Downhill coast of new x1100 rtv

wheeler

Our snowmobile club has a new x1100 with tracks and turbo. It has no engine braking at all. Is this condition adjustable? We are not particularly found of this condition. For safety reasons.
Are there other opinions on this ?
Thanks
Spike

ovrszd

I've not been around the new machines and/or one with tracks. I "assumed" all new RTVs had the typical HVT slide to a stop when the peddle is released. Hopefully someone with a similar machine will chime in. I'm curious to hear the outcome of this.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I was also waiting for someone more in the know to chime in. Wondering if the turbo would impact engine braking.

CKing

Somebody might have changed the coast valve, its part you can install because people who don't drive hydro's put there head into the window going from gas to break.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
the X1100C doesn't have a coast valve as it is a complete new design from the old. i will say the X1100C has a much softer stop than the old through the windshield models though. mine has braking and resists rolling when in gear but it will still roll but very slowly. my advice is when parked and in neutral or in gear you should set the park brake.

wheeler

the X1100C doesn't have a coast valve as it is a complete new design from the old. i will say the X1100C has a much softer stop than the old through the windshield models though. mine has braking and resists rolling when in gear but it will still roll but very slowly. my advice is when parked and in neutral or in gear you should set the park brake.

So it must have something to do with the turbo install. I will question the dealer about it then.
We have a 1100C that I am used to, so this is quite different. I am already getting used to it so it will probably work out just fine. Just curious about what others have experienced.

Rogerwh0

Turbos have zero to do with the breaking of the engine. they are after all the compression of the engine. I would bet the tracks have gear reduction in them. It may give them the ability to easily overcome the braking power of the engine

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
did some reading in the BOOK. it says the dynamic brake is a function of the high pressure relief valve. i think it can be adjusted to suite your conditions. my 2014 if released at speed will brake to a soft stop. i rarely use the brakes. it will roll on a slope but very very slowly.

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
Turbos have zero to do with the breaking of the engine. they are after all the compression of the engine. I would bet the tracks have gear reduction in them. It may give them the ability to easily overcome the braking power of the engine

This makes sense...

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
on the hydro rtv there isn't any engine braking anyway. what happens is when you release the peddle the hydraulic motor that drives the wheels becomes a pump that pumps back pressure into the system against a relief valve that gives the resistance or dynamic braking.it is totally a function of the hydraulic motors and relief valves. from reading in the shop manual it appears the high pressure relief valve can be adjusted to increase the resistance.

CKing

There are numerous high pressure release valves, they limit the amount of pressure the driving pump can put on driven pump.. thus the total torque and top speed, when you add a turbo SWAG has you increase that value so you can use the increased torque of the engine. So a slow stop is not from increasing that valve.

They shop manual is at posted at this link
https://postimg.org/gallery/1awxlcgio/

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
There are numerous high pressure release valves, they limit the amount of pressure the driving pump can put on driven pump.. thus the total torque and top speed, when you add a turbo SWAG has you increase that value so you can use the increased torque of the engine. So a slow stop is not from increasing that valve.

They shop manual is at posted at this link
https://postimg.org/gallery/1awxlcgio/

assuming the turbo install adjusted the HP relief valve correctly??

wheeler

Thank you CKing. That is basically what the dealer told us. It could be adjusted , but would compromise some of the performance gained by turbo install. Easy to get used to the coast for our application. ( snow grooming with tracks on).