Best edging for garden

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
We have a river rock edging around the flower beds in our yard. Those rocks eat up the trimmer line like crazy. I'm considering changing to something easier to trim around and still keep the mulch in the flower bed. Is there such an edging?

Barred

All that work you guys did to gather all those rocks and now you want to change? LOL Krissy and I got a load of rock yesterday from the property. She told me her pond was just about complete. (It will never be done!)
Well, you can always give me a call if you need a place to take them too :smile:
Landscape timbers seems to be easy on weed-eater string.

Barry

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good thought Barry, but ....the flower gardens are not the right shape for the landscape timbers. We saw this black plastic edging that you bury 1/2 of it and leave a few inches above grade. It would be plyable enough, but, the ground is like rock. Extremely hard to dig in. Gail was more attached to the rocks than I, and she agreed if we can come up with a better way it's okay by her. Time for a change anyways. :D Ideally, I would like it to be set so I could mow it and not have to trim .....I keep hoping that is possible.

Mith

The best I saw (and mowed around) had a row of bricks at the level of the lawn, around the outside of all the opstacles. You could run with the mower deck overlapping the bricks, so no trimming. You couldnt really see the bricks either.
not sure if that explains it well.

B

bczoom

Can you use Round-Up or something to keep everything away from the stones?

Re. the trimmer line, I've found a line that lasts about 10 times more then regular line. It's Husqvarna "Titanium Force". I can do everything around the yard with about 1 bump for new line. Actually, I just edged my concrete driveway. The line was in contact with the concrete for approx. 200' and I only used about a foot of line. It may be worth a try as it's a cheap/easy option.

Barred

I use Titanium Force also. Love it! BCZOOM is correct, the best line I have ever used. I purchased mine at Langs outdoor equipment. Located on Route 7, towards Marietta. I bought a good size roll, don't remember how much, 4 years ago and am still using from the same roll.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good info guys! Thanks! :beer:

I'll try out that line for sure. Sure sounds better than moving over 1000 small river rocks. :eek:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The best I saw (and mowed around) had a row of bricks at the level of the lawn, around the outside of all the opstacles. You could run with the mower deck overlapping the bricks, so no trimming. You couldnt really see the bricks either.
not sure if that explains it well.

Good thought Mith. that is what I would have preferred ....to eliminate the trimming or the majority of it. I have mowed places like you are describing it is a breeze to get er done. :D

For now I'm going to get some of that tough line.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I was hoping Lowes would have it. I have to stop there tomorrow for a couple other things, so I'll plan to pick some up. :thumb: