I need a tough push mower

Junkman

Administrator
I need a new push mower, so could you please advise the address and closes cross streets to your river lot, so I can pick one up when I am in the neighborhood. I will put a $50 bill under a rock for payment. If the money is gone when you get there, then someone else stole it........:yankchain: :wave: :smartass: :biggrin:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I need a new push mower, so could you please advise the address and closes cross streets to your river lot, so I can pick one up when I am in the neighborhood. I will put a $50 bill under a rock for payment. If the money is gone when you get there, then someone else stole it........:yankchain: :wave: :smartass: :biggrin:

:yum:
Sure nuff Junk. 187 mile marker on the Oho River (or close) approx 30 miles down river from Marietta Ohio. Look for the docks that are all by themselves. No other docks in sight. If you see the Bellville Damn then you went to far. :D Paypal me instead of leaving cash ... cause I know it would be 'gone'. :D

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Just mowed my river lot for the 1st time this year. Grass was 10 to 12 inces high. I set the lawn boys to their highest level and tore into it. My wife helped she used the self propelled and I used the push mower. Both didi great. Neither one died even once. Both mowers do have the off set front wheels (one is back behind the grass discharge door). This makes it nose dive on you once in a while, especially on a bumpy river lot. They are nice and light because of the aluminum mower deck.
Overall i think iIm going to like these little 2 cycle mowers.

Mith

Doc, I recall seeing somewhere that lawnboy decks were magnesium, not sure if that is the case for yours. Try setting it on fire and see. :D

MickeyNew

Big Wheel Mower

I own two Yazoo Big Wheel Mowers, a 20" and a 24". In my pursuit for parts I came across a company that still makes this style mower, Sarlo. The claim to have made them before Yazoo. I called them and spoke to the grandson of the inventor. They are commercial grade and pretty expensive.

http://www.sarlomower.com/index.html

Here is a picture of my 20" Yazoo:

DSC_0606.jpg

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Very nice. Those do look tough. I still have the old lawn boys. They still work. :eek: The Yazoo's would be a better fit for the property I'm mowing but I would hate to spend the big bucks for one. when the time comes to replace I will keep an eye out for them.
Thanks. :tiphat: And welcome to Net Tractor Talk!!!!! :thumb: :D

MickeyNew

My Yazoo S24

Yazoo made four size decks in the S series mower, 20, 22, 24, and 26. I have found a 26 for sale near here. It has a B&S 8.5 HP vertical shaft engine that the guy says runs. It would need some work. Most of the other sizes had 5 HP B&S engines.

Check out this 70's 8 minute dealer video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLUI2hjO7Ig

My S24 has a horizontal shaft 5 HP with a float type carb, which I think means it is older. I am looking for a hood for it. Here is a picture.

DSCN5249.jpg

Giles

Yazoo made four size decks in the S series mower, 20, 22, 24, and 26. I have found a 26 for sale near here. It has a B&S 8.5 HP vertical shaft engine that the guy says runs. It would need some work. Most of the other sizes had 5 HP B&S engines.

Check out this 70's 8 minute dealer video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLUI2hjO7Ig

My S24 has a horizontal shaft 5 HP with a float type carb, which I think means it is older. I am looking for a hood for it. Here is a picture.

DSCN5249.jpg
I have an S24 like the one pictured. I bought the mower frame, minus motor, and installed a new 6 HP Vangard motor.
One of the main reasions I rebuilt this mower was their reputation for toughness, and the simplicity of adding brakes---Yes brakes on the rear wheels, caliper type, to stop the mower while going down hill on my lake lot. Best investment I have made in a long time.

MickeyNew

Now I like that idea! These mowers are heavy, but roll freely. I worry about mine getting away from me, or worse, rolling back on me. Now to find an old bicycle to scavenge some brakes. :)

htr4

I've got a problem with push mowers...they show up on Craigslist and then they wind up in my garage. I think there's five out there now but only three ever stick around.

The best cutting walk behind I've had is the JX75 from Deere (Middle in Pic). They were about $900 new and occasionally you can find them used. They were pretty finicky though with the blade clutch bearings and self propel gears. I've never had a problem, but lots have! I use this one for mulching, it turns the small part of the yard into a golf course.

The toughest mower I've ever had and still own is my 21" Toro from the late 80's with a suzuki 2 stroke on top (Left in Pics). I have never done ONE thing to it except keep it clean and fill with fuel. Not even a spark plug. I've owned it for about 10 years and wouldn't trade it for any. It goes through wet, thick, nasty grass and doesn't stop. Too bad they quit making 2 stroke mowers.

The lawnboy in the pics gets used to mow around the pond. It's been swimming a time or two and keeps ticking, but the goofy staggered wheel makes it a little tippy in spots.

FullSizeRender.jpg