Tractor hurt me today

jwstewar

Staff member
I went outside today to do a little puttering around with the tractor. Was feeling pretty good. Just found my 9/16 wrench that I had lost - found it up in the truck frame. Went back to the tractor. Because the barn it such a mess I had to walk around the right side of it. I have the rear blade on so I can clear snow if we get it. Had to step over the rear blade twice to get to the other side of the door so I could unlock it. Put the garage door up. Turn around to walk up along side the tractor so I could get on. When WAM!!! I ran into the rear blade - not a little bit, but square into it. I end up falling over top of it and end up catch myself on the rear tire of the tractor and end up on the floor but my legs are still up on the blade. Ended up skinning both legs up from bottom of my shins clear up to my knees. Drawing a little bit of blood in a few places. I'm OK, just a bit sore. I never figured if I ever got hurt on the tractor it would be while it was sitting in the garage and not even running.:bonk:

Nicahawk

I've done that...it hurts like hell, but I always look around to make sure no one was watching. Then I check out the damage.

Glad your ok, could have been bad if you broke something. I'm almost 68 and that is my one big concern.

Take care.

EastTexFrank

Gold Site Supporter
You got another, "Been there, done that" from me.

In my case it was the bush hog I tripped over.

I let the three dogs out late at night. They ran round the side of the house and all hell broke loose. I took off to see what was happening and run round the back of the tractor. I ran round the bush hog but ran in to the trailing wheel brace. I went ass over tip, bounced my head off the driveway and ended up laying on my back staring up at the stars and seeing stars at the same time.

Those darned tractors are dangerous even when they are parked. You gotta be careful. :)

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sorry to hear that Jim. Should you back your rig in so you don't need to step over the blade?

I too have fallen on implements. Worst was when I was a kid. Nighttime and my parents were having a big party at the house. There was about 15 of us kids so we went outside to play kick-the-can. I took off running as fast as I could. Rounded some trees on the far end of the yard and BANK. Shins first into a set of disk harrows. Obviously, after the shins, I did a full body and face plant onto the top of it. I was cut and bruised head-to-toe. The other kids dragged me to the house where the parents took over. Probably 100 people in there and my Mom and the neighbor (a nurse) stripped me down right there on the couch in the middle of this huge crowd. I felt so embarrassed.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I was building a little shooting range / target holder with 4x4's and 1x6 and 2x6's. Just using whatever I had around to scrap this together. Carrying some of the wood from the rear of the pole barn I'msqueezing past the bush hog, which is placed inbetween two boats. I triped over the 4x4 that was sticking out of the bush hog an inch or two. I was lucky and able to catch myself after I dropped the wood I was carrying. Then not 5 minutes later working another board out of the pile that was wedged in something slipped and I smashed the crap out of my thumb. Looks like I'll loose that nail. The pressure made it hurt and throb yesterday but today it is more bearable. Course after I did that I put on the gloves I had in my pocket ..that I should have had on all along. :pat: :pat:
But at least I do have a little shooting range now. :D

ki0ho

Gold Site Supporter
tractors

I think Ive pulled about every laps of jugement in the books through the years......any more every time I go out I try to remind myself...that it is at least an hours trip to the hospital from here and keep it in mind all day....thank the lord mom is around to patch me up most of the time!!!

Humblecowboy

I'm thinking of getting full body armor anymore. I.m always finding something to get myself hurt and I'm not even looking for it. Usually I'm always looking for something else until I forget what it was I was looking for. Bet my barn has more STUFF in it than yours.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Your barn might have more stuff but I bet I'd give ya a good run for the money. :yum: :thumb:

....but that is what they are for, to store STUFF! right? :D

Last edited:

jwstewar

Staff member
I resemble that remark Doc.

Though I did add to my collection the other day. I brought home some of Dad's things when I brought the Snapper rider home with the broken rocker arm stud. I brought Dad's 1965ish Sears Suburban home that he was working on a no start issue that has now turned into a major electrical issue as he had disconnected most of the wires, his old Gravely Walk-behind that he has taken several things off of, and his old David Bradley Rototiller. I brought home a whole trailer of stuff and not a one of them would start.:shitHitsFan:

As soon as parts come in, I'll get the Snapper going. Thought the Sears Suburban was going to be an easy fix, but now I wil have to find what he did with all of the parts he took off and where all of the those wires go.:bonk:. I knew the Gravely was going to be a long haul project. Rototiller needs the pull rope/coil put back together to see if anything else wrong with it - don't think so....but....

Of course this goes along with my 2 rolling tool chests, L-Shaped work bench w/ sink and water heater, 3 file cabinets full of power tools, band saw, table saw, miter saw & stand, metal chop saw, drill press, a couple of shelves, my New Holland w/ FEL & MMM, box blade, bushhog, PHD, 4 weedeaters, Troy-bilt tiller, 2 push mowers, edger, high-wheeled string trimmer, power washer, sandblaster 2 kids 4-wheelers, air compressor, couple of picnic tables, 2 8' tables, cement mixer, parts for a float, a bistro set still in the box, a table & chair set for a deck - still in the boxes, 4 bicycles, a 55 gallon aquarium, hay & straw for the kids' goats, and who knows what else. I still manage to park my Silverado in there and currently have Mom's '96 Beretta w/ 50k actual miles on that needs a timing chain cover gasket replaced.

And Monica wonders why you have to step over stuff to get in it and why I can't figure out how to straighten it up:shitHitsFan:

BigAl

I went outside today to do a little puttering around with the tractor. Was feeling pretty good. Just found my 9/16 wrench that I had lost - found it up in the truck frame. Went back to the tractor. Because the barn it such a mess I had to walk around the right side of it. I have the rear blade on so I can clear snow if we get it. Had to step over the rear blade twice to get to the other side of the door so I could unlock it. Put the garage door up. Turn around to walk up along side the tractor so I could get on. When WAM!!! I ran into the rear blade - not a little bit, but square into it. I end up falling over top of it and end up catch myself on the rear tire of the tractor and end up on the floor but my legs are still up on the blade. Ended up skinning both legs up from bottom of my shins clear up to my knees. Drawing a little bit of blood in a few places. I'm OK, just a bit sore. I never figured if I ever got hurt on the tractor it would be while it was sitting in the garage and not even running.:bonk:

Heck ! Thats just an average day around here . I can't chew Bubble Gum and walk at the same time anymore . The wife just bought a Industrial size first aid kit . I am the only guy I know that takes pain meds before I go outside in the morning !!!:bonk::boom:

Humblecowboy

Yep, that's the important part.

I see a "Show us your barn" thread coming soon...

I was thinking the same thing and I know I'd win. When I first got this place the folks who moved out left a barn full of stuff and I asked my kids "How could anybody collect so much STUFF?" Well, we cleaned it out, swept it and I was ready to put my wood shop together . . . that is until it got full of STUFF!. :pat: