Spouting Drainage

jwstewar

Staff member
I've been trying all summer to get the drain lines in for the sump pump and the spouting on the house. It seemed like the spring and first part of the summer were really wet or I had something to do and wasn't able to get to it. Well, now that fall is quickly approaching it has dried out enough I've been able to do it. The excavating company wanted $1400 to do it. I'm going to be around $300 in material plus $125 for the middle buster and a tank of diesel.

I've already put a PVC line in for the sump pump and one of 4" flexible lines for the spouting. You can see the trails of them after I've covered them back over in the pics. The line I'm putting in now will handle the water from part of the back and the side. Still have one more to do that will handle the rest of the back and other side of the garage.

Attachments

• 107_0283.jpg
    107_0283.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 107_0285.JPG
    107_0285.JPG
    358.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 107_0286.JPG
    107_0286.JPG
    300.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 107_0287.jpg
    107_0287.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 107_0288.jpg
    107_0288.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 107_0281.JPG
    107_0281.JPG
    324.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 107_0282.JPG
    107_0282.JPG
    328 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

jwstewar

Staff member
Thought I should give a little bit of detail about the trench itself. I'm getting a total of probably 8 - 9" of depth. Could probably get a little bit more if I pulled the spoils back from the sides, but that isn't need in this case as then I would be below the road ditch that I'm heading to. This depth probably leaves 3 - 4" of soil above the pipe for grass and for strength so that it doesn't crush when driven over. BTW, Monica already drove the truck over the first one I put in when she had to come tow me out while I was mowing.

I will probably drag this once or twice more with the middle buster and then take the FEL and scoop the loose spoils out. I'll then lay the pipe in. Use the FEL to cover the end of it by the house. I'll then be able to take the box blade and cover the pipe of. It works pretty well. If I get enough dirt on top to start with, the box blade will then continue pulling the dirt on top, as well as filling dirt in on each side as I go. It keeps pulling the dirt from the spoils of the middle buster left on each side of the trench. The sides of the box blade keep it from spilling out farther into the yard and forcing it into the ditch. I couldn't have designed it to work any better.:cool:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good pics! Nice trench you dug there. Middle busters (aka potatoe plows) are perfect for that task. Sure sounds like you've got the system down pat. :thumb:

howierd3866

looks like you got it taken care of...is that pump to help push the water to the ditch or is there enought of a pitch.. hard to tell by the pics. nices house by the way

jwstewar

Staff member
looks like you got it taken care of...is that pump to help push the water to the ditch or is there enought of a pitch.. hard to tell by the pics. nices house by the way

Hi Howie,

Thanks for the complement on the house. We are pretty proud of it after the past year. See this thread: http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328 You can see some pictures of it being built here: Jims house building I also discussed the building process here: http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=12406

The sump pump is to pump water from the basement. Well, not really the basement, but there is drain tile that goes around the footer both inside and outside the basement walls. It gathers the water up and runs it to a sump - thus the name sump pump - the pump then pumps the water up out of the basement to daylight. In our case it goes out through the PVC pipe to the road ditch at the front of the house. I also have our Water Softener, Water Filter, the Heat Pump (AC), and the furnace draining into this sump as well, so the sump pump also push that water out. BTW, our land looks flat, but there is actually enough of the slope on the land that it naturally slopes toward the road so once the water is out of the basement, I don't have to pump it to the road, it will naturally flow there.

Last edited:

OhioTC18

Gold Site Supporter
Jim,
That's looking real good. Remember when I was there last? There was so much mud and water standing. I even told the siding guys they were about to be fired, they drug too much mud up on the porch :yum:

jwstewar

Staff member
Jim,
That's looking real good. Remember when I was there last? There was so much mud and water standing. I even told the siding guys they were about to be fired, they drug too much mud up on the porch :yum:

Yep, I remember that. Not much mud/water standing around now. Could actually use a bit of rain to make the digging easier and to help hold the dirt together to get it out of the trench easier. I used the loader last night to pull the loose stuff out of the bottom. It really had dried out since I had left it open. It was really crumbly and dusty. Kept falling back into the trench. Now just have to get that piece of metal on a long stick out to move some dirt up close to the house and I can drop the line in. Just not a lot of time in the evenings. The days are getting shorter quick.