Hi I finally had time to say hello

gdebt

Hi everyone,
I have finally had some time to say hello and let you know what I have been up to at least as far as my tractor time.
I have a JD 4410 and a few attachments. As with everyone around this area I am behind.

We go to auctions every spring and buy trees to add to our property. This year we bought a dozen. Most of them I could put in with the post hole digger with a bit of hand digging. This year 3 trees I really wish I had the backhoe but my eyes are bigger than my wallet. They had root balls over 30in each. The post hole digger just doesn't do well even putting in 6 holes per tree.

I also added a hyd top link to my machine as I am sure lots of others did as ccmachinery finally got them in. This is a very nice addition to work with.

Greg

Mith

Welcome, good to see you jumping right in to the other forums too.:tiphat:

Are bigger augers available for your PHD? I have seen them up to 30" diameter, not sure how much power you need for that though.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome Gdebt, I'm glad you joined. :tiphat:
Those JD's are nice. I would like to have a hydraulic top link, but I do not box blade that much to make it cost effective. One of these days though maybe I can see clear to add one.
Are you in the Sunbury that is located in the Columbus area?
Enjoy the forums and post often. :thumb: :D

jwstewar

Staff member
Hey Greg,

Welcome to the forum. Sit back and relax and enjoy the ramblings and post a few of your own.:biggrin:

It has been awhile since we've done lunch, we need to get one scheduled before too much longer.

B

bczoom

Welcome to the forum Greg!!

For a 30" root ball, why not use the FEL?

gdebt

I dont think I could dig that with the FEL it would be much wider and I dont think I want that big a hole. Unless I am missing something

gdebt

Doc,
Yes I am in Sunbury about 20 minutes north of Columbus. As to the HTL I debated it also and now that I have it the convenience is great. The barn floor is concrete so hooking things up for me is easy put I found that if I had not loosen the jamb nut before un hooking the last impliment things got ugly fast kind of like jwstewar's loader change. (just kidding Jim) but using it on many minor things has been a huge convenience. (YES I could live without it) but I would not be happy about it

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
gdebt,
Welcome. I am just South of Grove City and Doc is down near the Ohio River. Jstewar is just South or Southeast of Chillicothe.

edit.......
Oh Yeah, I have the same HTL as you. I got mine from someone else before he went belly up and CCM started selling them.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I dont think I could dig that with the FEL it would be much wider and I dont think I want that big a hole. Unless I am missing something

I thought you were supposed to dig a hole that is twice the diameter of the root ball. So a 60" hole would be perfect. If your loader is 72", I doubt the extra would hurt anything. Depending on where your wanting to plant it, the FEL could work.

I spent 15 yrs in Cols. Some in Grove City but mostly in Gahanna area. I have two daughters still up there, both married. One is in insurance and the other is an architect. Jerry, for some reason I thought you were in the Lancaster area.