Starter Generator problem

blacksmithman

SideView1.jpg

I was using my homemade loader on my 1976 MTD 990 tractor clearing my elderly neighbors driveway of snow when my starter generator started making a loud grinding sound. :shitHitsFan: It lasted for only a few seconds but it did this a few times. I oiled the bearing and continued the job. I removed the S/G and took it apart. The shaft at the bronze bearing was worn down to a taper from 9/16" dia. to 1/2" dia. and about 5/8" long. The bronze bearing was shot, way over 9/16" dia. ID. I had a replacement bearing and installed it on the end plate. I had to machine a slot on the side for the felt packing that brings up oil from the pocket below. I removed the front face plate on the S/G and placed the windings in my lathe. I turned the shaft down so I could press fit a sleeve.
PressFitSleeve.jpg

I then remachined the end to 9/16" dia. (.562 dia.)
Machinedtosize.jpg

I reassembled everything and installed it on the tractor. It work perfect. It saved me about $100 plus shipping for a new one on Ebay. I'm glad I had a lathe and a bearing to do the work.

irwin

Okay ya got us all shaking our heads in envy..:wink: You sound like the right guy to have as a neighbor..:tiphat:

Mith

Hey BSM, good to see you here again.

Glad the loader is working well for you.

Is that one of the Delco S/Gs, or is it a different brand?

Nice repair, those S/Gs are expensive!

blacksmithman

Mith Yes it is a Delco and they list them for about $100 on Ebay. I plan on making an end plate out of aluminum so I can replace the bronze bushing for a bearing. I made a sketch of the dimensions so all I have to do is machine up the part. I can not rework the existing end plate. I will post pictures if it turns out OK. My lathe is a 1928 9" South Bend change gear type. It is old but still works.

Last edited: