Tiller chain lube?

urednecku

OK, I finally got to that old tiller that's been setting under the oak tree for, um, well, I've had it about 5 years. (A friend wants me to use it for him.) Got the slipclutch worked over, & figured I'd change the gear lube, using 90 wt, & the chain lube. What would ya'll recomend for the chain? PTO shaft turns the gearbox, then a shaft to the left side, where there's a chain enclosed under a cover (which I also need to remove, clean and re-seal.)
NO idea what brand this thing is, it's orange in color, and has the metric nuts & bolts. Yea, I know, pictures would help, but I didn't get any.
Thanks!!

urednecku

Motorcycle chain lube works great.

That would be excellent for an open chain. This one is in a closed shield, with an 'oil level' plug. Looks like it probably holds about a quart or so.
I got to thinking this mornin', wondering how chain saw bar oil would work. I might just use some 30wt motor oil I have sitting around. The tiller's old, & I don't figure I'll be using it too much, depending on how it works behind my tractor. Neither tractor has the 'creaper' trans, so they might pull it too fast. Also, it's only about 56" cut, so it won't even cut out my tracks.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Congrats Urednecku, It may have the brand indented on the gearbox somewhere. I will look in my manual tomorrow and let you know about the recommended oils for mine . Bordercollie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Drive chain lubrication- Shell Alvania EP 00 or equivalent -alternate is SAE 90 wt oil
Gearbox- SAE 80-90 W EP oil
540 pto
This is what the Land Pride manual states. bordercollie

urednecku

Thanks, BC. I did pick up a couple quarts 80 -90 @ wally world's, figured it'd work good as any in an old machine. And a tube of red Perma-tex to make a gasket with.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Good Luck URU, I have yet to use mine for the first time. I've been busy spraying -the farm neighbor crops should should be coming up any day so that will put an end to that, and the cow work is slowing down finally. Let me know if you need any manual details and I will post them. Only thing that has really been pounded in my head on using it is to check the length of the pto shaft with the machine and equipment level.If the shaft won't slip on at that level point then it is too long and may damage something. Bordercollie

urednecku

Thanks, BC. Only other question I might have would be chain tension. I'm thinking tight enough it's not 'slapping', & can't slip, but not really 'tight'......kinda like a motorcycle. There's no way to see just how tight it is from the outside, but it does have what I figure is an adjustment bolt with locknut sticking outta the side. I'll be taking the cover off soon as I get a chance to make sure it's worth messing with & not worn out.