Changing PTO Direction

Btreefarmer

I would like to hook a front mount snow blower up to the rear of my tractor. I need to know how to change the direction of the pto shaft on the snowblower so it will work on my tractor. The way it runs now, it pushes the snow out instead of sucking it in??

Ductape

I've seen this done with a chain & sprockets....... give me a a lil bit and i'll see if i can't find you a couple pictures. Or....... dunno if you'd ever find one, but there used to be a pto reverser for Kubota B6000s, as their pto's ran opposite of most tractors.

Ductape

OK...... not exactly what i was looking for, BUT.... this piece was made to do exactly what you want, run a blower in the front. Picture this with large sprocket is the input from your PTO. Now reverse the function of the other two sprockets.... making the idler sit at the bottom..... and the second blue sprocket (which would drive the shaft running forward under the tractor) goes in the middle.Instead of being inside the chain pushing out...... put the output (middle) sprocket outside the chain pushing in. The sprocket in the middle turns in reverse..... reversing the direction of your blower. This was not the set up i was looking for, but hopefully you understand what i'm saying.

19089S2400074-med.jpg

D

Deerlope

New Holland has a front blower that runs off the rear PTO via a long shaft. Perhaps you could find info there.

Ductape

Sorry, you can scratch my first solution..... i was thinking you wanted to put a rear blower on the front..... not the opposite. :pat:

shinnlinger

Tree farmer,

The sprocket thing and buying a reverser will work, but here are two other options,

If your tractor has enough internal hydro pump, you could attach a orbit hydro motor to your blower and run it that way. If your tractor does not have enough pump, you can feed one off your pto and run it that way, and I bet you would find other uses for that pump, like putting the blower on your FEL so you can lift it high and not be bumping along with a PTO drive unit. Other exciting possibilities will also open up to you with such a pump I am sure.

The CHeap hick thing to do though would be to gat a 3 pt hitch carry all or build a heavier duty one (See homemade carry all forks in this section) and then try to find an old 3 speed trannsmision from a car. THese are proably hard to find these days, but a 4 speed from a late model sub compact might also work, a transverse mount one might take up less space.

ANywho, feed the back of the tranny with the pto from the tractor and then where the bellhousing ussually goes put a link from the old Input shaft to your blower. I guess this is where my idea gets screwy. Reverse and first are obvously opposite of ef each other, but since you have reversed the unit the speed of these may be alot higher than you want. SLiding into third or forth gear will fix this, but it may be still going the wrong direction, so I suppose the redneck way will require research into which way different makes spin their stuff.

Good luck and welcome...I suppose I would look at what a factory buitl reverser would run before I got to excited.

Btreefarmer

Re:shinnlinger

Thanks alot for the advice. I like the option of the orbit hydro motor. I'm going to the local parts guy today to find out what one would cost. I did look at the option of buying a pto reverser, but they are way too expensive for me. There is one on ebay right now for $350 with a day and a half left. Thanks again and I may check back with you to hook that motor up if my internal hydro pump isn't enough.

Btreefarmer

Tree farmer,

The sprocket thing and buying a reverser will work, but here are two other options,

If your tractor has enough internal hydro pump, you could attach a orbit hydro motor to your blower and run it that way. If your tractor does not have enough pump, you can feed one off your pto and run it that way, and I bet you would find other uses for that pump, like putting the blower on your FEL so you can lift it high and not be bumping along with a PTO drive unit. Other exciting possibilities will also open up to you with such a pump I am sure.

The CHeap hick thing to do though would be to gat a 3 pt hitch carry all or build a heavier duty one (See homemade carry all forks in this section) and then try to find an old 3 speed trannsmision from a car. THese are proably hard to find these days, but a 4 speed from a late model sub compact might also work, a transverse mount one might take up less space.

ANywho, feed the back of the tranny with the pto from the tractor and then where the bellhousing ussually goes put a link from the old Input shaft to your blower. I guess this is where my idea gets screwy. Reverse and first are obvously opposite of ef each other, but since you have reversed the unit the speed of these may be alot higher than you want. SLiding into third or forth gear will fix this, but it may be still going the wrong direction, so I suppose the redneck way will require research into which way different makes spin their stuff.

Good luck and welcome...I suppose I would look at what a factory buitl reverser would run before I got to excited.

Btreefarmer

Re:Ductape

Thanks alot for your advice. Before you mentioned the pto reverser, I was banging my head off the wall. I'm trying to find one, but that isn't an easy thing to do.

shinnlinger

Btree,

How crafty are you? Alot of time old machinery has pumps and motor that are alot cheaper than new. Surplus center might also have something reasonable. I am no expert here, but I beleive most hydro motos make good pumps. SOme will make easier coversions to you PTO than others, but they can be made to work. Stick the whole thing on a carry all with a old semi gastank as a resevoir and it could be fairly reasonable.

RPM???

Just out of curiosity...what RPM was the front-mounted snowblower designed to operate at???

Because most mid-mount PTO's are NOT 540...:rolleyes:

mtmogs

re. ductape

I like your chain and sprocket reverser. Simple, strong, and easy to replace parts. This is essentially the same design used on many large snowblowers. Attached are some pics of a Beilhack snowblower I modified to mount on a unimog showing the rear chain drive reverser case and a central bottom bearing carrier.

Attachments

• mog_w_blower.jpg
    mog_w_blower.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 246
  • reverser.jpg
    reverser.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 246
  • bearing_carrier.jpg
    bearing_carrier.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 238

shinnlinger

MtMOG,

Welcome! and valid point. WHat motor spins the blower?

I have an on again off again fascination with the uni mog. I thought I had talked myself into one a few years back, but when I started pricing all the stuff I figured I would be better off buying a tractor, excavator, truck etc seperately. BUt the look so Bad Mcbutted.

If you dont mind post it down in the "other vehicles" section. I would love to read more about what living with a 'mog is all about.

mtmogs

Thanks for the welcome Shinnlinger. I'm happy to be here.

The motor that spins the blower is a mercedes benz OM-321 inline 6 cylinder turbo diesel. It was the original powerpack designed for the blower. The unit was built in 1964 and was used originally at a German air force base. It sat in back of a car dealership in Ketchum, ID for a couple of decades. I was amazed that it cranked right over and blew a large rat nest out of the smoke stack! I guess the turbo prevented the critter from getting into the valve cover and causing some real trouble.

Sure, I will share some thoughts on living with a unimog in the other vehicles forum. Most folks nowadays like to use these old diesel unimogs for rock-crawling, convert them into campers and such, or even use them as primary transportation. I use mine for it's designed purpose, which is a sturdy, versatile tractor.

Cheers - Paul

shinnlinger

MtMOg,

NOw will you post it in the trailers and other vehicles section or the off road vehicles section? Feel free to respond there if you want to.

I have concluded (perhaps incorrectly) that mogs are like those old shopsmith power tools. The ones that can be a drill press, lath, table saw, etc, but seem to be a hassle to convert from one mode to another and cost about the same if you went and bought each tool seperatly ready to go.

Honestly, for the money, do you find the mog better than a conventional tractor? I have seen them with FEL's and hoes and brush hogs and all that, but they seem to all compromise a bit more than if they were on a tractor, but you would know better. Do you mount your hoe on the front or the back? Why aren't there more of them out there?

I guess the trump is you can drive yours like a truck, but an old pickup aint hard to find, and how is that thing on the highway?

smiley

I mentioned it in another post (Front mount snowblower) about using a reverser off a field chopper, if you can find one of the old small ones with straight through, not 90 degree drive.