batteries that we all use, and a lot of other good information. :read:

www.instructables.com/home

Hit this posts title in search box. (There may be a way to direct link it if someone knows how)

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good info Nick!!!! :thumb: I don't know how many I have sitting around. :hide:

Erik

HEY!
what are you trying to start here!:pat:

If my wife sees this I'll never get to buy a new cordless tool again!
what better excuse is there than "that new DeWalt kits only costs $XX more than replacing the batteries for my Craftsman, which is getting worn out"...?

I mean, would you tell your wife "no, you can't buy new shoes, just get those resoled"? (do you know the answer to the age old question "how many pairs of black shoes does a woman need"?

:tiphat:

shinnlinger

THat link had how to make masquarade masks when I went to it, but I assume it had to do with having your batteries rebuilt with new cells.

This is a fine option, but make sure you pay attention to amp hour ratings when doing this. It might vary by company and brand, but I think to get ONE battery rebuilt for my 15.6, 3.5 amp Panasonic battery was over $100 and it was only a 2 amp replacement.

GOes to Eric's point. It is often wiser to replace your tool that is 5 years old and fallen off the roof three times for the $20 more than it would take to get your batteries rebuilt.

xPosTech

Is this the instructable you mean?

Revive-Nicad-Batteries-by-Zapping-with-a-Welder

The charger I have reforms nicads from 9.6v to 24v. I have two (for Black and Decker). The first one I bought is for the older post style batteries. I had a bad battery that toasted two older chargers. With several tools using that battery, I went to get another charger. Was presently surprised when it reformed two marginal batteries into a usable state.

The newer charger takes the slide in, locking 'Firestorms'. Great chargers. They don't usually come with the tools.

Ted

N

Nicahawk

Is this the instructable you mean?

Revive-Nicad-Batteries-by-Zapping-with-a-Welder

The charger I have reforms nicads from 9.6v to 24v. I have two (for Black and Decker). The first one I bought is for the older post style batteries. I had a bad battery that toasted two older chargers. With several tools using that battery, I went to get another charger. Was presently surprised when it reformed two marginal batteries into a usable state.

The newer charger takes the slide in, locking 'Firestorms'. Great chargers. They don't usually come with the tools.

Ted
Yes ...that's the one. Are the Firestorms interchangeable with the Black and Decker? All my rechargeable tools are DeWalt and I'll check their new chargers to see if they will also reform dead batteries. That would be great. I wish someone would come up with a "universal" charger that would take batteries from several different brands. Just a thought, could you take a trickle charger and attach the alligator clips to the contact points and recharge them, or does the charging source need to be the same voltage? I've got two or three old batteries that I'm going to "play" with. Can't hurt them, I already gave them up for a trip to disposal. Besides, I really want to try the welder thing!
icon2.gif
More to follow after I try it.

xPosTech

Nica

If you get the 9.6v-24v charger (about $25-$35) just make an adapter from the charger to your battery. It's a Black and Decker Firestorm. It's a very fast charger. Recharge as soon as the tool starts getting tired.

It will send a high current pulse, check voltage and, if needed, another high current pulse, sense, etc. to reform the battery. Once the computer (yes) senses the pack is accepting a charge it switches to charge mode, periodically stopping to check voltage.

As the battery approaches full charge the lessening change in voltages between charge cycles clues the charger to what the final voltage will be.

In the reform mode (I'm assuming here - it may not be exactly like this) it shorts the battery briefly between pulses. At the Houston Post (RIP) we built a reformer for individual 1.25v cells. It applied a high current pulse, then shorted the terminals. This cycled about 1/1000 sec pulse, 1/500 sec short, about 5 mins to 30 mins, however long it took to reform the cell. That's when 1.25v C sub-miniature cells were $5-10 apiece. (Back before :starbucks: )

The indicator LEDs will indicate a pack that can't be reformed. I usually hang on to these for a while. Remove the ni-cads (dispose of properly - don't throw 'em in Dougster's Swamp :rolleyes: ) inside and you have a case to use as an adapter. Ask friends, etc. for a bad battery pack you can cannibalize. Wire from the empty battery case to your (old/bad) charger case and you will be set up. I did this for a friend with a Makita drill. When needed just slide the adapter case into the charger. The charger itself remains unmodified. You can also use a broken tool as a battery holder while charging.

Dewalt may have the same type charger available but it will be more expensive. I haven't tried, but I think (at least for the older post style battery) you only have to remove one "bump" near the base of the post to fit a Dewalt battery to a B and D. B and D makes Dewalt.

Ted

N

Nicahawk

Nica

If you get the 9.6v-24v charger (about $25-$35) just make an adapter from the charger to your battery. It's a Black and Decker Firestorm. It's a very fast charger. Recharge as soon as the tool starts getting tired.

It will send a high current pulse, check voltage and, if needed, another high current pulse, sense, etc. to reform the battery. Once the computer (yes) senses the pack is accepting a charge it switches to charge mode, periodically stopping to check voltage.

As the battery approaches full charge the lessening change in voltages between charge cycles clues the charger to what the final voltage will be.

In the reform mode (I'm assuming here - it may not be exactly like this) it shorts the battery briefly between pulses. At the Houston Post (RIP) we built a reformer for individual 1.25v cells. It applied a high current pulse, then shorted the terminals. This cycled about 1/1000 sec pulse, 1/500 sec short, about 5 mins to 30 mins, however long it took to reform the cell. That's when 1.25v C sub-miniature cells were $5-10 apiece. (Back before :starbucks: )

The indicator LEDs will indicate a pack that can't be reformed. I usually hang on to these for a while. Remove the ni-cads (dispose of properly - don't throw 'em in Dougster's Swamp :rolleyes: ) inside and you have a case to use as an adapter. Ask friends, etc. for a bad battery pack you can cannibalize. Wire from the empty battery case to your (old/bad) charger case and you will be set up. I did this for a friend with a Makita drill. When needed just slide the adapter case into the charger. The charger itself remains unmodified. You can also use a broken tool as a battery holder while charging.

Dewalt may have the same type charger available but it will be more expensive. I haven't tried, but I think (at least for the older post style battery) you only have to remove one "bump" near the base of the post to fit a Dewalt battery to a B and D. B and D makes Dewalt.

Ted
Great information.:applause: I've gotta make a run to Lowe's in a couple of days (75 miles) and will look for one (a charger). In the past I did what Eric mentioned...just bought another tool that came with two batteries. Told the boss it was for a project I was working on for her.:rolleyes: Worked sometimes.

mobilus

Where is the Dougster, anyway?

I think this is the longest a post has gone without his input...

Probably got all caffeined up and caused a ruckus in the fancy coffee house.

N

Nicahawk

Where is the Dougster, anyway?

I think this is the longest a post has gone without his input...

Probably got all caffeined up and caused a ruckus in the fancy coffee house.
He may be in shock if he was cheering for New England.:pat:

rback33

My Dad saw something about resurrecting batteries like this. Of course it was right after he bought me 2 new ones for Christmas rather than getting me what I WANTED.:eek: He is anxious to try it on my old batteries...