Tractor Supply House Brand Diesel Motor Oil

UncleBuck

Asked wife to stop at Tractor Supply when she went shopping this past weekend, to p/u 3gals. of DELO 400LE CJ/4 diesel engine oil which is on sale for $10 a gal. She came back with Traveller all fleet diesel engine oil 15W-40 CI/4 which was on clearance $4.99 a gal. What Would You Do, use it for spring oil change in my tractor, a Mahindra 2002 4110 with 800+ hrs or go get the DELO oil which is still on sale till 2/14/10
P.S. Did not know what forum to put this in, figured it was tractor maintenance

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I was just reading a thread somewhere that referenced the mfr of the 'traveller' brand for TSC. it is Warren, or some name like that, who bottles generic oil for Wallmart, Autozone, etc. Their stuff meets specifications, while Delo is world-class.

$4.99 on closeout? I'm going to TSC tomorrow to buy some!

Note the reason it is on closeout is because of the new oil specification for 2007 and later diesels. This previous oil has better additives but the traditional additives crud up catalytic converters.

TSC etc needs to stock a one-fits-all oil, so they are apparently switching over to the later standard.

I think I'll buy several gallons. The pre-2007 standard is far better than the 1970's stuff my tractor grew up on. If yours is a India-version Mahindra I doubt the designers expected anything better than generic oil for it.

Last edited:

Erik

Cali - the 4110 is a Korean built rebadged TYM just like my 3510 -- and I agree, that sounds like a deal, I think I'm headed over to the local TSC to stock up for my spring oil change too!
Uncle Buck - thanks for the tip!

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Warren Distribution ...Omaha ... has been Tractor Supply Company's supplier of lubricant products since 1997.
Source: Warren Distribution, in the FAQ portion of their TSC section.

Here's their Diesel Oil page.
http://www.wd-wpp.com//tsc/fleetmotoroils.html

which presently says
TRAVELLER Fleet Diesel Engine Oils Exceed Warranty Requirements for all Diesel Engine Manufacturers and are recommended for all on and off-highway diesel applications, as well as heavy duty gasoline fleets, operating under all service conditions except for 2007 engines that require CJ-4/SL or SM.
I'm sure they mean "except 2007 or later".