2014 RTV 900 Transmission

McKubota

Morning all

Have a question. I have a 2014 RTV900XTWL-H with about 4800 hours. I think the transmission has gone south. Did a service on the transmission, fluid and filters about 600 hours ago. Now it has developed a strong vibration when accelerating and lacks any kind of power. I changed the fluid and filters again, with genuine Kubota parts. but no change. When I removed the plug to drain the trans and found the plug covered in metal. OH BOY!! not good.
Do you all think im barking up the right tree in my thinking the transmission has had it? Or might there be another fix.

Thanks for any help.

Robert

ovrszd

There are a lot of things to go wrong in there. But, by your description, I think you are on the right track. I would suggest a visit to your dealer and talk to them about this. You might get lucky and it be a simple thing. And the visit might also give you some insight as to the potential "bad" problem......

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
If you had the old style ujoints and no metal fragments on the plug,, I'd say look at that area. Mark S Sibole one of our great forum members, had a good post about vibration caused by the ujoints being out of phase (after they were replaced). I think there was also a good one by great member Kanook.
However, metal shavings put a different picture in the works... It sounds like an internal problem with the metal on the magnetic plug.. I hope the best though. collie

Last edited:

McKubota

Well I think I am correct in my assumption. I talked to the dealer and they seem to think its dead as well. $7000.00 for a new transmission!!! WOW. Going to have to think hard about that one.

Thanks for the reply's!

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Ask around about a used or rebuilt one or getting yours rebuilt. Google can be you friend here. Ebay has used for about $2000. Not inexpensive but better than a new one.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Ask around about a used or rebuilt one or getting yours rebuilt. Google can be you friend here. Ebay has used for about $2000. Not inexpensive but better than a new one.

Good advice Avantiguy .. I'd personally never pay $7 grand .. I'd just have to start walking until I could find a used Kubota and part mine out to offset but that is just me. You don't happen to have the Kubota insurance do you? collie

McKubota

I appreciate all the info everyone, thank you. Another question if I may.
This is my first Kubota. Since I lack experience with Kubota can any one give me info as to reliability. I have found a few used transmissions but if mine went out whats the chance of a used unit not lasting long.

Alaskanassasin

Site Supporter
I can't speak for everyone on this forum but I personally have had great luck with kubota, personally I would rather have kubota over John Deere. I don't know what overall condition your RTV is in but if the tranny blew it may have been abused or neglected, not knowing how your individual unit was cared for I would be sure and shake every moving part, u joints, a arms, cv joints? Wheel bearings, differential oils ect. Before sinking serous money.... that being said I don't think there is a better built longer lasting RTV in existence

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
I doubt that the transmission has gone bad. although the hydro stat might be bad. i would take it to a shop that rebuilds hydro stats and ask them to go through it before i bought used. you could probably save a lot of money if you removed it from the machine first.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I agree with the previous comments. You never know about the health of a used unit unless you know the person well. I was just hoping you could get one that the engine was bad . Like Arthuritis mentioned, a second opinion is vital before spending a hunk of money. It would possibly be feasible to rebuild yours less than the cost of buying an unknown.. , if it is even needed, So the metal stuck on the magnetic thread... wondering what did it look like ? bigger pieces or dusty type ? The filters are probably partially blocked if much is in there....
Also wondering about the ports where you put in the refill oil.... There have been complaints about the poor manuals on recent models not being specific on the right fill ports... Seriously.... Folks have described similar symptoms like yours because of the poorly labeled and poorly described fill ports on the newer machines.. not sure if yours is one of those mentioned in those threads.... bordercollie

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
bordercollie brings up a very relevant comment. before you go and remove your hydrostat lest do a few simple tests.
1.put the unit in neutral and on a hard level surface,get behind it and push it and pull it by hand. it should roll easily.
2. make sure you have plenty of oil in the hydraulic tank under the seat. this is the hydro oil.
3. remove the filters and with a filter cutter open them up and check for debris,cuttings,brass and steel plastic etc.
4.jack up each rear wheel independently and make sure none of the axle splines are stripped.

if you removed the plug from the rear tranny case and found steel on the magnet,that is normal because the rear case is separate from the hydro and contains the gears. the plug in the bottom of the hydro tank under the seat would indicate wear from the hydrostat. the filters would tell you the most.