Hauling a couple of rocks

jwstewar

Staff member
Monica's Aunt has given her some big rocks. I believe there are only 2 or 3 of them. When I say big, these aren't huge, but big enough that I can't pick them up or move them by hand - even with help. I've seen the rocks, but not recently and when I saw them I wasn't studying them to move them, so I don't remember the exactly size, but I say roughly 2'x2'x3'. Something like at. Here is my thought. What do you think?

I plan on taking the tractor/FEL on my 16+2 trailer. I will load the rocks with the loader and put them up against the front rub rail. I'll then probably through a strap around all of them including the rail to keep them from sliding. Then when I load the tractor I'll dump the bucket and set it on top of the rocks thus helping to hold them. Then I'll through a strap over top the loader.

Might have to play this by ear depending on the sizes once I get there, but with the weight distribution hitch, I think I'll be OK tongue weight wise. I'll only be going about 10 - 12 miles. I can either do town to freeway or I can do a couple of county roads with lots of fairly sharp turns.

Archdean

Jim there is a pretty good reason that you couldn't pick them up even with a very strong helper.:wink:

Solid lime stone = 163 lbs per cubic foot
Granite solid = 168 " " " "
Quartz = 165 " " " "

Your guesstimate on size = 12 cubic feet per rock

12 x avg 165 = 1980 pounds x 3 rocks 5940 pounds + tractor is a pretty good load for a 16x2 trailer. :pat:

Was fun looking this up and good luck to you and your helper:tiphat:

jwstewar

Staff member
Maybe my sizes are off, but I bet these don't weigh any where near that. I'll say 2-400 lbs would be my guess. I'll let you know if the tractor can't move them .:)

jwstewar

Staff member
On the one rock Dean, I bet you weren't far off. It is huge. The tractor could drag it with a chain but the loader wouldn't lift it. I was able to tip the loader just a bit to raise the leading edge off the ground, but that was about it.:eek: I then drove to the trailer and started up the ramps. The action of the ramp and with me on the hydraulics allowed me to lift the rock. I then was able to proceed up the ramp and onto the trailer w/o issue. I had it chained to the loader with one of my tie-down chains so I brought that rock home with only 3 chains on the tractor and then a strap over the loader and a chain over the tiller. That rock was HEAVY!!! It totally changed the way the truck handle the tracotor and trailer. No problems, but I could tell there was more wait back there. I told Monica on the way home that we needed pics. Then when I got here, I was in such a hurry to get it off, I forgot the pics until I had already dropped the rock:pat::sorry: - which I used the ramps the same way to lift the rock so I could transport it to its final resting spot.

We then went back and got the second rock, it is much smaller. The loader was able to lift it w/o issue. It is actually still strapped in the loader, by the time we got home - just now, it was too late to mess with it. Didn't really feel like unloading the tractor, but with the storm here, I didn't want my chains and binders out all now, they are already wet enough. Now I get to clean & dry them tomorow.