Harbor Freight: Coupons, and recommended tools

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
I've bought a number of things from Harbor Freight over the years. My usual philosophy on tool or equipment buying is that if it's something that I am going to use a lot, then I tend to buy the best that I can afford. If it's something that I'm going to use once in a blue moon, then just about any ol' crap will do. It's maybe my Scottish upbringing but to me there is no sense in tying up a lot of money in a piece of equipment or tool that you aren't going to use very often. I'm not buying a family heirloom to be passed down from generation to generation.

I bought a hand crank drum pump about 8 years ago and used it maybe 6 times, worked perfectly every time. I'm a little surprised that it's lasted this long. About 2 years ago, I bought a drum lifter and I've used it quite often. It was about 1/2 the price of other units out there and, come on, it's a pretty simple piece of equipment and the lift capacities were comparable, so why not?

If you keep in mind what you are buying from HF, there can be some good deals but don't expect to spend $250 on a 5 kW generator and expect it to run like a $3000 Honda. That ain't going to happen but if all you need is a generator for occasional use (very occasional use) then it might well meet your needs, at least for a little while. :wink::wink::wink:

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Shamelessly stolen from someone else who referenced it:

HF Tool review

That article lists and describes many, many HF items, and puts them in categories of good/maybe/no.

Best article I've seen. Well worth reading clear to the end.

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks.

I've had mixed results with their stuff. This will give me some confidence in some of their items.

One review would keep me from buying the chop saw

But I will only give my Worst HF purchase…. that 50$ CRAP chop saw! It’s like trying to cut a knife with butter.
:yum::yum::yum::yum:

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Another 20% Off coupon.

Good 2/27 - 3/2.

Note the &customer= field in the URL at the top of your screen. (after you have clicked the link below and you see a coupon on your screen). Change all the digits around in &customer, and hit enter again so you get a coupon with a unique barcode - then print that out to take to the store. Theoretically they won't honor another coupon from the 'same' customer.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa...&r=4250_118618&cust=002183593290&keycode=0000

And look out for HF's gotcha. Their registers are programmed to refuse the discount coupon if you offer it *after* presenting some other coupon. So put your most expensive item on the cashier's counter first, along with the coupon.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
20% coupon, 3/20 - 3/23

As noted above, make up your own customer # (as part of the URL) and enter it again, to put that new number and its barcode on your own coupon that you see on your screen. Then print it out.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Here you go. 20% off, good through 6/29.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa...ue&r=4995_835710&cust=0031212340&keycode=0000

Please revise the customer# you see on your screen after entering that, as I described previously. Then press Enter again to make a unique printable coupon which shows the customer # you made up. Otherwise the first person to use the coupon would lock out subsequent users.
(No, that's not my customer#! :D )

Another 20% Off coupon.

Good 2/27 - 3/2.

Note the &customer= field in the URL at the top of your screen. (after you have clicked the link below and you see a coupon on your screen). Change all the digits around in &customer, and hit enter again so you get a coupon with a unique barcode - then print that out to take to the store. Theoretically they won't honor another coupon from the 'same' customer.

And look out for HF's gotcha. Their registers are programmed to refuse the %-off coupon if you offer it *after* presenting some other coupon. So put your most expensive item on the cashier's counter first, along with this coupon.

thumbs

thankd for the help and the info on the coupon. Very cleaver. Very cool how that works.

Now where do I get these coupons? I've looked all over the net and can't find them.

thanks again for the help

thumbs

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
When you are in HF, sign the little card for their email specials. Or click in the upper right of this page, which is an example of what they send out.

Note, again, that the customer number gets applied to the individual coupons so you need to make sets with unique customer#s if you want to give away coupons etc.

thumbs

I get the flyers but not a coupon like you posted. I have never seen a coupon like you posted. Well one that I got sent to me by HF. I went into the signup think and checked my selections for what I wanted them to send and they show email but they never seem to get here.

thumbs

California

I can't get to HF before the coupon will expire. If you come across another one could you post it? I am tryin to get HF to send me the coupons but as of yet no luck.

thanks for the help

thumbs

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Here ya go. Thru 7/6.

As always - substitute a unique customer# in your browser's destination bar and press enter again. Then print that unique coupon.

thumbs

California

Hey thanks again. I emailed HF customer service about the fact I wasn't gettin the emails but the guy really wasn't to helpful. He emailed me back so I know their email is gettin to me but not the coupons. I get the fliers in the mail but nothing email. Oh well

In the link you sent was an add to white list. I went through the steps and hf is on the white list. The guy at hf said to white list hf but I didn't have a clue as to how. Maybe I'll get the emails now.

Yep I'll do the bar code thing. Thanks again for the help

thumbs

Last edited:

PBinWA

There is a 20% off coupon in American Rifle magazine this month. If you aren't a NRA member then perhaps you know someone who is. ;)

Jim_S

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
The current issue (August) of Progressive Farmer has a 20% coupon on page 46. You'll have to have the magazine, the fine print says originals only can't be a copy.

Jim