My Low Buck Shredder

MBDiagMan

E-5, US Army 1968 to 1971
Site Supporter
I ran the same shredder (some call them a rotary cutter) for 24 years until it reached a point that it consists of more weld than original metal. I bought a John Deere 613 for very reasonable money. It was in very good shape and had never been welded on, but the rear apron was torn to smitherenes(sp?)

I forgot to take pictures before the work so I layed the metal that I cut out of the back on the ground for the pictures. The rear three sections were fabricated in a strange arrangement. The left third was vertical while the center and right side are about 30 degrees from vertical. I cut it all out and fabricated and welded in the three sections in their original angles. I then put 2 X 2 X 3/8 bar across the bottom in the rear to stiffen it, hopefully preventing future similar damage.

Since spending over a year working in a fork truck shop where we REGULARLY repaired damage from the previous days demolition derby, my fabrication skills got pretty good. I'm proud of my work on this one. Hopefully I get the pictures posted below:

Attachments

• DSC00002.jpg
    DSC00002.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 290
  • DSC00003.jpg
    DSC00003.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 280
  • DSC00004.jpg
    DSC00004.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 282
  • DSC00005.jpg
    DSC00005.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 277
  • DSC00006.jpg
    DSC00006.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 279
  • DSC00007.jpg
    DSC00007.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 279

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Like BC said, very nice work. It looks great. :thumb:

Where is the discharge though? Most shredders / rotary cutters / brush hogs have an outlet in the rear for debris to fly out of.

MBDiagMan

E-5, US Army 1968 to 1971
Site Supporter
Yes, my old shredder had a center opening in the rear. These particular models evidently rely on the two angled sections for the cuttings to drop out. I have seen several other shredders of this same model and they came from the factory in the same configuration. I put this one back in that factory configuration. I may very well be in for a surprise when I cut with it.

Of course the original idea of a shredder was for shredding the cuttings from behind a combine and dropping them on the field. A finish mower on the other hand always has a carefully laid out discharge chute.

Thanks for the compliments.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Interesting. It reminds me of a mulching mower which chops up the grass a little finer, if a shredder can do that that would be a good thing!!!! :thumb:

Archdean

I just closed up the back of my rotary cutter to do exactly what your shredder does, I have a ton of oak leaves and it reduces them to dust!