How do you sharpen your mower blades?

shinnlinger

Hi,

I can always take them off, but does anyone leave the blades on and hit them with a die grinder or something?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've had mine sharpened at a country store down the road. If I did it myself I'd do it more often. What kind of 4" grinders are you using? Air tool or electric? Where can you get them and how much do they run?

urednecku

I pull mine off, clamp in a bench vise, & use a 4" electric hand grinder. (Doc, mine is just an 'el-cheepo' I think from Harbor Freight or the likes, probably only $20 or $30.) When I buy a new set, I keep the old ones until they are too far gone to be safe, so I just switch out...then sharpen as/when I get a chance. I have 3 sets now, but my gatorblades are about too far gone, so I'm about to order a new set.

Does anybody know of a low-price supplier of GatorBlades?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I"ve never sharpened the blade on my brush hog.

Thanks for the info RN. Next time I'm in harbor freight I'll pick up a grinder. :thumb: :D

B

bczoom

I take them off and use a belt sander to sharpen. I prefer it to a grinder since I can do 3" instead of 1".

shinnlinger

Doc,

You can get far more reputable grinders for not a whole lot more at your local box store. Makita comes to mind. I have a milwaukee 4-1/2 that I have had for 15 years. My logic is a $20 tool that will last you the summer (if you are lucky) is not a better deal than a $80 tool that will last you the decade (Or more).

Texas,

I like your hand file idea on the mower blade, but I need to track down some good files.

I was just thinking aloud as I do have a die grinder but realize most people don't Don't see any harm in taking it to the brush hog. I need to flip the flails in that rig so I wont even bother trying it there, but the little cub cadet might get some attention.

Mith

I use an angle grinder, definitely take them off the sharpen. That way when you come to replace the blade it wont be rusted on :D
I did buy a little cone blade balancer, cost about $8 and takes the guesswork out of blade balancing.

Cant see using a file to sharpen blades, it would take an age. Or maybe you guys sharpen your blades more often? :D
Once a year here on the mowers, or there abouts. Dont think I ever sharpened the blades on the topper.

Oldhand

I always take mine off, sharpen on a bench grinder, check for balance. May touch them up with a Nicholson file. Notice I didn't say Cheapie file:wink:

urednecku

My logic is a $20 tool that will last you the summer (if you are lucky) is not a better deal

About the only action my el-cheapo gets is to sharpen the lawnmower blades. It's lasted for about 6 or 8 years so far, & still going strong. And I only mow about 2 times, depending on how high the grass gets, between having to have sharpen blades.
But, if you might use it more than that, the higher-end ones would be better.

rebojo

I pull mine off, clamp in a bench vise, & use a 4" electric hand grinder. (Doc, mine is just an 'el-cheepo' I think from Harbor Freight or the likes, probably only $20 or $30.) When I buy a new set, I keep the old ones until they are too far gone to be safe, so I just switch out...then sharpen as/when I get a chance. I have 3 sets now, but my gatorblades are about too far gone, so I'm about to order a new set.

Does anybody know of a low-price supplier of GatorBlades?
Agri Supply- check web site & find store near you or order from them. I live in Stockbridge, Ga. and usually visit the store in Tifton, Ga. Peace, rebojo

urednecku

Thanks, rebojo, they have the best prices I've seen yet. It's a little outta my way to stop by, Tifton is about 335 miles from me, so I'll be ordering from them. Just gotta make sure of the blade hole size.

Brutus

4" angle grinder to sharpen 'em. Like Mith, I have the cone balancer and just keep hitting 'em on the bench grinder to finish the balance. A knife blade works well for balancing too! Just insert the tip into the center hole in the blade and hold 'er up!
Mine only get sharpened once a year, usually. I should do it more often. Mower takes less power if sharp, plus you get a nicer cut, rather than ripping the grass off.:pat:

WFH

Seventeen post and I only see one guy mention balancing his blades. Its a lot easier on the moving parts if you balance those blades. You can get one of the cone type that just sets on your bench for around $5.

Brutus

I always take mine off, sharpen on a bench grinder, check for balance. May touch them up with a Nicholson file. Notice I didn't say Cheapie file:wink:

4" angle grinder to sharpen 'em. Like Mith, I have the cone balancer and just keep hitting 'em on the bench grinder to finish the balance. A knife blade works well for balancing too! Just insert the tip into the center hole in the blade and hold 'er up!
Mine only get sharpened once a year, usually. I should do it more often. Mower takes less power if sharp, plus you get a nicer cut, rather than ripping the grass off.:pat:

I use an angle grinder, definitely take them off the sharpen. That way when you come to replace the blade it wont be rusted on :D
I did buy a little cone blade balancer, cost about $8 and takes the guesswork out of blade balancing.

Cant see using a file to sharpen blades, it would take an age. Or maybe you guys sharpen your blades more often? :D
Once a year here on the mowers, or there abouts. Dont think I ever sharpened the blades on the topper.

Looks like 3 of us balance our blades. :hide:

jwstewar

Staff member
I use the 4" grinder to sharpen and then a nail driven into a post in the garage to balance. I usually do it 2 to 3 times a year. Usually once before the season and then a couple of times throughout.