BX23 backhoe ?

richgvt

The bx 23 is my first tractor and have a question using the backhoe. It seems that you have to do one operation at a time. If I try to raise the boom and extend the dipper stick at the same time it doesn't move in unison. I have to raise it then extend it. I can extend and move the bucket together. It makes it a lot slower using it. I'm also not sure how high the engine should rev. I think the manual says 75% of rated rpm. Since there is no tach how do you know. Thanks for any advice.

that is one reason i didnt but the kubota , because i was told they would not work together ,so thats why i went with a different tractor, u can bet the kubota dealer didnt tell me that , another dealer told me , and when i checked it wastrue , and yes it does make it a much slower operation

richgvt

I just use it around the house so it is not a big deal to me. I just wanted to know if there was something wrong with the tractor or if I was not using it right. The manual says you can do two operations at once.

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
You could get a PTO driven hydraulic pump for the hoe and then you wouldn't have that issue.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
You sure? My backhoe has a PTO pump but operates as richgvt describes.

It seems that while one valve is sending fluid against no resistance, it can't build up pressure in another. Some functions can be simultaneous if both are working against resistance.

Also when one function reaches its limit then does offer resistance, say maximum boom lift, anther simultaneous function (swing) will accelerate unexpectedly. Learning this stuff is simply part of becoming a smooth operator.

Running the PTO pump at top rated speed (it is labelled 'don't exceed 800 rpm', and the tractor has 540/1000 rpm PTO output) has no effect on this.

I think you need separate pumps powering separate circuits before you can apply full force to two functions simultaneously.

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter
You sure? My backhoe has a PTO pump but operates as richgvt describes.

It seems that while one valve is sending fluid against no resistance, it can't build up pressure in another. Some functions can be simultaneous if both are working against resistance.

Also when one function reaches its limit then does offer resistance, say maximum boom lift, anther simultaneous function (swing) will accelerate unexpectedly. Learning this stuff is simply part of becoming a smooth operator.

Running the PTO pump at top rated speed (it is labelled 'don't exceed 800 rpm', and the tractor has 540/1000 rpm PTO output) has no effect on this.

I think you need separate pumps powering separate circuits before you can apply full force to two functions simultaneously.

I thought the issue was only one operation at a time? Full force was never mentioned, all he wants is two operations at a time. I have never seen a hoe that couldn't extend and swing (or raise) at the same time.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
He mentioned that some functions can be simultaneous, some can't. It sounds like he has about the same feature set as my 30 year old antique. (Made in USA by Woods, then labelled Kubota and Yanmar).

I think it would need check valves, not just more volume, to eliminate the effect of one circuit bleeding off the pressure that another circuit needs.

More rpm (volume) doesn't make mine operate differently, that just makes it more abrupt during a single function.

Art454

I can use mine together....only when you us 2 at once they both slow down.
I run mine at full throttle then back it off a bit so its not so fast it jurks you all over the place.
Had mine sine it was new. Did increase the pressue a bit by adding a shim i bought from kubota. Just 1 thin shim help a lot.

Art

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Ok, I had a backhoe project today and I tried all combinations of compound motions. Boom up/swing on one stick, simultaneous with dipper extend/uncurl on the other, etc.

With no load, every combination could operate simultaneously.

This was using 1700 rpm engine speed while 2200 is needed to get 540 on the pto, so about 417 rpm pto input.

Digging or even lifting a bucket of dirt was another story, when one circuit met resistance it would stop while the other lighter motion(s) continued.

Art454

Ok, I had a backhoe project today and I tried all combinations of compound motions. Boom up/swing on one stick, simultaneous with dipper extend/uncurl on the other, etc.

This was using 1700 rpm engine speed while 2200 is needed to get 540 on the pto, so about 417 rpm pto input.

Digging or even lifting a bucket of dirt was another story, when one circuit met resistance it would stop while the other lighter motion(s) continued.

I don't get it.....the bx 23tlb comes with the loader backhoe as one....

Why worry about 540 pto.....Like I said I just run at full throttle then back it off just a tad.....some times I just run it at full speed.....I have dug out 3 foot trees and rip threw the roots if you get them just right.....Like I said I put 1 extra shim to boost pressure and that did help a lot.....just one thin one is all I used......I bought some extras in case one didn't help....but 1 is all I needed.....You don't want to much pressure as you could blow the pump out...I have had the front of the tractor off the ground 2 feet while digging out the roots.....they are tough sometimes.....Am in a wheelchair so I cant get off to use a chain saw.....but this year I bought a stihl trim saw with a 14 inch bar...goes from 6 feet to 11 feet so now I just dig around the big roots then use the chain saw on them.....makes the job go faster....I been clearing my 6 acre woods and have 550 hours on mine.

Buy a repair manual from kubota helps a lot and tells you were the pressure spring is and all the goodies.....There worth the money hands down....you have to be able to fix that stuff yourself unless you have deep pockets...
GL

Unless I you bought the backhoe after you bought the bx23....but I thought the bx23 was only a tlb.

I just looked at my litature and the bx23 is only TLB.

Art

richgvt

I will try giving it more throttle next time. Sounds like mine is working the way it is supposed to work anyway.

Big Dog

Super Moderator
SUPER Site Supporter

Agreed, the power is proportional .............. if I'm ripping roots I either pull or curl but not both at the same time. I may try it BUT neither will have the power as using just one BUT both will work and may succeed if the resistance can be overwhelmed with both functions. I seldom run my hoe over 1700rpm but will if I need some extra umphh!