Welders ?

Don

I have an old Miller Thunderbolt 225 that I bought in 68 or 69. It still work great
I don't weld enough to stay good at it. I get pretty good at it by the time I finish a project. Then have to relearn on the next one.

Here is a picture of a trailer I built some in 1975.

IMGP0055.jpg

Deerlope

Thanks!

I'm learning a lot from you guys with long experience.

I have an old Wards (Century) AC-230 stick welder for occasional farm repairs and projects. Here are some photos I've posted here before.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Forks to move harvest bins around. I made these up out of scrap.

attachment.php

Do you guys (or anybody) have pictures of welder projects?

My job for 35 years was a welder. I also have a Wards welder like yours but just a bit old. I have built and repaired many thing in my home shop. I once made a dump trailer(still have it) starting with only the axel and wheels.

ki0ho

Gold Site Supporter
Hi all
Thought I would bring this thread forward insted of doing a new one. I became a "proud owner of a hobart handler-187 mig unit. not sure why.... Ive always wanted to learn to use one,and just decided to get one and learn. The gas thing has me scratching my head though, Is there a gas that will work with all metals,,alum,steel, ect? or will I need to get several diff, cylenders to make this work? Have stick welded for years, learned to weld on an old forney on the farm, growing up. and have kept up with it working in the trades. the other day one of the girls sent a couple of metal stands home and wanted me to cut them down into little stools......to thin for stick rods, so I finley got brass to hold but sure would have been easyer with a mig....I think ??? Any way any help would be much appricated. Later Jerry:tiphat:

Mark777

Hi all
Thought I would bring this thread forward insted of doing a new one. I became a "proud owner of a hobart handler-187 mig unit. not sure why.... Ive always wanted to learn to use one,and just decided to get one and learn. The gas thing has me scratching my head though, Is there a gas that will work with all metals,,alum,steel, ect? or will I need to get several diff, cylenders to make this work? Have stick welded for years, learned to weld on an old forney on the farm, growing up. and have kept up with it working in the trades. the other day one of the girls sent a couple of metal stands home and wanted me to cut them down into little stools......to thin for stick rods, so I finley got brass to hold but sure would have been easyer with a mig....I think ??? Any way any help would be much appricated. Later Jerry:tiphat:

Congratulations!

Great reviews on the Hobart 187. I believe that the 'Tri-Mix' gases cover everything from stainless to aluminum. And the whole gas thing simplified is that it alters the burning atmosphere, minimizes metal distortion and isolates the penetration to a small area you're welding. I use the Co2/Argon mix almost exclusively...a bit pricey compared to straight Co2, but I weld allot of sheet metal and don't have to switch gasses for metals up to 1/2".

Those that have stick welding experience are much more likely to adapt to wire feed welding faster. A simple but effective set up is to use scrap pieces before you begin on a repair or build project. Clean (grind) the scrap piece that's close to the thickness of your project in two places...one for your grounding clamp and the other for the test weld. While to make a few test passes, you can dial in the wire speed and heat ranges and check the scrap piece from the underside for "Glow". The brighter, cleaner the glow, the better penetration you have.

I'm thinking that Hobart (and Miller) include a reference that suggest wire speed and heat ranges to metal thickness and the information is contained inside the unit's wire spool/drive cover.

For you, an experienced stick welder, the learning curve will be a matter of minutes, and only a few times with different thicknesses before you become proficient (and confident) with you welds. I have the Miller 210 and love the darn thing so much, and it's been so bullet proof for the last 6 years, that I gave away my old Lincoln 'tomb stone' to someone who had the need, wanted to learn but didn't have the funds. I haven't missed the welder since (but I do all of my welding inside my shop :cool:)

Mark

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
use the c/25 for short-arc and use pure argon for aluminum. but if your gonna be in any kinda wind just use flux-core wire and skip the gas that way you won't have to worry abot wormholes. the only time i use gas is for aluminum other than that i much rather just use the gasless wire. most of my welds are buffed down and polished so it really would be just waistin money to use gas too. one of the things about the gas is it will make a smoother weld as to the gasless wire will burn more like a stick machine. most lowes and even walmart sell the flux-core wire for under 10.00 a roll. plus it's alot more portable and easy move when you have to do outside jobs just load the welder and the generator and go.

Dargo

use the c/25 for short-arc and use pure argon for aluminum. .

Yup, I agree. I use tri-mix for stainless. I do more stainless for marine and "around the pool" applications than aluminum. I have a spool gun to do aluminum with my MillerMatic 251 but my welds still suck after 10 years of using spool guns. I guess I just suck at welding aluminum without using my TIG. My supply shop wants me to buy a new MILLER MILLERMATIC 350P. They let me use one and I really did do a lot better with aluminum. However, the 350P is waaaaay more expensive than my trusty MM251.

ki0ho

Gold Site Supporter
thanks to every one for the info. I got on the hobart web and they have a weld talk board and it is also a lot of help. I did get thecart put together this morning and the sun came out and it was back to the old honnydue list....Trying to finish up the new hand rail on the front porch.....If its raining I work on inside stuf...If it is nice out I do outside projects. The other day I saw where mother had made a LIST of the honnydue lists!!!!!!!! Those tree stumps are starting to look real inviting!!!! anyway I do thank everyone for the info. if it rains tomorrow Ill get back in the shop to "play er work with the new hobart........Now how to brake something.....just a little bit...... Later Jerry

ki0ho

Gold Site Supporter
Well this morning I got a chance to play with the 187hh and man is that something!!! Put it together and loaded the wire. threw a chunk of plate on the bench and lit it off. useing flux core. Kind of shakey at first but in a short while and a little knob twisting things were going smooth!!!! I ran a few beades and th en took it to the band saw for a look see. Looks like I get some what of a cold start each time. takes a while for the heat to build to get good penatration.... but then I was useing a piece of 1/2 in. plate to play with. I think if I need to weld on something very heavy with it I would want to preheat before starting with the mig. I did grab a piece of thinwall conduit 1'' I think and after turning down the settings that went right well also. Took a piece of 1 1/4 emt and made a handle for a sharpshooter that the grandson had busted out......I sliped a piece of 3/4 ridged pipe inside of the emt. before closing the end of it......Going to watch next time mother sends him out to the garden!!!!!!!! Any way thanks for the info earlyer.........Later Jerry:tiphat:

PBinWA

Almost three years later and still no shop for me. Actually, I've kind of given up on the shop. I need another building to maintain like I need a hole in my head. ;)

I've done a fair bit with my Miller. I think all of the trailer mods were done, I built a sub-frame for my Snow-Plow on my F-350. I've converted my FEL bucket to a Skid Steer QA bucket. I actually used up a whole 10 pound spool (and some smaller ones) so far - which is pretty good for me. I've done some other repairs on my truck.

A welder really is a must have tool.

ki0ho

Gold Site Supporter
Why didnt I get one of these sooner!!!!!
I broke the seat on the tractor...think maby japan dont build them for fat basterds!!!!
any way the dealer ordered a new one in, while I was at it I made a 4 inch riser to gain a little leg room,boy is the wire welder great! all Ive ever done was stick. and gas.what a change!Smooth sailing!!!!:tiphat:

eshack

I got a Millermatic 252 and shes a champ. built a few gooseneck trailers with a buddy and a small 12' utitlity with her. learnin how to run a tig just to have the knowhow.

Uncle Levi

I do....

I have a Hobart Stickmate AC/DC and a Victor acetylene set and an "old fashioned" blacksmith shop. Since I live 60 miles from the nearest real town, if I don't repair it, make it or modify it, I'm pretty much out of luck. I've learned there's no such thing as scrap iron----it's all project material. Mike

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
i picked up a few pieces of railroad tracks and cut them into 3 foot pieces and smaller .i use them as my anvil and hanging weights when bending aluminum.

Oldhand

I have a Hobart Stickmate AC/DC and a Victor acetylene set and an "old fashioned" blacksmith shop. Since I live 60 miles from the nearest real town, if I don't repair it, make it or modify it, I'm pretty much out of luck. I've learned there's no such thing as scrap iron----it's all project material. Mike

I definitely agree with that. Can't seem to throw even the small cutoffs away.