RTV900x ROPS Removal

mkc1962

I am giving serious thought to getting one of the new 900x rtv's. I am curious has anyone that owns one, or knows can one remove the ROPS?

reason for asking? I am buying it for property I have in another state, but want to store it in an enclosed trailer I have and be able to transport back and forth, Until we decide to relocate there one day. Its about 3" to tall to fit in the door. I could settle for a 500rtv and fit no problem. but really want the 900 Diesel.

Looking at one up close the other day at a dealer, I see where it does bolt in behind the seat, and also appears to have some bolts just under the edge of the dash. Just wondering if anyone has ever removed theirs. Calling dealer today they say its all welded in and not possible (sounds like sales guy with zero mech background and spouting liability talk)

any info appreciated.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to Net Tractor / RTV talk. I'm glad you found us.
I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question. No one hs asked that that I recall ...but, I'll admit, my memory is suspect.

There are a lot of good folks here, I'm guessing someone will chime in soon.

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
My older one has a lot of welding holding it together. Personally, trailers are cheap, either trade for one it fits or raise the roof on the one you have. Much easier than removing the ROPS.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
you could let some air out of the tires and lower the spring adjustment on the struts. might get enough to fit???

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
you could let some air out of the tires and lower the spring adjustment on the struts. might get enough to fit???

Excellent idea. If letting the air out doesn't get it low enough, a set of small rims with no tires might work.

mkc1962

Thanks for the feedback guys.....as well as the lack of liability speech that usually some want to endlessly preach.

also the welcome....been on Orange tractor talk for years but they dont have any topics for the rtv's.

As for the trailer I just took possession of a custom ordered enclosed just for this purpose and ordered it with the tallest ramp door height avail....that being 76"...I clearly saw lots of bolts holding on the one I looked at the other day. Behind the seat on each side entire rops has a bolt flange on the top that bolts to similar on the lower, have no doubt the rear is a no issue, but the front I could not tell for sure as the dash section was in the way but it appeared as though it might be a pipe in pipe set up with a through bolt....definitely not a fully welded as the sales guy stated. Was hoping someone that had one could maybe elaborate on what is real.

Most all other makes including the smaller rtv500 fall in that range. Heck even the 900 polaris would fit, but I really want the diesel from Kubota. not interested in a Kawasaki diesel.

have given thought to the tire pressure, but felt that would not be enough. was not sure what the adjustable shocks would give me, and sales folks didnt have a clue that they were even adjustable.

really would not care to have a spare set of rims with no tires, that would lead to a several hour chore every time I wanted to use it.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
my rtv isn't a 900 but it does have adjustable shocks like the one you are interested in. i will take a look at them tomorrow and see how much drop there would be but i am guessing for now almost 2 inches. do you think you could get a couple of inches more if the tires were real low on air? have you actually hands on measured the model you are interested in? also could you get low enough if you just removed the fiberglass roof and left the rops?

mkc1962

authur

Thanks for any info or real world specs.
If I could get 2" out of suspension along with loss of air it would probably work. I was not planning to get a roof at this time unless is came std which I don't think it does...but if so yes no issue with removal.
With all I see and read I feel what I am trying to accomplish is possible, but would rather be safe than sorry and talk to some real owners, as the dealers only suggestion is to go with the 500 which I dont want.

Dgrapes59

Hi, new guy here, I bought a 900 a year ago, used one, 10 years old, great shape with only 220 hours. Prior owner had removed the ROPS to trailer it somewhere, he commented that it was very heavy and a real pain to do. Upon further inspection, when I got it home I noticed that he had not put in several of the bolts, a couple would not line up. After purchasing replacement bolts at the Kubota dealer I had to loosen all bolts and fight it to get all back in. New ones may be better, but I wouldn't want to fight battle again.
Good luck,
David

mkc1962

David,

I have no doubt a complete rops will probably weigh in at 1-200 easy. I have a 2 post lift in my shop, so removing such would not be an issue. Even have an old yard trailer I rarely use it could be stored on. Good to hear on the bolts on the older models, sort of confirms what I see on the newer one.
As all Kubota tractors have rops that can be removed, it only makes sense that the one on an RTV can be as well.
Ironically this morning on the way to work, I passed a Semi that was hauling Kubotas. Mostly tractors, but what looked like a few RTV's in partial crates at the back of the trailer. Stacked they were nice and neat, not a one with wheels or ROPS/roof sections installed. Same with the tractors.

Anyone know of an online site for the RTV service manuals?...a full factory service manual probably has a section on this topic. I know the FSM for my tractor does.

thanks again for the input, Mike

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
You can get a Kubota one from the dealer such as Messicks Equipment- one of our sponsors. I have also seen them on ebay in cd form as well .
The manuals (for older machines ) are not the best- still bad English at times and light on details sometimes needed. but better than they could be I guess. bordercollie

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
I looked at Kubota Parts. It appears the ROPS is 4 separate pieces and just bolts in. This was on an RTV900XTG

Attachments

• ROPS.jpg
    ROPS.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 72

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum.

Not sure what your terrain conditions are where you would be using the RTV but something I'm thinking of is to swap out the RTV tires for car tires. That would be the equivalent to the RTV's turf tires but car tires can be installed with a lower profile.

A couple members here have put car tires on their RTV's since most of their driving was on hard or paved surfaces.

Maine

The ROPS on our RTV-X1120 is four pieces bolted together: two inverted U shaped sides, an upper front crossmember and an upper rear crossmember. The bolts at the rear of the sides are accessible. The bolts at the front of the sides are accessible from the front after opening the hood. It appears that the two crossmembers could be removed, then the side pieces. The rear screen (if equipped) would need to be removed before disassembling the ROPS.

The bolt together ROPS

Based on the parts diagrams available online (such as at Messick's website) the RTV-X900 is the same.

Maine

I looked at Kubota Parts. It appears the ROPS is 4 separate pieces and just bolts in. This was on an RTV900XTG
Looks like the ROPS design was changed from front and rear frames with fore/aft members on the 900 models to side frames with crossmembers on the X900 and X1120 models with IRS. My note above is for the X900 and X1120.

Last edited:

mkc1962

Maine,

THATs what I'm talking about.....that image jives with what I thought I was seeing at the dealer....the 900 definately has a cross member...Thanks very much for the research....Great to hear!!

BCZOOM, I do plan to go with the worksite tires for now which did measure to be a bit smaller diameter than the ATV tires ( might have been why I measured 28.5 overall) as for anything any less would not really care for. I live in the country as well as occasional woods, and my place out of state is in the Smoky mountains. would probably be ok, but probably stay with the worksite. You dont by chance have any of the sizes that youve seen folks use do you?

BORDERCOLLIE, will probably get a download or cd version when I for sure buy the thing. Based on this most recent feedback you guys have given its about a 99% probability.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i looked at my suspension today and i don't think it would drop that much so please disregard the idea. rops modification is probably your best option. a good welder fabricator could cut a few inches out of it and repaint it so you would never know it.

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
One other idea might be to chop a few inches out of the height and weld it back together. Label and retain the segments you remove and replace them at a later time. That is unless you are really tall and need 100% of the headroom. I am not sure what Kubota would think about that but just a thought.

mkc1962

AURTHUR

atleast thanks for looking....based on the above stuff removing would not be hard to do....Yes I have also given thought to modifying but really did not want to do that unless it was an only option. I have all the tools and skills to handle such, but nobody wants to go chopping up something new unless its an only option.

PAWPAW....lol....don't really care what Kubota would think....everything in life I own never sees the dealer floor again as it is. I 100% maintain all I own. However, under warranties I do run the fluids they recommend and document all work just in case.

hondajoe

Roll cage

From the factory the cage is layed down seen it in a crate I mean un bolted for shipping mine was in a crate.You know if you roll this without a cage up side down your not going to get out from under it to heavy.But if you roll this with the cage without your belt same difference roll cage smashes you.I understand about the trailer you have to buy one 1 foot taller to haul the Kubota you cant buy one used.Iam going a different direction for a trailer in the long haul I thank I would cut the cage down in height but some after market parts would need fitting.JOE