Headlights and accessory outlet dead

kas1263

I have an RTV 900 and noticed the headlights no longer come on. I checked the fuse and it had blown. I replaced the fuse and the lights still don't come on. I then tried to use the accessory outlet and found that it was dead. I checked the fuse and it was good but no power to it. Anyone have any suggestions for trouble shooting?

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
There might be a naked wire causing it to blow the fuse. Do your gauges light up? Or the tail light/brake lights? I would also check the ground where it goes to the frame. I have known of mice causing lots of chaos with their pesky chewing . Do you have a test light ?

v10rick

Site Supporter
The headlight power comes from the ignition switch. Are you certain the ignition was on while you tested for power at the fuse?

The power to the headlamp fuse is the Red/White wire at the ignition switch.
No voltage there would indicate the switch is kaput.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Good point v10rick. That may be it.
I also remember a positive cable on my battery with a factory connector that went bad It had several wires if I remember right. I used some connectors to bypass it and got by but just make sure that all of the connectors are good at the battery too.

kas1263

Thanks for the suggestions. I won't be able to check until the end of the week. I will report when I find something.