Pinion seal replacement

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
]I posted part of this in a different thread but will follow up here.
I was working on the fence and a piece of stray wire became wrapped around the yoke of the front driveshaft right where the seal is. I cut it off best I could because a bad looking storm was approaching. I cautiously got to the barn and parked because oil was leaking out of the diff. I took off the shaft after marking everything so I could but every piece back just like it was when the project was finished. I tied it to the side out of the way, with the 2 exposed ujoints clamped so the caps wouldn't fall off . and then started getting off the yoke. I had to use a 1 1/8 " socket and the newer impact wrench because the old one didn't have enough umpt. I tugged on it but it wouldn't budge so used an ancient gear puller and a piece of small chain bolted around the olk so that I would have a better grip. It zipped right off with the impact wrench.. I now removed the last piece of wire that ruined the seal. It was wound so tight that it looked like a spring( about 4 winds worth) The seal was a little harder to remove but had a great outcome with a sharpened screwdriver that had the tip slightly bent. I carefully lifted up the edge of the seal's flange by tapping the blade of the bent screwdriver tip under it and slowly went around, lifting it, as far as I could go. Then, I gave it a pry and out it popped. Now waiting on the backordered seal. The screwdriver with the bent tip kept me from gouging the seat. Here's the link I used again in case the other thread wasn't read. Now waiting on seal to come in. bordercollie

edit : It's really important to mark everything before disassembling. other thread here : http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17988 I should have put them together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=Z0zz1_4UYqk

Last edited:

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
This is a picture of the wire that ruined the seal.

Attachments

• KIMG0250.jpg
    KIMG0250.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 39

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Well, after wasting several hours looking for another seal, I contacted the guy that actually sold me the Roxor (nice guy named Jared) and he then contacted HQ and learned there had indeed been a warehouse fire about a month ago that destroyed much inventory including the pinion seals there. He also asked about the likelihood of using a substitute Dana seal- but thats a negative.. Seems mahindra makes their own front diff and although it is very much like a Dana is not quite the same. He said they would try and scout one out for me but the chances are slim on finding one.
I saw on the net, where they were listed for sale in India but think I'll wait and deal with a place within the US. You'd think if India really had them, then they would be on the way to HQ here ... well, you would think so... bordercollie

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Do you know the part #? I see 2 different pinion seals from various India vendors on Ebay. None specify if the part is front, rear, year models.

The seals are under $10, shipped. I think I would go with a vendor that has at least a couple hundred good feedback, and has the shortest delivery time.

Search on 'willys mahindra pinion seal' to exclude tractor parts. Also, searching on 'willys mahindra' and 'mahindra jeep' brings up other OEM parts you can get from India that the US distributor may not stock.

You might find that parts support from India is better than local support.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thank you California !! I'm going to do that. I do have the part number thank the Lord. However, its a Mahindra part number and can't find it listed on ebay . collie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
The jeep seal came in and I put it on- so far so good- it was for a jeep and the outer flange and inner dimensions on rubber seal were right. I rather not post a link because it's not perfect . I have to get back on the farm work though and its not leaking .

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
The Jeep pinion seal is still doing great . I canceled the prepaid oem pinion seal order from my local dealer and got a refund at the end of September. Today Oct 9th, almost 3 months after I ordered the oem seals from my dealer, I got a call saying the pinion seals were in and did I want them.. I said no.. that the jeep seal they wouldn't tell me about , was doing just fine. He was apologetic and offered future help on whatever I needed... but I know I would have been up the creek without a paddle without that jeep pinion seal that I had to search out on my own... even after I point blank asked , they had said "no it was a little different"....... :2gunsfiring_v1:
Now I buy from Sherwood tractor in Ark and have the order shipped. OEM filters only 6.99 and comes to my door without risking life going to Jackson.