Tire Sidewall Split

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
Happy day to all of you!

My wife was using the RTV Friday moving cattle. She sent a text stating that a tire was flat on the RTV. Turns out the right rear had a sidewall split on the OEM ATV style tire. So I loaded it up on my 25 ft dovetail flatbed trailer (yes the trailer was a little small for the load) and too it to the shop. Turns out that there is a non-identical split 180-degrees out from the split that leaked.

For the life of me I can not deduce how the two splits occurred accept for they happened at different times or they are a manufacturing flaw.

I'm open to suggestions from the forum members.

Tires still have a LOT of tread remaining after about 650 hrs. The RTV is used predominately in pasture; therefore, not a great deal of wear.

Ordered two rear tire replacements (OTR 440 Mag) to match the tread of the other tires. They will be here Monday.

May God continue to bless you!

Philip

Mark.Sibole

Seeing they are low pressure tires with a lot of tread left and if not split wide open i would have tried to put a boot on them and add a tube.But it all depends on if the sidewall was split wide open or just a smaller split that was just leaking.I still have the original oem tired in the garage from my RTV that were leaking due to dry rot that can be tubed in an emergence and used.Generally spilts that are long come from catching something sparp in the ground when spinning the tires in the mud.Also you may have caught a piece of barbed wire while out in the pasture.

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
maybe your kubota dealer can shed some light on the tire problem. hate that when a tire has lots of tread left and it can no longer hold air or slime/air.

Fitch

I wouldn't spend a lot of time on it. Tires do that sometimes. When I had one split I put on a new tire. It seemed like cheap insurance at the time.

Our old RTV has the original steel wheels on it. I love those wheels. I bought an extra wheel and tire so we always have a spare tire ready to go. If a tire goes, we put on the spare and we're back in business.

Fitch

Last edited:

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
Fitch, where did you find your spare whee? I plan to also purchase a spare wheel to put the good rear tire on. I've seen them for sale on eBay in the past, but did not locate one recently.

Fitch

Fitch, where did you find your spare whee? I plan to also purchase a spare wheel to put the good rear tire on. I've seen them for sale on eBay in the past, but did not locate one recently.

The dealer in Carlisle, PA, which was then (2006) named Peterman's. It's now one of the Messicks dealerships.

They ordered it for me. I'd already dealt with the inconvenience of one flat tire so I just ordered the wheel through them. I don't remember if I bought the tire from the local tire store or through the dealer.

I've used the spare twice since I bought it.

Fitch

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Pepr, Hated to hear of your bad luck with the tire. Sometimes , the dealer has extra steel wheels with tires on them because the customer wants chrome set up etc.. Maybe you could find some that way. When I had a set about worn out, I used them in the drought months and got the new wheels and rims for wet season. It saves wear on my good tread tires. Good luck to you my friend. God Bless ya'll. collie

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
What I've found on getting wheels/tires from a dealer.

Check with the parts department to see what they have on a shelf from take-offs (like Bordercollie said). NOTE: Some of their BX tractor tires/rims are the same size but painted orange so see if they have those as well.

For those take-offs or if they have to order for you, get pricing from the parts department. Don't buy yet.

Now, go to the sales department and ask for pricing. Since these are items that can be ordered by the sales department, they have "whole goods" pricing as opposed to the parts department price. 99% of the time, the "whole goods" pricing is better than parts. If they have some take-offs sitting on a shelf, obviously offer them less than what the pricing is for "new".

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks for the great replies.

Just finished putting the rear wheels with new tire on the Kubota and returned it to the barn.

I spoke to the local Kubota dealer Friday about tires, but have not discussed wheels with them. Great advice!

Philip

urednecku

(Had internet problems last night & couldn't post.)
I have a G5200 that I (bought well used) & had to air up rear tires every day if I wanted to use it. The dunk tank showed the sidewalls purging air like the air stone in an aquarium. The tire dealer I buy 98% of my tires from had 1 used one on the shelf still in good shape for $20, & I orderded a tube for the other one for $20. For lots less than 1 new tire I was back in business.