winches.

Though I might start this with winches.

as some of us have the need for them at times or at least there are others who need our winches I thought I would show my applications.

This one is in another thread but here it is. I used to have in on the backside of the bucket on a frame built for it. The frame is still there and strengthens the buck system. I would lay the bucket over and winch straight to it, thing is that it was always full of rocks and dirt so I moved it up here.

I have another one that will go on the rear, should finish it up soon.

As winches have become more popular all the time it is just fitting that we should incorporate these into out tractor systems.

Back in the early 80's I used to make a 3pt system with a pto winch like the one pictured that had a blade facing the rear. They worked very well, especially for the small cuts that the farmi and other brands were a bit large for. I made them with 8000 and 12000lb units for up to 35hp tractors.

With this larger tractor I like the permanent one in the loader and I am amazed at how much I use it.

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    204.1 KB · Views: 405
This frame I have started is winch intended. As you can see it has the easy coupling, although if I were to put an electric portable winch here, I would make the adapter plate for the winch so it could be slipped in from the tractor side so the frame would protect it. Having the male part of the hitch sticking out from both sides of the winch would not be a problem as it would maintain the same pulling direction.

I will be putting a hyd winch in this as I have one already. Should pick the new bearings for it today. Hopefully have it together soon.

Sorry for the small pic, had to shrink to get it in.

Attachments

• P1020867(1).JPG
    P1020867(1).JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 387
  • P1020868.JPG
    P1020868.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 384

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good thread. I have wanted a winch on my ATV but never got around to adding it. You are right, on the tractor it would be even more handy. :thumb:

Finally the winch is finished and painted. I had to make some changes from what I initially envisioned, but that is fabbing. This winch has a large hyd motor so it takes a bit more space than the one on the loader.
I had to mount it so the line will come in the bottom of the winch. Actually this is the strongest for the winch as it is not trying to shear the mounting bolts, but pulling in the same direction they hold the winch down.
Filled the case with grease so lube will not be a problem .

The paint is drying right now so it will be together and pics will be on the way.

ok, the pics.

I have a place right behind the tongs that I can hang a small pullet to fairlead the winch. I thing it is far enough away so the winch will wind on fairly well without balling up in one place.

The boom can be taken off and the toplink installed for using the receiver and the hooks.

Attachments

• P1020889.JPG
    P1020889.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 378
  • P1020888.JPG
    P1020888.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 375

shinnlinger

RD,

I like your work. What source do you have for your hydraulic winches and how much GPM does a hydraulic winch like? I assume you run them off your internal hydraulics, but my machine only has 7 gpm or so. I think hydraulic is a superior option anyway the electric output is even weaker on my machine than the hydraulic.

I would like to see some shots of how you tapped into your hydraulics and and how you control he winches if you have time.

Thanks.

Thank you for the kind words.

As your gpm is limited, take a look at a milemarker winch. They work at a low gpm as they run off power steering. They are two speed winches and are fairly fast in high gear and as you are putting out more oil than a power steering unit if the lines aren't restricted.

The winches I have are koenigs and I have had them around for many years. I have tried to get hold of them, but I think they have gone out of business. I used to make pto winches for the back for small tractors, worked very well. There are other hyd winch systems, braden, tulsa, ramsey, that use hyd and pto. These are larger units and take some gpm to be effective.

As far as hyd power for mine, when I bought the tractor, I took the option to have the extra set of remotes put on. The tractor has a factory lever to run them beside the 3pt life lever. To run the mile marker you will need to plumb in a valve in line with your loader system and put two quick disconnects so the valve can stay on the tractor for any tool you might want to use.

I am in Alaska now and away from my tractor, so sending a pic would be a tough one, sorry.

shinnlinger

Thanks,

Will be in coastal MAine in a few weeks and may try a marine salvage yard for hydro winches also.

How does one make a PTO winch? Old transmission????

GreenWannabe

Gold Site Supporter
Koenig merged with Rawson a number of years ago, and was known as Rawson-Koenig, now renamed RKI. I don't remember if they still make winches, but I think not. They still make service utility truck bodies.

Shinnlinger,
I have been out of the country for a while. To answer about a pto winch. The best of all-- except for a couple of things. They will break the line or something between the line and the pto. Having a shear key is paramount. What I like about the hyd is that as long as you keep cable in good condition it isn't going to break for what the winch is rated at. The other thing about pto winches, is that when you pull up a tightline, there is no way to release it. That is with worm drive units. either you back up to slack it off or wrench the pto backwards to relieve the pressure.
I did use the koenig winch with pto. The thing is though, at the time I could get 9-1 gearing and it would unwind through the gearing for slack. I had to get the worm shaft extended out the back side opposite the pto and put a ratchet system so I could lock it when pulling and release it when needed. At 36-1 it will not unwind through the gears as most winches made with the lower gear ratios.