Help identifying a industrial tractor.

mark18mwm

Hello, I'm brand new here and hope someone here can help me.
A couple month ago I picked up a Massey Tractor/loader/back hoe. The guy selling claimed it was a 50C. I knew it was not by the fact it had a 3 cyl Perkins diesel and not the 4 cyl in the 50C. I then thought it was a 20C going by the decals on the loader, but this thing has had at least 4 coats of paint and who knows what decals were put on or even if the whole loader had been changed. Then I was told it might be a 40C. Now I am thoroughly confused so I call the Massey dealer here with the serial number, he is no help,but to his credit he tried looking for a way to tell them apart. Well, I was looking up the specs of the Massey industrial tractors and noticed the wheel base was different There is 74.5" on the 20B 77" on the 20C, 77" on the 30B &E, and 84" (if i remember right) on the 40. I have 77", so I think I have a 20C or 30C or E now. Does anybody know how to tell which one I have? It is a nice little hoe and the price was right and I am happy with what I have but I need to know what it is for when I need parts. To make it even more confusing I found the tags on the loader (32A, hoe 52A and the cab (which don't belong on it, it's kind of cobbled on) as a 50C. I guess that's where the previous owner thought it was a 50C. The tractor has a 3 speed with high and low range and manual fwd/rev shuttle, 3 cyl Perknis diesel. The serial number I found on it is 9A267660. Anybody have a idea how to identify this thing?

mark18mwm

Thank you. That was a big help. Good stuff to know, I even put it on my favorites to use as a reference. I also asked on the "heavy equipment forum" and another guy that replied said basically the same thing. I'm glad now that I can finally get some manuals for it now that I know what it is. You have any idea why a Massey dealer was really of no help? Also, if they didn't even know what it is do you think they will be able to get parts? Thanks again for your help, I appreciate it.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
You have any idea why a Massey dealer was really of no help? Also, if they didn't even know what it is do you think they will be able to get parts?
No idea. I know a little bit about research methods (retired government auditor), don't know anything about MF dealers.

As owner of a couple of orphan Yanmars I've learned you need the correct parts manual to maintain old equipment and then its easy to order parts by number. But you will frequently have to repeat to the kid at the dealer's - or online - what the part # is and what its for.

Today's tractors are a whole different universe compared these old ones that were designed to be owner maintained. Only an old timer, if you can find one locally, will know any more about your model tractor than you do.

There are lot of discussion groups online where you can talk with and learn from other owners. You will likely find this more valuable than asking questions at a dealer.