Anyone with foam filled tyres?

Mith

Anyone had any of their tyres foam filled.
I'm just wondering about how it affects the ride, how much weight it added, and the price.
Cheers

mobilus

Mith,

The only experience I have with this is with aircraft tires. We had a contractor come in and fill the grounded instructional training aircraft tires because it was supposed to cut costs in the long run. Prior to this time, we had been training on tire servicing and the wheels hadn't been checked for cracks (NDI) in many years. So instead of continuing the training, and running the risk of a tie bolt breaking and hurtong someone, they chose not to train that task here and foamed the tires.

We hated it. Flat spots would develop, and towing was impossible...and for wheel and brake changes, the weight was awful. :badidea: We took every opportunity to send those jets to the boneyard as we got newer replacements.

I know this is a far cry from tractor use, but it's all I have to offer.:tiphat:

Think hard before you have it done, and have a cup on me::starbucks:

Mark

Grrrr

All of the tires on my Countax mower are fillled with that foam that you get for emergency tire repair. It has been like that for a season now and our old mower had them filled as well.

I used to get loads of punctures, now I haven't had one since I filled the tires. It was cheaper and easier than taking the tire off to get fixed.

Don't think it adds much weight. Would do for a tractor tire though.

I think some construction equipment comes with foamed tires to prevent punctures from nails and the like.

Mith

Thanks for replies guys,

I was thinking of having the fronts done on my tractor as they seem to get a beating from the loader. I thought a bit more rigidity from foam might help.
The other option is going with 8 ply tyres like the rears, but they were not atall cheap!

I was under the impression that foam added more weight than fluid?

mobilus

Grrr, the foam I was referring to hardens and completely fills the air void in the tire. The contractor had us put the jet on jacks, deflate the tire and turn the valve stem to the bottom. When they were pumping the foam in, they drilled a hole in the top, and air escaped as it filled up. Once full, they stuck a screw in the hole and rotated occassionally as it sat up. I thought this was what Mith was talking about.

As far as the foam you're talking about, that's a total different matter. I had my Kubota dealer "Slime" my tires as part of the deal when I bought the tractor. We call it "Slime", "snot", or whatever. With all the mesquite thorns in Texas, there's no way that I could run anything off-road without it.

Mith, it probably depends on the compound. What you end up with using the rubber-type foam is kind of like a forklift wheel. Hell on bumps, but can take a serious load.

Mark

J

JDFANATIC

Foam-filled tires will ride much worse, but one thing to take into consideration is the added impact to the driveline that the air helped cushion. I used to own a foundry operation where our bobcats were subject to a lot of flats. Going to filled tires certainly helped, but the maintenance costs skyrocketed.

shinnlinger

MIth,

What if you liquid filled your front tires? I saw a unit once that aguy made from a foot or so hunk of thick wall 4 inch PVC sewer pipe capped with two cleanouts . He tapped an air compresoer quick conect on side and a regualr tire air nozzle on the other. He would fill the tube with anti freeze and then inject it into his tire. It would take a few fills to load up a tire but I am thinking of doing this to my front tires because as you know, as air compreses but liquid does not.

Bindian

Anyone had any of their tyres foam filled.
I'm just wondering about how it affects the ride, how much weight it added, and the price.
Cheers

Mith,
While expanded foam in tires works great in preventing flats, it makes it a royal pain to change the tires. Usually the tire has to be cut off of the rim. Slime is the way to go.
hugs, Brandi

Mith

Now, Shinn, thats a really interesting idea!
One of the main problems is when the tyre goes up against a stump and I know its going to pop the tyre off the bead one day.
Compressed fluid might just give the support needed. Now you have me really thinking!

Brandi, I havent had a problem with flats so far, its just the support. The tyres often get very close to rolling off the rims. I was thinking the foam might offer support to hold them in shape, now I'm thinking liquid might do that.

Cheers guys.

MIth,

What if you liquid filled your front tires? I saw a unit once that aguy made from a foot or so hunk of thick wall 4 inch PVC sewer pipe capped with two cleanouts . He tapped an air compresoer quick conect on side and a regualr tire air nozzle on the other. He would fill the tube with anti freeze and then inject it into his tire. It would take a few fills to load up a tire but I am thinking of doing this to my front tires because as you know, as air compreses but liquid does not.

http://www.rimguard.biz/

Bindian

One of the main problems is when the tyre goes up against a stump and I know its going to pop the tyre off the bead one day.
Compressed fluid might just give the support needed. Now you have me really thinking!

Brandi, I havent had a problem with flats so far, its just the support. The tyres often get very close to rolling off the rims. I was thinking the foam might offer support to hold them in shape, now I'm thinking liquid might do that.

Cheers guys.
Mith,
Yes, go liquid in the tire.
hugs, Brandi

N

Nicahawk

Brandi, I haven't had a problem with flats so far, its just the support. The tyres often get very close to rolling off the rims. I was thinking the foam might offer support to hold them in shape, now I'm thinking liquid might do that.

Cheers guys.
Mith, I haven't filled my fronts yet, but I filled my rears with an alcohol/water mix. It added about 400 pounds to each tire. The weight really helped and saves me from hooking up a ballast weight when needed. A lot of the big time farmers around here use alcohol and water. It took half a 55 gallon drum for each tire. Larger tires would need more. Mine are 14.9-24. It's not sup post to rust the rims and no freezing. Might be a thought for your fronts.

shinnlinger

Mith,

Your tractor is a bit smaller so I would think a gallon or two (4-8 litres) of antifreeze or alchohol would set you up.

Mith

At this point guys I am planning to fill both front tyres with pressurized fluid as you suggested Shinn.

I did my rears when I got them, I wouldnt be without loaded tyres now.

Cheers

Mith

I'd rather you went first! :D

Yup, I'll let you know if it works out. Gotta make a tank first, an old gas bottle ought to do the trick, connect a hose from the bottom to the valve stem, fill the bottle with the fluid, then pump air in the top. How can it fail?! :yum:

olcowhand

If using alcohol, use 1 part alky to 4 parts water. On my Massey with FEL, I used 1 part alky to 3 parts water, then 1 part antifreeze. I did this to add more corrosion resistance, as I am running tubeless. I got nearly 12 gallons mix per 26x12x12 tire.

Last edited: