Gasoline Storage Tank

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It appears I will need one for the upcoming boating season. The handy convenience store by the boat ramp has closed and shows no signs of reopening.

I know some of you have gasoline storage tanks so I'm asking for advice on where to get a good one and how to set it up. I've looked at tractor supply and while they sell fuel storage tanks they are for non flammable heating oils, not for gasoline. So, I'm afraid gasoline ones might be real expensive.

Any pointers appreciated.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Doc - My same questions from FF.

Can you elaborate on your needs?

Are you looking for a tank you would take to the filling station yourself or something where they bring the fuel to you?

How much does it take to fill your boat? Do I assume you need to get the fuel to the dock, Doc? (Always wanted to do that repetition... :) )

If you need to get it to the dock, what equipment is available to haul it? RTV and tractor or just RTV or can you get your truck down there as well.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Nothing that elaborate BC. I'd like to have the fuel delivered and have a 200 or 300 gallons, maybe a gravity fed set up. I would only be gassing the boats up prior to putting in the water, would not have any fuel at my dock. My boat club has gas and a huge buried tank so I'm covered there, but they are 20 miles up river so I need some gas to get there. Mine boat has a 90 gallon tank, SIL has a 44 gallong tank, Son has a 50 gallon tank. Course none of the tanks are ever empty. I normally take 60 gallons on a fill up. The 44 gallon normally takes 25 to 30 gallons. So 200 gallons would due me but 300 might be better. Afraid all this might be cost prohibitive unless I find a great deal. And as I said in a previous post, the store by the ramp that sells gas put a sign up today: now taking applications, so I have hopes the store will reopen. If so I doubt I go to the expense of all this.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Check in your area but around here, distributors have a 250 gal minimum for fuel delivery (unless you want to pay a surcharge). When you order 250 or more, the price is about what you would pay at a gas station.

An option I'm thinking of for you (using a gravity feed so you don't need to invest $400 for a decent pump).

Find a used bulk tank locally. Option B is a 330-gal tote but I'd consider these for short-term storage only.
Z
ibc-totes_2.jpg

Z

Have that tank someplace to where the fuel truck can get to it.

I'd then consider a fuel caddy for transfer from that tank down to the boat. This is something you can carry in the RTV and roll across the dock.
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Afuel%20caddy

41mzPy2tv9L._AA160_.jpg

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks zoomer. We had a similar issues years back before I started FF or NTT. TomsEQ fixed me up with some hose and line but I had to caddy the gas part way. Did not care for the caddy and will do my best to avoid that.
I've been warned about plastic not being a good solution for this. And, if I have to go with a pump I'll suck it up and do what's needed. If I want to keep it out of the sun a pump would be needed for sure. the potential leak issues of the gravity that someone pointed out on FF has me concerned. So, if I end up having to store gas, I very well might go with the kind I'll need a pump for.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I understand about the plastic.

Be advised that most hand crank pumps are not for gas and the internals will wear out within a season if you use it for gas.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Brian. Still hoping I do not have to take this plunge. Store is taking apps this thrus Fri and Sat so it appears as if it will reopen. I would welcome that and save some dough.

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
find a tank online that could work for you and think of anything different that you would do to it.aluminum would be the best to go with wouldn't have to worry about rust.few years back i made two 1000 gallon water tanks for a lift boat and installed them .there is alo a scrap yard near my house and my buddy has the key to the gate he lets me in to go find material for projects. i have seen on a few big rig fuel tanks in there from time to time now that i know your looking for tank ill pick one up next time i think they are 50 or 60 gallon tanks but not sure.

Lee1935

Have you checked with the county all of the hoops you will run into with such a system?
Each state could have different laws about everything used in building a new system today