Dump bed hydraulic outlets for tool usage

doggman

Does anybody have any experience with using the dump bed hydraulic outlets for tool usage?</p>

I picked up a used hydraulic branch lopper that doesn't require much flow or pressure. I can't justify the $1000 set-up for the extra reservoir, cooler, outlets, etc.since this might get used a few hoursevery once in awhile. Kubota says you can run tools off the bed circuit. However, there's been several postsby folks who have melted their tanks from inadvertently running with the bed lever in the raised position so I'm a little shy about doing this. </p>

my understanding is the heat is being generated due to the pump trying to force the cylinder when it has reached its travel limit. in view of the fact that your loper presumably bypasses the fluid back to the tank when not being activated, this should not cause you a problem. at least thats the way that the unit i saw worked. you may want to keep a check on the tank temperature until you feel comfortable that its not creating excessive heat.</p>

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
As Kanook says I would keep an eye onthe tank temp. Are you going to unhook the lift cylinder? If you are only using the lopper your heat generation should be very low as this is intermittent use. Assume you will have someone working the bed lever to operate your lopper. If you leave it in raise postion you will need to be able to bypass fluid to the return or you will have the same situation as running with the cylinder bottomed out. A lopper is a far cry from the heat generated by a hydraulic motor in constant use. The 2 extra ports may be for full time flow. I have never hooked anything to mine as I have a skid steer with aux. hydraulics that is much better suited to grapples etc.</p>

doggman

Does anybody know the exact type of quick disconnect couplers that are on the RTV900 dump bed hydraulic outlet? I think they are 3/8" flush face quick disconnects but I'm not 100% sure. I'll be miles away from the machine for a week so I can't go lay my hands on it. I'd like to pick up the couplers while I'm away. Thanks!</p>

ne-sd

The package that my ends came in show 1/4" nipple 72N4-4F. The Kubota part no. 75536-66220 (Made in USA). I use my hydraulics for a small light steel bender, but I use the control lever to actuate the ram so that I don't leave the hydraulics in the run position. I do plan on using the hydraulics to lift and drop my snow plow next year but again I will use the control lever.</p>

doggman

Thanks! I have 3/8" hoses for the lopper so I'll need to bushthem down to 1/4" NPT for the Kubota outlet connectors. </p>

I went to the Kubota site for hydraulic tools - I forgot they have everything from submersible pumps to concrete cutting chain saws. Other than the forestry tools I like the fence post driver and puller. That would have helped preserve my spinal canal...:)</p>

Anyone know of a 6'x8' duimp trailer on the market that could plug into the Kubota outlets. I don't want to use the bed on the RTV1140because I keep a tool box in it.</p>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm a fan of Big Tex and Car-Mate trailers. I've heard Bri-Mar makes a nice dump trailer as well. Not sure if Car-Mate is a national or regional seller.</p>

What are you dumping (and how often)? I have considered a dump trailer but it just doesn't work right for me.</p>

The dump trailers I've seen in that size normally come with a self-contained, pre-installed electric over hydraulic setup already installed. Not an issue, but an expense. Personally, I would have gone with a 6x10 so I could put the RTV in it and haul with my truck. Well, be it 6x8 or 6x10, they're darn heavy. A decent one weighs probably 2000# empty. That's too much weight for the hills I have. It'll push the RTV down hills to a very dangerous point (and it's not even loaded yet).</p>