DK55 PTO Won't Engage

truckguy

I have a 2012 Kioti DK55 tractor, 4WD, loader, 600 hrs, and the cab with AC/heat. About a week ago I used it with a 7 ft. bush hog and had no issues. Today I fired it up to mow and the PTO will not engage.

I know the PTO is electrically operated and is hydraulic driven.

Here's what I tried - First I made sure the PTO Speed lever was not accidentally in Neutral and was set for 540 rpm. I then tried selecting 1000 RPM and back to 540 RPM. On the dash, the RED PTO indicator is ON, and on the right support the GREEN engage light is ON. I have also tried both AUTO and MANUAL settings on the selector switch. I have verified both the 10 amp fuse and the PTO relay are working properly. I have shutofff the tractor and restarted it several times, and also set the mower down petty hard.

All this has failed to get it turning, so I'm asking for some help.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Any linkage issues? Pins falling out or anything like that?

I'd probably take a closer look at that switch or something electrical (is there a solenoid in there as well?).

Once everything is engaged as it should, can you have someone look at the PTO shaft itself and see if it's moving slowly?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
A couple other thoughts. Can/did you check all the other safety switches?

E.g. you must be in the seat. To test operator presence switch, try driving the tractor at a low speed/low RPM then engage the PTO switch.

Is the clutch fully depressed when you engage the PTO?

truckguy

I talked the dealer shop and he said it sounded like I had covered the basics. He also told me that the pto wiring and solenoid are located on top of the transmission and can't be easily seen w/o removing the tires. I have the large Industrial vs the AG tires. It is sounding more like going in for service

That said, your ideas are worthy of checking too. The pto here is hydraulic driven with a solenoid to engage it. But the answer is yes - I tried with/wo the clutch engaged and I was setting in the seat. It is possible that a wire has dislodged from the engage switch on the right ROPS member, but that too is fairly involved to get to it.

truckguy

I dropped it off at the shop today and they performed a quick check to see if I missed anything. It will be a couple of weeks before they get to the repair, so I ll let you know the outcome.

truckguy

Well, the verdict is in. The shop found the issue in 15 minutes. Another case of MICE or GROUND SQUIRRELS eating the wires. They had chopped the wires off right at the PTO solenoid valve, rendering it inoperable and non repairable.

A new solenoid was installed and the issue is solved.

The shop guys say this is becoming an issue they are seeing more and more on tractors. In fact, they recommend that I add some bait traps inside the cab and underneath the tractor when setting idle for a few weeks.

Lee1935

Mice and wood rats for some reason hate the smell of bounce fabric softeners. I keep plastic bags stuffed with bounce sheets, even old socks work , just about anyplace I don't want wires chewed ☺