Rebuild or sell?

Big D

Im looking for some feedback on if i should sell my 1955 To-35 Ferguson when my New Holland arrives. It is still in good working condition but i thought it would be a great learning experience to tear apart an old tractor and restore it to its original shine. What would you do and why? Also if you have experience rebuilting old tractors let me know some of the things involoved. Thanks

Mith

I guess if it doesnt owe you anything it would be a real great project.
I've always thought about getting one to tear down and rebuild.
Go for it! If the worst come to the worst and you are unable to finish it, you'll probably get really good money for the parts.

Mark777

Big D,

They only produced your model from '54 to '60. I would think the longer you keep the tractor the more residual value it maintains. Both the gas and diesel tractors were fine machines in their day, and I know a few who would never part with them - even long after they've been replaced with newer tractors.

If you make the time and have the patience, it will be a very rewarding experience. Although some may state that the tractor, in restored condition, will only fetch $4K - $5K...I'm reminded that you can ask just about any price and eventually get it should you decide to sell.

Here's a picture of a completely restored, upgraded Ford 'N' and the owner was asking $25,000. (Ridiculous ?? Maybe - but I believe he got near his asking price). It is *The* most beautiful Ford restoration I've ever seen pictures of.

Mark

Attachments

• Funk 8N.jpg
    Funk 8N.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 28

Mith

Mark, that looks like a (Funk?) V8 conversion, that would certainly raise the price over a standard one.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I used to have an 8n. I loved that tractor. I wish I could have kept it and restored it, but at the time I could not afford that option. What a GREAT pic of that 8N restoration above. It does appear it might have a V8 in it. :eek: :thumb:

Big D, if you don't 'have' to sell it I would keep it and take a shot at restoring it. Even if you kept it and didn't restore I'm sure you would find a few uses for it. It's nice to have a tractor with a dedicated brush hog or box blade. :D
How about a pic of the old gal so we see what you are considering getting into?

Big D

Starting a family and taking care of the house doesnt leave much extra time but like you said Mith its not costing me anything to keep it and i do enjoy having projects. Last year i had to replace the two stage cluch in it and that wasnt that hard after i had it done and knew what i was doing. I think after doing that i can figure out how to restore it. Pretty sure my decision is made to keep it. Thanks