Sharpening topper (rotary cutter) blades

Mith

I took out some trees the other month with my topper, seems it did a number on the blades. They are worn right round, and have nothing like an edge on them.

I was going to grind a chamfer on the top edge, till there is a 1/16" flat on the front face. I believe this is what is recommended for rough cutting blades?
Probably just grind them while they are on there. Save the hassle of trying to get the bolts undone. First stump I hit will likely undo all my good work anyway.

Do you guys even bother sharpening the blades on your rotary cutter?

ghautz

Someone said you can cut grass with a 2x4 if you spin it fast enough. I don't think my tractor will spin dull blades fast enough to cut my grass.

I lift mine and support it with blocks and crawl under with a 4" (10cm to those accustomed to metric dimensions) hand grinder whenever I find some rocks. The operator's manual doesn't mention sharpening the blades, so I don't know the specs. I try to maintain the original angle with a small flat edge.

Last winter I dug out the wife's flowers, which she had surrounded with rocks. My blade sharpening sessions should decrease in frequency.

Mith

True, dull blades will cut, but sharp blades do a better job for sure :D
I seem to get stalks left cutting grass with dull blades. On the junk it doesnt make a difference sharp or not though.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Nope, I've never sharpened mine .....but I have to admit, it sounds like a good idea. I also like the idea of sharpening them while still on, and not having to mess with taking them off the rotary cutter. :thumb: