Greasing Backhoe

BoneheadNW

I did my customary 10 hr greasing of the backhoe after work today. Seems like everytime I grease the BH I discover a fitting I swear I have never seen before. I'm not sure if other BHs are similar to Kubota in this way, but some of the joints to be greased have 2 separate fittings. Greasing the second one just puts grease in the same spot as the first. So why 2 separate fittings? Anyone else have this?
Bonehead
P.S. Mith- feel free to move this thread to the appropriate spot. I just realized where I posted it.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bczoom

Greasing the second one just puts grease in the same spot as the first. So why 2 separate fittings? Anyone else have this?
I can't speak specifically for your BH but on many many pieces of equipment, the 2nd is in place to accommodate for other "things" being in the way.

The most common example is on small engines. It's not unusual to have 2 or 3 oil drain plugs. This takes care of different mounting applications where the primary may be inaccessible.

larryRB

I also have a Kubota hoe and both sides of the pins each have their own zerk fitting. Most times it may look like grease in the same spot, you are really doing both sides of the pins