2007 L48 vs. 2008 M59 Comparison

Dougster

Old Member
I promised to put together a "side-by-side comparison" of the 2007 L48 to the 2008 M59... the first one posted anywhere I believe... so here it is! :thumb: Enjoy!!! :)

Dougster

Attachments

• L48 M59 Tractor Comparison.jpg
    L48 M59 Tractor Comparison.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 68
  • L48 M59 Loader Comparison.jpg
    L48 M59 Loader Comparison.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 49
  • L48 M59 Backhoe Comparison.jpg
    L48 M59 Backhoe Comparison.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 46
Doug, you know what really makes both of these machines great for a backhoe or any other hyd attachment.

The hyd pump output is staggering. :applause:

Dougster

Old Member
Doug, you know what really makes both of these machines great for a backhoe or any other hyd attachment.

The hyd pump output is staggering. :applause:
Well, yes... but be a little careful when comparing brands. Kubota adds their rather significant power steering flow into the published figures... plus, if the M59 is rated like the L39, another big chunk of that published "pump capacity" number is dedicated to boom swing only.

Here is the actual breakdown for the L39:
Total pump capacity: __23.4 GPM
Loader/backhoe: ______11 GPM
Backhoe boom swing: __6.2 GPM
Power steering: _______6.2 GPM

Clearly, the L39 is a very fine and powerful machine... but you can see that you've got to read the footnotes and fine print for the whole story. :)

Dougster

larryRB

Well, yes... but be a little careful when comparing brands. Kubota adds their rather significant power steering flow into the published figures... plus, if the M59 is rated like the L39, another big chunk o that published "pump capacity" number is dedicated to boom swing only.
Dougster

This is new? THey all add boom swing and steering to the mix. Look up the yanmar or deere's 110 the new miniX by JCB.

Dougster

Old Member
This is new? THey all add boom swing and steering to the mix. Look up the yanmar or deere's 110 the new miniX by JCB.
Not so new at all... but I think Ed was impressed vs. the various Mahindra flow ratings which never combine numbers and always list power steering as a separate line item.

For example, a Mahindra 7520 could put 17 GPM into its ML275 FEL or, say, a Bradco 611 backhoe and have all of that available for direct lifting/curling/digging power. I don't have the breakdown for the L48 or M59, but the L39 can only deliver 11 GPM to either the FEL or to the backhoe specifically for digging power (i.e., as opposed to swing power). I don't see the operating pressure listed anywhere for the Kubotas, so maybe I am all wet here... but I was specifically addressing Ed's point re: flows.

You are the pro here and I know you have argued rather forcefully that swing-dedicated flow is inherently additive to backhoe flow for purposes of assessing overall comparative backhoe performance. I bow to your experience in this regard. In the end, not being a real speedy pro and limited, for now, by trailerability... all I care about these days when looking at a new or used machine is: a) price and b) rated digging power.

Dougster

Archdean

I agree with larryRB, it is the accepted method among manufactures to list their HYD output for advertising comparisons,

Manufacture Tech service manuals will show what the output should be at any given point! But you will need Dealer cooperation to see it in writing!

Dougster

Old Member
I agree with larryRB, it is the accepted method among manufactures to list their HYD output for advertising comparisons,

Manufacture Tech service manuals will show what the output should be at any given point! But you will need Dealer cooperation to see it in writing!
I'll let Ed answer for himself... but I believe he was just impressed vis-a-vis the Mahindra numbers. Mahindra does not include power steering flow in it's "Pump Output" line item. It's always a separate line item under power steering.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose. I'm one of those cranky old fools who is at least mildly offended by any attempt to put the wool over my eyes... even on a very fine series of machines.

Dougster

I'll let Ed answer for himself... but I believe he was just impressed vis-a-vis the Mahindra numbers. Mahindra does not include power steering flow in it's "Pump Output" line item. It's always a separate line item under power steering.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose. I'm one of those cranky old fools who is at least mildly offended by any attempt to put the wool over my eyes... even on a very fine series of machines.

Dougster

That's exactly what I was looking at. :mrgreen:

larryRB

Mahindra does not include power steering flow in it's "Pump Output" line item. It's always a separate line item under power steering.
Dougster

I'll argue this point with you too,,,, MAhindra separates the 5.2 steering and the total flow listed at 17.. The remotes and fel are getting 10.8 and ADD in the front half of the pump or steering and you get 17 TOTAL,, I had this argument with the VP of Mahindra in Tomball TX when I had a 4110. They are listing the front half and back half and using a total number and Mahindra isn't any better than other tractor mfg's that paly with numbers. It is all in HOW THEY play the numbers... Again there is a tremendous difference between one two stage pump and a two stage plus third pump.. You're talking day and night here.. BTW, the L 48 has a 5.2 steering, 11.8 main pump and an 8 gpm swing pump. (25 total of three).. The 110 Deere were very slighty lower, something like 23,6 or so total,.. THere was no way a 2000 model 4110 had a 11 gpm pump for fel and remotes,, IT was 7.4 if I remember,,, and this was from the VP,...

I'll argue this point with you too,,,, MAhindra separates the 5.2 steering and the total flow listed at 17.. The remotes and fel are getting 10.8 and ADD in the front half of the pump or steering and you get 17 TOTAL,, I had this argument with the VP of Mahindra in Tomball TX when I had a 4110. They are listing the front half and back half and using a total number and Mahindra isn't any better than other tractor mfg's that paly with numbers. It is all in HOW THEY play the numbers... Again there is a tremendous difference between one two stage pump and a two stage plus third pump.. You're talking day and night here.. BTW, the L 48 has a 5.2 steering, 11.8 main pump and an 8 gpm swing pump. (25 total of three).. The 110 Deere were very slighty lower, something like 23,6 or so total,.. THere was no way a 2000 model 4110 had a 11 gpm pump for fel and remotes,, IT was 7.4 if I remember,,, and this was from the VP,...

I'm staying right out of this one. :badidea:

Archdean

That's exactly what I was looking at. :mrgreen:

I really don't have an issue on what/how you interrupt the figures IE. whether it's a separate line or a line with a /? it's all the same till you put a gauge on the line itself and compare what you see to what the tech spec says what it should be ( it all comes from the same pump) and if your happy and it works like you expect it too I'm pleased and so should you be!

We can all get beyond ourselves in reading numbers but remember they all aren't absolute until you check them positively and not by manipulating presentations in an ad!

See page 2 of the PDF!

Attachments

• L40comps.pdf
    90.3 KB · Views: 13

Dougster

Old Member
Larry, I have verified my 2004 4110's pumps capacity ratings by test and by third party pump manufacturer/model numbers and the actual published pump manufacturer's data. I can send it to you if you wish. The larger 7520's capacity has been verified repeatedly by test. Same with the 6520. Mahindra does NOT add or combine their pump section flows in their brochures, website or advertising. They may or may not have done different back in your day... and I am well aware of the serious problems you had with a different pump than mine... but it sure ain't being done today. I will stake my Ancient Rusting Econobox (the only thing I own outright with title in hand) on that fact!

If that doesn't work, how bout' a Big Mac instead? ;)

Dougster

Larry, I have verified my 2004 4110's pumps capacity ratings by test and by third party pump manufacturer/model numbers and the actual published pump manufacturer's data. I can send it to you if you wish. The larger 7520's capacity has been verified repeatedly by test. Same with the 6520. Mahindra does NOT add or combine their pump section flows in their brochures, website or advertising. They may or may not have done different back in your day... and I am well aware of the serious problems you had with a different pump than mine... but it sure ain't being done today. I will stake my Ancient Rusting Econobox (the only thing I own outright with title in hand) on that fact!

If that doesn't work, how bout' a Big Mac instead? ;)

Dougster

Oh sure offer Larry the Big Mac all I got was a stinking fish sandwich:poke:

Dougster

Old Member
I really don't have an issue on what/how you interrupt the figures IE. whether it's a separate line or a line with a /? it's all the same till you put a gauge on the line itself and compare what you see to what the tech spec says what it should be ( it all comes from the same pump) and if your happy and it works like you expect it too I'm pleased and so should you be!

We can all get beyond ourselves in reading numbers but remember they all aren't absolute until you check them positively and not by manipulating presentations in an ad!

See page 2 of the PDF!
The particular comparison you posted is far less misleading/deceptive. I have no problem with that. My argument... if there is one at all... would be solely with the way pump capacity was presented in the L48 vs M59 comparison I posted above. Both columns were taken verbatim out of similar Kubota L48 and M59 brochures. Note the lack of footnotes, asterisks or any other form of use differentiation.

Dougster

Dougster

Old Member
Oh sure offer Larry the Big Mac all I got was a stinking fish sandwich:poke:
Hey, you started all this! ;) I thought I was doing a good deed by putting together and posting a side-by-side comparison of the L48 and long awaited M59... and you've got me arguing with my good buddy Larry! :badidea:

No soup for you!!! :mad2:

Dougster

Hey, you started all this! ;) I thought I was doing a good deed by putting together and posting a side-by-side comparison of the L48 and long awaited M59... and you've got me arguing with my good buddy Larry! :badidea:

No soup for you!!! :mad2:

Dougster

Hey hey, all I did was say that the hyd pump numbers looked impressive. You two went off on your own. If you guys would like a reminder I said
I'm staying right out of this one. :badidea:

And now I don't even get Soup. :bash: :shitHitsFan: :fight:

Archdean

OK you all! I yield~~~ The fact remains that brochures are just that and tech manuals are written for an in depth verification of the facts!

I do agree that Fords are better than Chevy's!!:mrgreen:

Dougster

Old Member
Hey hey, all I did was say that the hyd pump numbers looked impressive. You two went off on your own. If you guys would like a reminder I said... And now I don't even get Soup.
Just wait until YOU get a backhoe!!! ;) Maybe then we'll let you into the "Hydraulic Flow Wars" debate! :thumb:

Dougster