Bordercollie Belle loses driving privileges

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Well it happened today. We were moving cows across the little road between pastures . I always park the RTV to block the road (no traffic) so the cows won't turn and that directs them on across the road to the other pasture. I am on foot at the rear of the machine. Well today,I leave Belle the bordercollie on the RTV. I call her to come to me and what does she do but step on the accelerator! Down the terrible ditch the RTV goes before she gets off the petal and the engine braking and a log save the RTV from a nasty nose dive into the jagged culvert. I have always left the RTV in gear so I can get and go but no longer! The RTV, 4 wd , the grips of the 589's and a tug from the ATV and she climbed right out. Everything appears ok. bordercollie

Attachments

• 0613120957.jpg
    0613120957.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 312
  • 0613120953.jpg
    0613120953.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 313

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
I hope Belle is okay. She might want to consider wearing her passengers side seat belt to keep her out of trouble.

My what green grass you have. I'm still looking for a temporary home for my small herd. Interested??????????????????

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I remember well the past 2 years and the terrible droughts here. We have been blessed this year and I hope the rain continues to pop up. I hope and pray you get some too Pepr.Nothing worse that a cattleman not having any grass.
We are selling the commercial calves in the am-The picture is of part of the registered bull calves and their mamas. We are weaning them starting tonight. Will need earplugs and a ceiling fan on high to drown out that noise. next we will wean the reg heifers . We alternate the weanings because of the room required with barb wire. We have them close to the mamas with just barb wire between so they can nose but not nurse. Much less stressful that way. Soon they will just be staying at the feed troughs and the mamas will be out gazing and it will be done. bordercollie

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Hey bordercollie...
....... please be nice to belle, for she did not intend for this to happen.
THANK GOD she's ok. ( And you too !!!! ) We can always replace the RTV's, but we can't replace the love that our friends give us.

Happy everything is fine & nobody got hurt. The life we live, things like that is going to happen. Please Forgive her this time.

I always leave mine in gear, it won't roll that way. MIght want to just engage the brake.

Bet it scared the whoooo whooo out of you. Spooked me and just reading this.

While working the cows, keep water for you and co-pilots, it's hot out there again this year ........

Attachments

• Mama Hog.jpg
    Mama Hog.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 285

doggman

Border collies are terrible drivers. Shelties are even worse.

Max and Lotus maneuvering a load of insulated concrete forms to a remote jobsite in the Ozarks. You just don't want them touching the dump controls.

(Actually Belle did a better job of driving than my nephews who put my 4X6 Gator in a lake...)

Attachments

• Max, Lotus, and Alice in RTV.jpg
    Max, Lotus, and Alice in RTV.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 263

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
Heck, that don't look no worse than mine when we are getting wood on the sidehill up here. She must have panicked and just kept her foot on the throttle to have it go that far.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Watch it Zoom, I told Belle where you live. ;) Doggman , those are some fine looking pups! Muleman, Belle said that is what happens when I make her stay on the floor, she just can't see over the steering wheel from there. Two Guns, come to find out she said she was trying to "cut off a wayward cow" and got too excited. It would not have happened had I not called to her from the road behind the RTV. Well not to worry, I love that pup and she always sticks with me or the RTV and I would never take away the riding privileges just the driving. Also, she is very faithful! and that is the best compliment I can give her even though I must admit she can't drive worth anything. I always carry a water source for her but she does have her a separate cup :). bordercollie

ps the adopted black cat is there too in the picture too, and Belle - both keeping me company while working on the RTV.

Attachments

• DSCF3066.jpg
    DSCF3066.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 256

Heatwave

I saw a good sticker on a pickup truck rear window this morning ... one of those vinyl graphic things :

My Collie is smarter than your Honor Student

I need to get one of those made up for my Sheltie, Nubbin. Nubbin loves to drive the truck and the RTV. He really isn't very good at driving either, but that doesn't bother him.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Now that sounds about right in a lot of cases Heatwave. Squerly, She wasn't too worried but when she saw me holding onto the tailgate and my feet slipping (like that would help) she was a little concerned about that look I gave her. Then she got on to business helping move the cows- -after the RTV was out of the ditch. "She likes to give the cows "the Look" too. :) bordercollie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Mark that was "ruff" alright but all is fine now . Belle is back to business- she is the first collie Millie is the 2nd. bordercollie.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 222

XTROOPER

I keep hearing how smart Border Collies are. Now I know they can drive (although not too well). Glad the machine and pup are O.K. Never a dull moment with you and yours. XTROOPER

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Xtrooper, there is always something going on here and never a dull moment - I caught Belle picking figs the other day. I had wondered why some green figs were at the back door and then... caught in the act.. now she eats the evidence. Mark I think I may give a pardon in a couple of weeks- I need her help, dog gone it. and Art, Will I ever learn? You can see Belle's mouth is open- She is yacking while looking at the shifter that it was all my fault " look see I told you it was in gear and you are still doing it". Thank you guys for the light hearted laughs- it has been good for me during these times. bordercollie